My gun control program.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by txpossum, Jun 27, 2016.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I propose the following as my gun control platform:

No guns that were not designed by John Browning.

I waive my private parts in the direction of your Glock. Give ma a 1911 or a HI-Power.

You got an AR -15? Whooooooo. I'll take the Browning Automatic Rifle (and a Sherpa to carry it).

My god, your Saiga 12 is ugly. I'll take a combat modified AR 5.

There is no problem involving a firearms situation that John Browning didn't solve.

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Substitute Gaston Glock and Eugene Stoner and ya got a good post, Bubba!:p

3. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Yeah. DId either of them invent the Ma Deuce?

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

For some people, gun control is using both hands.

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually, effective gun control is being able to hit your target
    RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES with every shot!:D

6. txpossum

txpossum New Member

That's not good gun control if you're aiming at their heart.

7. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Bullseye shooters do it one-handed.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

And those who are Erect Dysfunctional (can't stand up straight) do it seated.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Which DA/SA double stack did he put out?
    Ultra compact pistol in a serious martial caliber?
    Light weight intermediate rifle cartridge for faster mobile combat?
    Magnetic field rail gun?
    Use of lighter alloys, aluminum, titanium, scandnium, and even polymers.

Browning was genius, and if he had lived today I would be excited to see his solutions to those problems and his utilization of modern manufacturing techniques and materials. I'm sure his contributions would be great. I don't diminish his legacy or his accomplishments, but progress did continue.

But, stick with what you like.

I like my 1911s, but I also like many other pistols that came after. (Sig, Beretta, CZ, and yes, Glock to name a few.)
    I'll take a Benelli over an A5.
    As far as general issue infantry rifles. The BAR is not really in that class. And as a support weapon, it can't keep up with a belt fed gun with rapid change barrels for portability and sustained firepower like a M240 or M249. Heck, the German MG42 was probably outclassing it in the 1940s, in reality.

10. txpossum

txpossum New Member

It's tempting, but I'm not going there.

11. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I don''t own a DA/SA, or any handgun with a double stack magazine. I would like to own a HI-Power again. I've owned 3 in the past, and keep selling/trading them because . . . I don't like 9mm.

My carry weapon is a full size 1911.

I don't like polymer guns. Don't own any. Am suspicious of this new-fangled stainless steel stuff, and have heard, but do not believe, that they make handguns out of lightweight alloys.

I'm not talking about military weapons. I'm talking about my gun control program for private citizens. I'll sit on my deck with a belt-fed Browning MG and pick 'em off from there. While eating donuts.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No love for wheel guns, huh?

13. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Dang. You had to bring that up. I LOVE vintage Smiths. This poses a problems. Also . . .my Ruger MK I is my favorite plinker (yes, I know this is not a wheel gun, but just thought of this as not fitting into my rules).

I'll have to form a committee to investigate this.

14. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Well, it is a single stack!

15. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Yep. Never been a "spray and pray" guy.

My pappy used to give me five .22 shells, and if I didn't come back with 5 rabbits for the pot I'd get my butt whipped . . .

Okay, so that didn't really happen.

But my father WAS a target shooter (Bullseye -- that's where I started was with him) and in his opinion it was all about accuracy.

16. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Would this mean I'm permitted to have a M2 mounted in the bed of my truck and a M1919 sitting over the fireplace? I'd love to mount an AN-M2 in the airplane I'm building. Anyone who thinks shooting down Texas mosquitos with a .30-06 is overkill has obviously never been bitten by one. Nuff said.

17. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Assuming you have a full size one-ton pickup, my gun control program would allow you to mount a quad-50 in the back of your truck.

18. SSGN_Doc

If you could stomach the 9mm, you should try out a CZ75, a DA/SA evolution of the Browning design. They do make a .45 as well in their model 97.

For the .45 side I'd recommend a Sig P220 for a single stack, or a P227 for a double stack. My P220 is as natural a shooter as my 1911s.

19. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I will agree that the CZ75 is a classic design that works very well. Just not to my taste, but would rather have one of those that a lot to other designs.

20. SSGN_Doc

Sooo, sexy though.

[​IMG]