My kit came today!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by e43jimmy409, Sep 12, 2012.

1. e43jimmy409

e43jimmy409 New Member

PSA 16" Mid Lightweight
    MBUS front and rear
    Magpul MOE handguard
    Spikes Punisher Stripped lower (picking it up this weekend)

This is my first AR. Pretty excited

Attached Files:

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Nice!! Cant wait to see it all assembled. Keep us update pls.
    Correct me if im wrong.. i dont think u need the Magpul front mbus as u have the front sight post.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Nice!! Can we expect a thread of the build and a range report in the near future?

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

^^^^What he said! :)

5. e43jimmy409

e43jimmy409 New Member

I'll let ya know how it goes. I'm Sure I will have some questions along the way.

6. e43jimmy409

e43jimmy409 New Member

What tools am I gonna need to to put the lower together?

7. e43jimmy409

e43jimmy409 New Member

Am I gonna need any tools to pit the lower together?

8. e43jimmy409

e43jimmy409 New Member

Sorry for the repeat stupid phone lol

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

hammer , punchs, needle nose to hold the pin detent with , and you should have a buffer tube nut wrench but you can get by without it , it requires minimal torque, I checked this and you can hand tighten it and then give it about another 1/8" turn with a punch and hammer if you dont have the tool that sets it at approximatly 38 ft lbs torque when I checked it this way . elect tape to wrap your receiver in when you put the bolt catch pins in " always do this on your first build, I dont do it anymore but its good insurance you dont gouge your first receiver ".
    Easiest way to put not loose the pins detents and springs is to put the spring in , put the detent in your needle nose and put it just so it enters the hole a little bit , then push it down the hole the rest of the way with the pin and turn the pin until it hits the groove . I have lost more detents and springs jacking around with a razor knife trying to get them in there and this is the simplest way I have come up with , havent lost either since doing it this way

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Pastic shopping bag. Eletrical tape, razor blades.

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

small wood block to assist in not breaking the trigger guard ears off

12. e43jimmy409

e43jimmy409 New Member

I really wish I could get my stripped lower. I just sit and hold my upper, work the charging handle, remove the bcg and charging handle and then put it back together. Should I give it a cleaning and lube? What are your recommendations?

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Yes clean it and lube it.

14. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

CLEANED-OFF table, with a WHITE table cloth on it. those pins, detents, and springs show up really well on white surfaces. CAREFULLY watch out for the spings and the detents, they tend to "FLY" out into the neverland of an open room.....never to be heard from again. :eek:

find you a youtube vid...........aw hell, here ya go:

part un:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w[/ame]

part deux:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4KfUaVp8M&feature=relmfu[/ame]

15. okdonk

okdonk New Member

There are lots of AR tools. They are affordable and most importantly you will need them. I'm sure you will build more or have more ARs :).

16. e43jimmy409

e43jimmy409 New Member

I already cleaned my work bench of and laid out a big white towel

17. e43jimmy409

e43jimmy409 New Member

Made a trip to my LGS today and picked up a pmag and a small rail section to mount my front MBUS. I picked up two boxes of ammo. It's Silver Bear 62gr zinc coated. Guy told me that tula and wolf are laquer coat and it is hard on the rifle because it causes a build up of laquer and can cause over pressure. Is that true?

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

19. e43jimmy409

e43jimmy409 New Member

So is tula and wolf good to go? This stuff was pretty cheap for not buying bulk, 7.49 for twenty.

20. okdonk

okdonk New Member

You can get PMC for less than $7 per 20 rounds. Sometimes free shipping from PSA.