My girlfriend is gonna be pissed off...

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Franciscomv, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Right after having a nice long talk with my girlfriend about the need to spend less money (apparently we need to cut down on my cigars and knives, so we can afford more perfumes and dresses) I headed down to the shooting range to punch some paper with my very budget friendly S&W 617.

I was just looking at the used guns at the club's shop when I spotted a fantastic Colt Detective Special, and it was love at first sight. I have no need for it, but I just had to get it. The good thing about this club is that you can use any weapon you've bought while you wait for the paperwork (two weeks), you can't take it home but at least you get to try it out.

The trigger is a bit harder on the last part of the pull than my Smiths. It clearly hasn't been shot much, it was issued to a Buenos Aires PD doctor who took good care of it.

It's a first issue model, I don't know how old it is, but the last of those were made in 1946. I has zero holster wear, the grips are a bit worn. Any tips on where to get new ones?

I don't have any pics, but it looks like this one:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

Cook her a nice dinner and she will eventually get over it.:D

Nice addition BTW:D

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

LOL - It's small enough to hide - CONFESS TO NOTHING!!

Nice addition to the collection Francisco!

JD

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Even though you are not in the US of A stick to what we call the 5th ammendment (your right to not incriminate yourself). That'll make a nice hide out (from the girlfriend) gun

5. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I can keep the purchase a secret for a while, plus the gun has to stay at the club for a couple of weeks while they finish the paperwork. I need more snubbies! I think I'm going to start a small collection of short barrel wheelguns.

6. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

What caliber is that?

It looks like my S&W .38 (family erlume...to me anyway).

Shot mine the other day. It just feels right in my hand, even though I try to avoid Saturday night specials.

Well, I guess it's not a Saturday night special, it's just too much of a snubby for my taste.

Still, I like shooting it on the range, and thinking of my Dad and Uncle whom it came from.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

8. ladyM

ladyM New Member

Excess on occasion is exhilirating. It prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit. ~W. Somerset Maugham, The Summing Up, 1938
    ......................................................................................................

The vow that binds too strictly snaps itself. ~Alfred Lord Tennyson, "The Last Tournament," Idylls of the King
    ......................................................................................................

--------Take notice from the above quotes,.......I've got to get back to business now......good luck , Francisco !!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  9. McNabb11b

McNabb11b New Member

You are not really supporting excess very well with that picture. :eek: :D

10. ladyM

ladyM New Member

It appears that SHE is very exhilirated by her excess ! -----Whats-a-matter,
    McNabb----Not yur type ? (I don't blame you ! )

11. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

That redefines "butt-ugly" to a new level.

That revolver photo is of a COLT, not a S&W 617.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  12. ladyM

ladyM New Member

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  13. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I know, mate. It's a Colt Detective Special, I found it when I was shooting my S&W 617 at my club.

LadyM and CA357, thanks for the links. The grips on mine are fine, but I'd like to find some nicer ones.

Jesse17, it's a .38 special and I wouldn't call it a "Saturday night special", it's a quality handgun. I know old revolvers don't appeal to everybody, I don't like Glocks but I admit they are good guns.

14. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

ladyM you are no longer admitted to add pictures of women(that look like that) unless it is a picture of yourself:D:cool::D

15. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I wasn't referring to your gun as a "Saturday night special" I was referring to mine, but then I corrected myself, because it too is a quality gun.

My dad just got me in the habit of calling any 'pocket size' gun a Saturday night special. Now that I'm older and realize that the term refers to cheap piece-of-Polosi guns, it's still hard for me to break the habit.

Anyway, you're new gun looks great! I hope you cherish it for life.

16. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Old habits die hard!

I've got a sort of snubnose fetish, I just enjoy them a lot.

17. Bighead

Bighead New Member

I love the old Colt revolvers, and would have been tempted just as your were.

I eventually want a Detective, a 3rd issue Police Positive, and a New Service. While I wouldn't feel safe carrying it, I would also like to have a New Service chopped into a "Fitz Special" like the one that Colt employee J.H. Fitzgerald made for the legendary Col. Rex Applegate. For those of you who are not familiar, the Fitz Special is cut down to a 2-inch barrel, shortened grip, bobbed hammer, and cut-away trigger guard.

18. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

If she's still just your girlfriend and you haver to keep your gun purchases a secret, get rid of her now. If you're not that compatible now, now is the time to break it off. NEVER keep secrets from the woman of your life!

Bob Wright

19. bobbyb13

bobbyb13 New Member

Myyy Gawd, you tring to blind me

Sweet Mary, I like to stroked out again, don't post pics like that:eek:

20. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I don't need to keep them a secret, just work on my timing. Getting a new gun half an hour after a long talk about financial priorities might not have been a very bright idea.

I can't complain about my girlfriend, she even encourages my hobbies. And for some reason she can't seem to figure out that she could do much better than me. :D