My Frankford Arsenal digital scales

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by tac foley, Sep 29, 2020.

1. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

have just gone tits up.

At least, so it seems.

I turn it on, and it glows with a reassuring blue screen, showing, after a couple of seconds to calm down, 0.000 gn.

Trouble is, that's all it EVER shows, no matter what load I put there.

Anybody else who has had this bother care to advise me on the next step, preferably one that does not involve a short flight into the shop trash can? These things are pretty pricey here in not-so-Merrie Olde Englande.

TIA.

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Contact the manufacturer and ask for their advice.

Rifling82 likes this.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Sorry Tac, But the majority of all the firearm branded Digital scales are products of China. The quality is pretty much what you get from most things made in China.

I'd return it for a refund, and search for a pharmaceutical / medical grade digital scale. They are worth every penny that they cost.

Rifling82 likes this.
  4. locutus

Or even better, a quality beam balance.

Mercator, Rifling82 and alsaqr like this.
  5. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

This. After going through four digital scales, including an expensive one, i returned to balance beam scales.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I am using an RCBS 505 that is probably older than some of the people on this forum. Gave my Ohaus 1010 to my son in law.

7. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Some lights or other electrical devices emit radio frequencies that can screw them up. Try a different location.

Can you try it with batteries to eliminate RMFs?

Recalibration?

Is there air moving close to it?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  8. Notrighty

Notrighty Well-Known Member

Yea electronic scales are great till they stop working. Or worse yet they start reading incorrectly and you put 4 or 5 extra grains of powder in your load. Back to the slow and tedious balance beam scale. I’m in the Hvac business and the same thing happens to the refrigerant scales. They are Chinese and your lucky if they last a year.

9. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Active Member

I'm using a RCBS 2000 right now. I realize the cranky nature of digital scales. Therefore, not one but two beam scales are in reserve when the RCBS scale croaks. I am developing a bad attitude about Midway electronic stuff anyway.

10. locutus

I use a Pact for initiual setting of the measure because it's quick. When the measure is within .2 grains, I put the Pact away and fine tune on an Ohaus beam balance.

I would advise to always verify your electronic with a beam.

11. tac foley

From Mr primer1, Some lights or other electrical devices emit radio frequencies that can screw them up. Try a different location.

No lights, on a bench in a day-lit shed.

Can you try it with batteries to eliminate RMFs?

Not sure what you mean - it operates on two AAA batteries.

Recalibration?

To recalibrate it, always assuming that you CAN, it needs to be operating. It isn't operating.

Is there air moving close to it?

Nope, not now, it's in the trash bin. :)

Rifling82, primer1 and locutus like this.
  12. locutus

Well done, Tac!:)

13. tac foley

A replacement has been ordered from one of the numerous suppliers here - I'm off to collect in the morning, if the Creek don't rise....

Last week I collected my 175gr SMKs from the same place $67.84/C...........Holeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Shirt!!!!

I remember when they were $18.50 and I grumbled then......

14. tac foley

Thank you, Sir.

If only you knew how much the occasional 'pat on the fur' means to me.

15. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

I use a 40 year old beam scale from hornady t hat came with my 007 press kit back in 1980. USA made.
    Now with my Dillon 550B, I just check the first 3 loads and load em. every now and then I'll do a check and it is right on within + or - 1/10 of a grain. Scottsdale, AZ made
    On thousand yard match loads, I bothered to weigh each one.
    At my level of shooting (87.5 percent on my last highpower gig) I will NEED to HOLD better as the 2 tenths of a grain variation are NOT going to affect my score!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    locutus and primer1 like this.
  16. tac foley

My Ohaus-made RCBS 10-10 scale, bought at Wiesbaden R&GC in 1978, is currently on TDY in Cumbria, and right now totally inaccessible for the near future...

I'm off to one of our four LGS tomorrow to see what I can find, but for sure I won't be buying any kind of Chinese-made beam scales.

17. Notrighty

I use electronic equipment all the time but I don’t trust it because it is usually not the quality it should be. I routeenly use tempeture gauges that need constant calibration. If you have a set of standard weights to confirm your scale than it can be trusted. If I think I’m gettin close to the edge on a load I would never count on an electronic scale. I had one bad experience I won’t repeat.

18. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The inexpensive digital scales are designed to work as gram scales, to the 0.01-gram. Which is 0.154-grains. So even though they display to the 0.1-grains, the aren’t actually that precise.

19. Notrighty

Sometimes that doesn’t matter but sometimes it can be a real problem. My electronic scale said I have a certain amt. of charge in a case and when I get to the range I got shoulder slapped on round 4. I thought maybe I’m just gunshy with a lite 45/70 rifle . I thought no take it home and check it out. Pulled the bullets apart and found it was a grain added with every round. The scale went haywire at the worst possible time. So I weighed the the same load 3 times and it progressively lighter. I trashed that 205$ scale and won’t buy another.

20. Notrighty

If I’m having problems with any electronic equipment some people say you are a Luddite. I may not embrace tech like every other person but I am sceptic of the cheap Chinese tech available at your Harbor Freight .