My first shotgun.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by jake1, Mar 17, 2013.

1. jake1

jake1 New Member

It is sad. I am 34 and just got my first shotgun. Please don't be too harsh! Mossberg 88 with the 18 1/2" barrel. I am not familiar with shotguns very much I have only shot one once before years ago. I have primarily been a handgun guy but decided it was time to branch out. I plan to study it a bit before I go out and shoot it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ForumRunner_20130317_142416.jpg

2. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Good choice. Most accessories designated for the Moss. 500 will also fit yours.

3. WitheringRose

WitheringRose New Member

This is correct. Also just a tip, remember you are dealing with a maximum of 6 or 8 shots. Depending on what you use it for, accessorize accordingly. My brother up in Rhode Island has a 500 for home defense and wouldn't dream of not having the ammo sleeve and the waist pack full of shells :p

Shotguns are real fun to shoot. Have fun

4. jake1

jake1 New Member

So I have read. I have read the forearm is not without some mods.

5. jake1

jake1 New Member

I do plan on getting a side saddle as well as butt stock strap and a light for HD. Any advice on lights?

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Spend your money on ammo, KISS the gun.

Keep It Simple Stupid. :D

7. jake1

jake1 New Member

I wrote strap and meant butt stock sleeve. So a light is not recommended?

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

A light and a side saddle or an elastic sleeve on the stock, nothing else required. Just my $0.02.

9. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

A good light and mount for sure. I would go with the side saddle. The elastic tends to wear on those stock sleeves and after losing a few shells I tossed mine in the $h!tcan.