my first successful reload, tell me what you think

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by roosterjuicer, Mar 19, 2009.

1. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

as you know ive had a bit of an ongoing saga with reloading the last couple days but ive finally got some finished product, tell me what you think. the gold looking bullet is a factory bullet, the copper ones are my reloads.

tell me what you think

am i in good shape? or should i seat them just a little bit higher?

Attached Files:

2. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

There beautiful, good job. Let us know how they chamber and fire.
    Seat them at or slightly below what the reload manual tell you. If you get them too high for an auto-loading firearm, they won't fit in the magazine. You need a length gauge or a caliper veneer for measuring OAL (over all length).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009

3. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

thanks joe:D. considering the factory rounds chamber just fine, shouldn't these also considering they are pretty close to the same?

what kinds of things affect chambering?

4. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

If the brass is not re-sized properly this will affect chambering. It is important to get the bullet seating die adjusted to the proper height off the shell holder. Too low and you can squash the cartridge and make the case bulge, believe me I have done it. Every dimension of the cartridge should be measured with a veneer or micrometer when starting and occasionally throughout the reloading process. Joe

Alway feel free to E-Mail me. khunterjoe@aol.com If I can I will gladly help.

5. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Good looking loads!

Good job, juice. Once you got all the kinks worked out, your loads look good. I will agree with hunter joe on you needing a caliper to measure your cart, overall length. The overall length is a VERY important spec. in hand loading. I seat all bullets to the spec. listed in the load books, for that particular bullet. All load books that I have read for the 9mm, tell you to NOT seat deeper than specs. for that bullet. Bullets seated too deep will increase the pressure of the load. Some times to an unsafe level. Your loads in pict. look good .I usually keep around various factory loads to set the seater punch on my hand loads. Use your Gold bullet factory load for adjustments for your hand loads. The rule of thumb is=Too long+will not fit magazine--Too short+will have too HI of pressure. Seat bullets in a semi-auto deep enough to not hang in your magazine, and you'll be OK. Keep up the GOOD work:D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  6. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

thanks Billy Bob any encouragement is good.

I have cranked out about 40. and despite a few kinks and problems I have really enjoyed it. its definitely a fun hobby, i can see how some people get obsessed with it haha.

7. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

An ideal tool

Juice, I don't remember if I mentioned or not, but a great little accessory to hand loading is a loaded cart. case gauge. All it is, is a sleeve of metal, that has the exact inside case dimensions of the cal. that you are loading. Put the loaded round in the tool, and the round should go in below flush. If it does, it will fit any gun in that cal. The stainless ones from Dillon are $12.95 each. If you contact Dillon at Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders They will send you a Great little catalogue, that has all of their toys listed=neat little book!:D If/when you get the tool, in 9mm, place a loaded factory round in it, and you will see how all of your handloads should fit in also.;)

8. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

that sounds awsome billybob. do you know what the name of the tool is?

say the bullets fit and feed right and everything, what kind of stuff will effect the accuracy?

9. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

range report: i shot 40 today down at the range and I the gun jammed a few times on me. mostly failure to feed. i looked at the casings and it looks like maybe they arent crimped quite enough and thus there was too big of a lip around where the bullet meets the casing. I adjusted my reloader and ill give you guys an update either this weekend or wednesday.

is there anything else that could be causing feeding issues? I have the minimum powder ammount in, should i maybe give just a little bit more powder or should I wait and see what my crimping adjustments do for me?

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

try tightening up your crimp a little maybe 1/4 turn or 1/8 turn and try it again. I found that even a little off on the crimp and it can screw up the chambering.

11. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

is there anything I have to worry about if the crimp is a little bit too tight but the bullet seats fine? because I tightened it quite a bit.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

If you over crimp you can cause it to not headspace correctly. Most of your rimed handgun cartridges like the 9mm and 45acp headspace off the casemouth so the proper amount of headspace is critical.

13. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Head space.

+1 For Tango on case head space. "Rimless" case design is very dependent on amount of crimp for proper head space. As stated before, an overall cartridge case gauge comes in handy for checking this critical spec. Another way (that's more work) to do this is to field strip your weapon, drop in a factory load, and check the clearance to the end of the barrel. With a clean barrel, the cart. will go in, fall out easy. Adjust your taper crimp on your hand loads so that the reloaded cart. will drop in and out just as easy. Use your dial caliper to measure overall length of your loaded cart. also, and adjust per spec. for that exact bullet, out of a quality load book, like Speer,Sierra, Hornady,Lyman, etc. I really like Lyman's 48th Edition Reloading Handbook, as it is full of info. on all loads-jacketed+cast. Check for this book at your local library=You'll probably want to buy one HA:D

14. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

I will do that test with the field stripped bullet for sure but assuming the bullet goes in the barrel just the same as the factory load does is where my question lies...

perhaps either im not understanding what you guys are saying, or you aren't understanding what I am asking because I am asking it wrong but what Im wondering is; is it possible to have not enough flare at the head of the cartridge?

I know now from experience that it is possible to have too much flare so i tightened it quite a bit, but is it possible to have it too tight? or is the rule of thumb that as long as it is big enough for the bullet to seat properly, its ok?

15. SlamFire

SlamFire New Member

Ogive on your bullets and the factory are different. That makes the seating depth look different when they're actually about the same.

45 ACP wouldn't be my first pick for a load -- or 9mm, or any semi-auto "rimless." They headspace on the case mouth and so you need cases trimmed to the right length and crimped to the specified dia.

Can't do it without a caliper.

Easly loader is 38 Spl / 357 mag. That's all "eyeball" stuff and not at all critical.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

yes you can have two little bell on the case mouth. When this happens you will see a little roll of copper at the case mouth. If you are shooting platted bullets like Berry's of Rainer they will wrinkle like an old person. The case mouth should have just enough bell so that the bullet sets in the case mouth but not so much as that you can very easily see it with your nekkied eye.

Reloading pistol ammo can be frustrating to say the least with belling crimping powder that doesn't fill the case ect...... Take it slow and don't be afraid to screw up just make sure you catch your screw up before you blow your hand off.

17. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Yes you can have too tight of crimp

As noted by Tango, you need just enough "Bell" to your primed cases, to start the bullet tip to case, without shaving the bullet when seating. Also,YES you can have too much taper crimp, after seating bullet to case. This will cause the load to go too far into chamber=NOT enough headspace. Back off your crimp die-insert loaded uncrimped round-adjust down crimp die to touch firmly on said round at the top of the press stroke-adjust in crimp die 1/4 turn at a time, until load will drop in+fall out of the chamber of your barrel easy. After you reach this point, tighten down the lock ring and you are good to go. If you stay in reloading game, Juice, you will want to buy those additional tools as mentioned before:D:p