My first semi auto

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by martyd, Jan 30, 2012.

1. martyd

martyd New Member

I want to get a semi auto just for the range. I have 38 & 357 in rev guns but no semi auto and that because I don't carry. I want to go to the range and shot off 10 to. 15 rounds then just put in a a full clip n do it again. It's two years now I been looking and I saved up the money n end up with a 6 shot rev. Not this time , the gun store has 600 cash money of mine and told him to hold it untill I fine a semi I want. I like the kimber 45 but it's money. I can save up and get it but do i realy need that kimber.Was told to get a glock. I want power n kick 45 cal. Is nice. I need fiber opt, with 56 years old eyes I can't see close. Having crimson laser is nice but fiber opt is ok. I need a full frame gun. I just held a ruger sp 101 357 mag and the handle is to small for me. Any help would be great. Price can be from 600 to 1200 thank you guys Marty d.

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

You can add a fiber optic sight to just about any gun these days. You can also order a STI 1911 from Dawson's and add the their fiber optic package for the gun you choose. The STI Spartan would be a good first semi auto pistol.

3. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48 New Member

The world is your oyster in .45 ACP pistol offerings these days. There are a ton of great 1911 manufacturers out there, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend. If you can find one, the Ruger SR1911 is an incredible gun for around $600-ish, but finding them is the hard part. If you want to get away from the 1911, I am a huge fan of both the Glock 21 and the M&P45. The standard size Glock 21 is a bit of a wide-body but it's also one of my favorite guns to shoot. 13+1 in the G21 and 10+1 in the M&P45 which has actually become my new favorite pistol to carry/compete/shoot. Mine is an older version I traded for but is just a really good gun. Mine even has the thumb safety like the 1911 to boot. Lots out there for you; if you have the opportunity you need to find a few ranges that rent guns or hit up all your buddies and shoot what they have to narrow the choices down even further. Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

4. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

The new Remington R1 Enhanced has Fiber Optic sights and comes NIB for about $720 here. This one is in my LGS:

[​IMG]

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The 1911 is like a "starter" motorcycle from Triumph. You buy one and just may keep it as the main one.

6. darkknight-nyc

darkknight-nyc New Member

Find a range than rents handguns. You can test out which semi-auto and caliber you like. Tried the Glock 17 & 19, but eventually bought the Beretta 90-Two 9mm.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Do this ^^^.

I looooove my Springfield XD45 with the 5" barrel. It has the polymer frame like a glock, but has the grip safety similar to a 1911; it cost me about $550 a couple of years ago. I understand they are less now that the XDm's are out. If you need another safety on it, i understand there is a model in 45acp with a manual safety. It holds 13+1. Mine has yet to fail in any way.

Realize that 9mm is much cheaper to plink with.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

martyd You can change grips on revolvers to get what you want for a feel. Very easy to do. But for a pistol ,go to some gun shops and handle a some different models . Then most indoor ranges rent pistols to see how one feels to you. Maybe a shooting forum that as for your general area like our carolina forums is and find someone close to you that will let you try there pistol or pistols. Most of us will gladdly help someone with a firearm to shoot.

9. Hurryin' Hoosier

Hurryin' Hoosier New Member

Don't be a "fellow-traveler", Marty. Check out a Beretta 92 series in 9MM Parabellum or a 96 in .40 calibre. They are super high-quality, sexy as Gina Lollobrigida, and each come with a dozen cannolis and an autographed picture of Benito Mussolini. Man up and say "no" to those look-alike, slab-sided .45s! ;)

10. Hurryin' Hoosier

Hurryin' Hoosier New Member

There you go, Marty. Another lover of fine guns! :D

11. indyfan

indyfan New Member

That's beautiful.

12. Spad2137

Spad2137 New Member

my opinion, 600-1200 is a huge price range. that pretty much makes any "performance" .45 attainable. definitely check out Springfield. they have everything from loaded 1911s to the extremely popular xd series. id check out the mil-spec. good baseline. tons of parts. but the 1911s are going to require some up keep definitely more of a tinker's gun. but if your just looking for a high capacity accurate range gun then the .45 xdm will be a great addition to your collection. then you can spend that dough you saved on ammo... cause lets not kid ourselves .45 aint cheap no more

13. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

when you rent ... make sure you try out a glock 20 or 29 in 10mm

10mm kicks the .45's door in throws it on the floor watches its foot ball game in its lazyboy and drinks its beer

14. darkknight-nyc

darkknight-nyc New Member

I like the TT version w/ 5" barrel. On my to-buy list.

15. RandyMarsh

RandyMarsh New Member

Has anyone said Smith M&P? I know I seem like the only one here who loves to rock one, but GOD DAM MAN!!! Its a great gun!! My favorite features are the interchangable backstraps for the grip, the lack of a safety, and the viewing port so you can see right down into the breech and visually inspect for a round without even having to rack anything!

16. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

Love my 92 but also have a Kimber Classic Gold Match. If you like to shoot more often get a Browning Buck Mark or a Ruger MKIII. A Wally World bulk pack of Federal 550 22 @ $18 vs $21 for 50 round box of 45ACP. A 9mm box of 50 is $11 @ Wally World.

17. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

If money is not a big problem and you want a "kick a$$ semiauto", maybe a Magnum Research Desert Eagle in .50 Action Express or .44 Magnum would be good. You'd be the center of attention at the range. :cool:

18. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48 New Member

I made the suggestion on the M&P45 on my 1st post but it must have gotten lost in the shuffle! :D It has turned into one of my favorite guns to shoot and it now my daily carry .45 over my Glock 21 which is about as good of an endorsement for either gun as I can give. Mine even has the thumb safety ala the 1911 too.

19. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

I love my M&P 45 awesome gun can't go wrong

20. Mdrums

Mdrums New Member

I'm new with guns but have dived in head first. I now have my wife into shooting and last week she tried out a lot of guns and ended up,buying a M&P 9mm compact with Crimson Trace laser. I have little Glock27 but now like how the M&P fits my hand better. I also a, falling in live with the Beretta PX Storm that I've rented a few times.