my first SKS

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by bikerlbf406, Feb 17, 2015.

1. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

About 4 months ago I put a Norinco SKS on lay a way at a pawn shop. Just a week ago I got to pick it up after paying it off. It is a Norinco Type 56, factory code 26 made in 1979. Someone replaced with with a foldable stock and added a Tapco 20 round magazine. Here are the pictures of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Congrats, it should be a fun plinker. Is the mag removable or permanent?

3. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Shoot the heck out of it. Just don't rely on the receiver cover rail for precision accuracy if mounting a scope

4. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

It is a 20 round tapco removable mag.

5. Werminator

Werminator Member

450 sounds a tad high to me but I know here in St. Louis prices have been higher than normal. I grabbed a M70 AK for 500 recently and when compared to my Norinco SKS I have more fun with it and think its more capable in the defensive role too. That said, I shoot the Norinco a little better, accuracy-wise...

6. reloader762

reloader762 New Member

First SKS? Be careful, it won't be the last :)

7. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

8. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

Fun rifle. I bought two Norincos years ago when I was working in retail firearms. With store discount, they were $125.00 each.

One caution: The firing pin is free floating & has no spring or safety. That's why military ammo has harder primers. You can test this at the range (not in the house). Chamber a round, then extract it. You'll find a slight firing pin dent on the primer. If you chamber a non-military round with the standard softer primer, the round can discharge due to inertia.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

With the four "evil" features; protruding pistol grip, folding stock, detachable magazine and bayonet lug, you have an imported rifle covered under section 922r. You may not have any more than 10 imported parts on that gun. 11 parts is a Federal offense. If you have not changed out any internal parts, you should have 12 in the gun

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Very good point! My Norinco had .067 firing pin protrusion, and would go full auto with PMC commercial. I wrote to the NRA "Dope Bag" and asked them what to do.

I carefully filed the pin down to .035 protrusion and it works well with everything now. all you need is a depth micrometer and a fine cut mill bastard file.

If you don't have a depth micrometer, every machinist and auto hobbyist worthy of the name has one so they're not hard to borrow.

11. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

12. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

This is what makes Title 18 so confusing. Mine is apparently compliant, with the only real difference being whether the Dragunov stock is considered a pistol grip or not. I can't get a straight answer if it constitutes a thumbhole stock by NY's standards, either. And I don't know whether to trust this or not! :) http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/LegalFederal

13. echo1

echo1 Member

That folder will cause you grief in the log run also. It'll get looser & looser (PM ME IF YOU GO LOOKING FOR WOOD OR AFTER MARKET STOCKS). The receiver cover mounts, in general won't hold zero unless you do the thread mod. If you don't have the original cover and mag, or it's mismatched, then it won't matter if you tinker with it. KNOW YOUR MECANICAL SKILL LEVEL BEFORE YOU GO FILING ON ANY FIRE ARM, AND HAVE A SPARE PART. Enjoy it. PAX

14. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Can't help you with the fed stuff, but on the NY end of things, that Dragonov Stock does count the same as a PG or Th stock under the Unsafe Act. Now, if it still has the original fixed 10 rounder, as it only flaps, doesn't remove without tools, then it is not an "AW". Removable mag like a Taoco, it is an "AW" under their laws.

Had a friend on the NYSP when I lived back there, that gave me a copy of the field guide for reference, and took the same style stock of his 10/22 as I did to comply. He took retirement and moved, I just moved, so both are as they were before that cr@p went into effect. All it means is, if you are going to NY, as you live in VA, swap it out to the factory installed 10 if you are going to take it with, and store it and the ammo under the guidlines of FOPA '86, both locked in their own container, if you are only driving through NY to go to another pklace where it's legal.

that and do not interrupt your trip for any reason, excluding gas, rest stops, or meals, as then you will have some serious issues if caught with said weapons. If you get tired, make someone else drive at that point, as staying overnight in a motel counts. i regularly travel to NH and VT on business, and about 7 hours of that trip is through NY. I double and triple check my lights, tags, ect before leaving, and follow the travel setup in FOPA '86 to the letter, or I leave my pistols and other banned $#!t at home if it's not going to be a trip of less than 4 hours both ways. Each "AW", Pistol, and Magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds is it's own felony count there, so if I forget that the M9 is in the console of the car, and the spare mag is in the door pocket (All legal here in PA with my LTCF), and get stopped in NY, then my car get's searched, that's 3 felonies that average out to 5 to 7 years each right there, on top of what I got pulled over for. With no defense.

The other way around, all locked in their own boxes, in the trunk, still 3 felonies, but with an affirmative defense in court, under federal law, as long as I am coming from a place that I am legal to possess such items, and travelling to another where I am also legal.

15. postguns

postguns New Member

you sleep with your SKS? so how's the performance have you tried it?

16. rem1875

rem1875 New Member

I can personally vouch for Ben Murray's work. I was shocked the first time I let the bolt go forward on our Norinco SKS and a round went off (fortunately safely) down range, I loaded some empty brass with primers and had no problem trying to duplicate the problem over and over.
    I figured out the problem quickly and tried to fix it myself by adding a spring, however my bubba job in no way compared to Ben Murray work, I recommend it and give it 2 thunbs up and 5 stars*****:)

17. rem1875

rem1875 New Member

Any of y'all having trouble with ny, calif, illonois and mass insane laws- pm me and i will send you my ffl's dealers address and permanently store your favorite firearms at my place and with prior notice ya can stop by and I'll let ya shoot em.
    I might not even charge ya a small storage fee. :D ;)

18. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

No I didn't ever sleep with it and sorry but ended up selling the firearm before ever getting a chance to shoot it. Which I regret selling it now.