My latest gun show find

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by TINCANBANDIT, Apr 5, 2014.

1. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

I picked up this Sorterized Arisaka m99 for $35 (it also included a new box of Hornandy 7.7mm ammo).
    The gun was probably sporterized in the 50's or 60's, it has a nice walnut monte carlo style stock with an ebony fore tip. They shortened and recrowned the barrel and added a custom front sight and a Lyman rear peep sight. The bolt was modified using what looks like the back half of a M1903 Springfield bolt, and a custom safety was added.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided to turn this into my next project, here is a list of the things I want to fix:

The recoil pad is very lacking, the LOP is a bit short at 12.5", so a new "grind to fit" recoil pad will be added
    [​IMG]

Trigger guard is too wide, I will slim it down to give it a more graceful look before polishing it like chrome and hot bluing it
    [​IMG]

The Cheek weld is a bit big, I will shorten it both in height and length.
    [​IMG]

I will also thin the comb and add some flutes to the front of it, I will cut two lines for the border of the flutes, one will follow the lines of the pistol grip, the other will follow a straight line towards the toe
    [​IMG]

I will refinish the stock with B-C Tru-oil and reblue the barrel and action using the rust blue technique. I am in the process of mixing my own nitre bluing salts and if it works I will nitre blue the extractor and the screws/bolts.

The bolt will be polished and engine turned. I think I might make some custom pillars and glass bed the stock (I have to take it apart to see what the innards look like before I decide)

Finally I would like to try my hand at checking.

I figure I only have $35 in the gun and the value in terms of collect-ability is already lost, so I have nothing to lose.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  2. stag556

stag556 New Member

Congrats on the find, its always fun to get a cool project gun for cheap. That sounds like a fun project, cant wait to see the progress. Make sure you post pics.

3. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice looking gun and a great price, ill give you $40:)

mammas dont let your cowboys grow up to be babies
    better dead than red

4. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Good find and deal.
    Looks like a good project to have fun and be proud of.

5. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

I'll try to remember to update this thread, if I do fail in that endeavor, you can check my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2014/04/latest-gun-show-find.html

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  6. DIY_guy

DIY_guy New Member

Cool. Looks like a fun project gun.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Bandit,

What a find! What is the bore like? But for $35 the parts are worth much more than that!

8. DIY_guy

DIY_guy New Member

If you dont take step by step pics of the restoration and post them here for all to see we are going to kick your arse all across town. You dont this kind of stuff under a bushel basket. You share it with the world so that others are inspired and motivated to do. It doesnt matter how you do it, only that you do and that it brings you joy. Share that with everybody.

9. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

The bore is sharp and shiny, it was hard to see at the gun show, but when I got it home I was pleasantly surprised.

10. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

Will do, I appreciate your threads as well

Stay tuned, I plan on getting started in the next few weeks

11. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Nice find! Bubba was creative with this one! I kinda like it, and a great deal at that, the box of ammo itself is almost $30!

12. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Subscribed, can't wait to see it!

RESIDENT PELLET GUN GUY

13. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

OK, so I took the gun apart today to see what it looked like:

Here is the stock showing the inl-letting
    [​IMG]

The Magazine floor plate and trigger guard, I plan on tapering the rear edge of the follower (to allow closing the bolt when the magazine is empty) and thinning the trigger guard. I plan on polishing to a high shine and bluing them using the hot salts method.

[​IMG]

Here is the safety lever, it has a detent that keeps it in position
    [​IMG]

This shows how the safety blocks the trigger movement

safety on
    [​IMG]

safety off

[​IMG]

I will need to remove these two swaged pins to remove the trigger. The trigger is a bit loose and I would like to completely dis-assemble before rust bluing the action & barrel

[​IMG]

14. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

update

I started on the stock by drawing lines on the wood to show where I wanted to remove wood

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I started removing wood

[​IMG]

At this point I was pretty close so I decided to switch to a file
    [​IMG]

now it was time to fit the new recoil pad. I got lucky the screw hole patterns were a match. I didn't bother to measure the existing ones, I figured the odds I would find one that was the same were a long shot.

[​IMG]

I borrowed DIY_guy's idea of using plastic spacers on the recoil pad. the plastic was on the thin side, so I used two of each

[​IMG]

15. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

If you have thoughts of trying to fit one of these pads without the use of power tools....forget it.

The file and sand paper barely leave a mark. I put a 60 grit belt on the belt sanded and went at it.

[​IMG]

There were a couple of places where I nicked the wood a little with the sander, nothing I cannot fix. I was planning on thinning the butt stock a little anyway

[​IMG]

A word to the wise, wear a face mask when doing this, the rubber becomes a fine dust and gets everywhere...

[​IMG]

I have some things coming up that will be dominating my time, not sure when my next update will be. I will finish the stock and then move onto the metal finishing

16. brian15

brian15 New Member

what a good find....very nice

17. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

The stock is coming along, the black line was left by the sharpie when I traced out the spacers. It acts as a nice guide to let me know when the stock and recoil pad are on the same plane
    [​IMG]

working the toe line, it is important to keep the correct angle

[​IMG]

The gouge in the stock is slowly disappearing, I wanted to thin the stock anyway, so no harm done

[​IMG]

I cut new spacers for the grip cap, so they would match the recoil pad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

The trigger guard had been thinned up and I am removing the pits/scratches. I was sanding the bottom of the stock, when sanding in around inlet items it helps if you can sand with them together to prevent rolling the edges.

[​IMG]

Here is the trigger guard/mag floor plate after the 1st round on the buffer

[​IMG]

next I tackled the mag follower

here you can see the problem. When the magazine is empty, the bolt hits it and wont roll over the top of it. I need to taper the back edge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after some grinding and polishing, the bolt now slides over the top smooth as silk

[​IMG]

19. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

next on the list was the trigger. It is wobbly, ugly and needs to be removed so I can blue the barreled action

[​IMG]

I then smoothed the sides and face of the trigger and polished it like chrome

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. drboompa

drboompa New Member

Good job. Impressive indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk