My Kel-Tec SU-16C

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Tsolo, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Tsolo

Tsolo New Member

I just joined and thought I would post some pics of my SU-16C:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Comeswithbacon

Comeswithbacon New Member

I realy like this type of rifle Kel Tec makes, but it just doesn't look like it would be comfortable, is it?

3. Garadex

Garadex New Member

You sir have made me jealous. :eek:

4. Tsolo

Tsolo New Member

I just recently modified it and will shoot it soon for the first time with the new forend and foregrip. I assume you are talking about the kinda awkward stock. It is not the most comfortable, but it didn't bother me too much when I shot it. This is a sport utility rifle, and the bonuses of the stock are the folding capability (easily fits in a larger backpack, and also shoots in the folded position), and the fact that when in stock condition, the rifle weighs 4.7 pounds. It feels a tad front heavy after I modified it, but it still feels comfortable in my hands. You can also put a pistol grip/ar stock on it, which is something I might do to balance it out a little. People say that it is stupid to modify these so much, and that you should just build an AR if you want to do all these modifications. I do see their point, and I wasn't planning on doing all this when I bought the rifle, but I just can't help myself:)

It is a great, accurate little rifle.

Well...thanks:D

5. Comeswithbacon

Comeswithbacon New Member

6. Tsolo

Tsolo New Member

Only other rifle is a Savage .22.

I have some handguns.

7. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I am handgun guy, but I've been tempted by this rifle before. Thanks for renewing my need for one!

8. Tsolo

Tsolo New Member

Better start looking for one, because apparently the Charlie model is getting harder and harder to find!:)

9. rachilders

rachilders New Member

FYI, I have a PLR-16 and decided to put the "Charlie" stock on it. However, since my PLR has a 9" barrel, adding the stock would make it a SBR. I decided to go for it and sent in Form 1 and my check for the stamp to the BATF earlier this week. Essentially, when I add the folding stock I'll have your rifle with with a shorter barrel. Interestingly, K-T now makes the gun I'm building (SU-16D) but I could never get any info from them on how to buy one. My guess is it's restricted to LEO's, the military and that sort.

FWIW, it turns out it's actually cheaper to pay the tax ($200), buy the stock ($80) and fore end ($45), then install the stock & fore end on my PLR ($475) than to buy the SU-16D (MSRP about $900). Also, I'd STILL need to pay the Class III tax on the SU-16D if I could get one, so that would add an additional $200 to the cost of the SU-16. $1,100+ vs. $800+ and I'd have to wait on ATF approval in either case... no brainer!

My avatar here to the left is how my PLR-16 currently looks but this is how my PLR will look when I install the stock...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  10. orangello

orangello New Member

It's neat, but i still can't visualize somebody holding that stock comfortably. :confused:

11. gunplay52

gunplay52 New Member

I like the idea...Been looking at a friend's PLR-16 he wants to trade me..I just didn't want a pistola..until now!:D
    Bill

12. rachilders

rachilders New Member

What I'll really like about having my pistol turned into a SBR is I can still use the guns original pistol grip if I feel the urge but have the option of using a vgrip, the original pistol grip, a folding stock or any combo of the above as I want without worrying about getting into legal hot water with the feds. :D

Like I said earlier, I'll have your SU-16C but with about 7" less barrel.

13. Tsolo

Tsolo New Member

rachilders - Nice PLR. It will look sweet when you put the stock on it. Those things are real flame throwers!

14. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I thought that if a firearms was shipped from the factory as a handgun it had to stay a handgun??? Can you just get the stamp and put a stop on a handgun and make it a SBR and not get in any hot water with the law? I have no clue about that sort of thing.

15. rachilders

rachilders New Member

A lot of people get pistol versions of the AR, AK, SIG and other "black" rifles and put shoulder stocks on them. Much easier than having a full length rifle that has to be cut down, the barrel & gas system's modified and re-tuned, etc. Many people prefer to modify the assault style pistols because there are already rifle versions available with stocks and other parts/accessories that will need little or no modification. Just fill out the Form 1 - it can be downloaded from the BATF web site - send in the $200 fee for the stamp, wait for the paperwork to be returned (as little as 6 weeks or as long as 12 weeks or more) then build your gun. :D

Essentially, you buy your pistol, get the stamp and add the stock in that order. DO NOT modify a gun BEFORE you complete the paperwork and receive approval from the ATF if you will be making a Class III or AOW classified firearm! If you're caught, you WILL regret it. :eek:

16. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Ok...you learn something new everyday. I thought that it was illegal! That's why I ask the questions and you all answer.

17. Chieftain

Chieftain New Member

My SU-16 was set up similar to the OP's, with a reddot. My daughter felt my other Black rifles were to heavy for her. She only stands 4'10" at 23y/o.

She shoots the hell out of it. It has proven to be very reliable.

The SRB using a pistol version seems to be the way to go. I will not own a AR type weapon though. Waiting for a "pistol" version of my SCAR Mk16s in 5.56 NATO.

Maybe if Ruger makes a pistol version?

Good luck.

Fred

18. Tsolo

Tsolo New Member

19. rachilders

rachilders New Member

Very interesting. I'd probably look into one but I already have the one from K-T. Also, the one from K-T costs about 1/3 what the Midwest hand guard lists for. Still, it is nice and if you want a PLR that's different, it would look good! As for whether it would fit an SU, I don't see why not, though it might be a bit short.