Firearms Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
13,934 Posts
try tightening up your crimp a little maybe 1/4 turn or 1/8 turn and try it again. I found that even a little off on the crimp and it can screw up the chambering.

· Banned
13,934 Posts
If you over crimp you can cause it to not headspace correctly. Most of your rimed handgun cartridges like the 9mm and 45acp headspace off the casemouth so the proper amount of headspace is critical.

· Banned
13,934 Posts
I will do that test with the field stripped bullet for sure but assuming the bullet goes in the barrel just the same as the factory load does is where my question lies...

perhaps either im not understanding what you guys are saying, or you aren't understanding what I am asking because I am asking it wrong but what Im wondering is; is it possible to have not enough flare at the head of the cartridge?

I know now from experience that it is possible to have too much flare so i tightened it quite a bit, but is it possible to have it too tight? or is the rule of thumb that as long as it is big enough for the bullet to seat properly, its ok?
yes you can have two little bell on the case mouth. When this happens you will see a little roll of copper at the case mouth. If you are shooting platted bullets like Berry's of Rainer they will wrinkle like an old person. The case mouth should have just enough bell so that the bullet sets in the case mouth but not so much as that you can very easily see it with your nekkied eye.

Reloading pistol ammo can be frustrating to say the least with belling crimping powder that doesn't fill the case ect...... Take it slow and don't be afraid to screw up just make sure you catch your screw up before you blow your hand off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.