My First Range Report (MP40 Content)

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by ZeusEcho, Jul 6, 2009.

1. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Hi, this is my first range report ever...so go easy on me. :D

Just some background...I have been shooting many times over the years with my father, grandfather, friends etc, but have never owned a firearm until now. I finally got my CCW and purchased a new M&P40.

I went to an indoor range today and put 100 rounds through it.

Targets are in order shot and the circles were at about 25 feet. The body (small) targets were about 20 feet.

Loaded 15 rounds (Winchester White Box) for each target and shot as fast I could comfortably trying to keep a good grouping. I would estimate about 3-5 seconds between rounds.

If any insight can be gleaned from these results please feel free to let me know as I am always looking to improve.

I really like the MP40 but since this is the first gun I have owned I cannot compare it to others. It seemed easy to shoot and feels very comfortable in my hands.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  2. ZeusEcho

Body Targets...

Attached Files:

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Here's some insight, bad guys better stay out of your house!

Congratulations on the new pistol.
    I also like the MP and am thinking of the 45 for my next handgun.

4. ZeusEcho

LOL...thanks Jo. :cool:

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Excellent choice of handgun M&P.40 and there is no need to compare or search for a better handgun, IMHO and the target shot groupings are very good indeed. Nice job and keep up the good shooting. :D

Jack

6. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

Looks very nice!
    I'll stay out of your house. :)

S.S.

7. ZeusEcho

Thanks Jack. BTW...I wasn't trying to compare in a search for another gun, I love the M&P. I just figured a true range report should include some of the shooting characteristics of the gun, which I don't have enough experience to understand yet.

Cheers...
    Z

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's good shooting. Now just continue to practice. :cool:

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

LOL...I know, hell I am just partial to M&P's and continued use will only enrich the mind and soul of the user. :D

Jack

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I have a friend who raves about the m&p's, he shoots very tight groups and said it takes a few hundred rounds to break it in and do that.

Good job, nice pistol!! :)

11. ZeusEcho

12. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

For your first handgun those are excellent results! Congratulations and keep practicing. Also, try different brands and weights of ammo - All guns have their preference for ammo, you just need to experiment a little! If you shoot a lot you will probably want to get into reloading - this will save you tons of money and allow you to customize your ammo for your shooting pleasure.

13. ZeusEcho

Thanks RL! BTW it was range ammo...Winchester White Box.

Reloading has already peaked my interest for sure in this ammo market. ;)

14. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I've bought approx. 1500 rds. of the WWB .40 155 and 165gr. ammo over the last year. I wasn't impressed with the accuracy of either, so I reloaded all the brass with Hornady 180gr. XTP and FMJ ammo and have made much better groups with my Beretta Mini Cougar. I posted a range report a few days ago and the accuracy at 10 yds was better than with any factory ammo I have shot out of it in the last 10 years. My gun prefers the heavier 180gr. loads. For practice however, you can't beat WWB!!

15. ZeusEcho

Good info, thanks RL. I was surprised when the range said I couldn't use my own ammo (some West Palm Beach ordinance...or so they say) so I forgot to check what they sold me (or should I say gouged me for :eek:). Anyway I don't know if it was 155gr or 165gr but I have some Remington UMC 180gr I'm gonna try next time. :D

16. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Congrats!! Dude.
    Nice shooting ;)

17. WDB

WDB New Member

Nice first outing!
    The more you shoot the better you will get and for a first time out with a new pistol that is pretty good. I expect your going to truly enjoy the M&P as most of us who own them do.