My first pistol!

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by lhitbombs, Mar 13, 2011.

1. lhitbombs

lhitbombs New Member

ok guys so i need some help, i have been shooting etc for quite some time, usually however it has been my father and other friends guns, its finally time for me to get one of my own. I am looking for a handgun, im about 6'5 300lbs and can handle most any kick back, but what im looking for here is some advice on some .45 caliber handguns that i might like, i understand i have to get out and shoot them but if i can narrow it a bit it would save me some time and money. Im looking for something that could possibly be concealed but i have a pretty large hand so nothing too small. I was looking at a glock 21 but like i said im open to any suggestion and would greatly appreciate some advice thank you

2. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Welcome to the forum!

Around here, if you say .45, we say 1911. That's probably the most famous and most trusted .45 cal pistol ever designed.

However, there are other, more modern guns that are lighter weight with higher ammo capacity, such as the Glock 21, or Springfield XD 45 that are also very good quality guns.

It all comes down to what you prefer and what you intend to do with the gun.

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I like the Beretta 96, 40 S&W. Large-ish gun. Looks cool. Not sure how concealable it is......they also make it in a 9MM version, Models 92, higher capacity mags.

4. lhitbombs

lhitbombs New Member

ok so im looking at all these now just tryin to do some reasearch before my trip to tanners, im seeing that there are many different 1911s? or is there one true 1911 and others are just trying to copy it? also i was looking at the S&W m&p 45? any thoughts? once again this is my first actual firearm purchase so much apologies for sounding like such a noob!

5. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

If you have large meathooks, you might want to try out a G21, or one of the widebody 1911s. STI has a couple of nice ones.

Welcome aboard, BTW.

6. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

From experience I would recommend an XD(m). I am a 1911 guy and I prefer all metal guns but my XD(m) 45 has corrupted me when it infiltrated my collection. I too have the bear paw problem (see the last pic in first link), and the interchangable back-straps of the XD(m) are perfect. I put the largest one on and haven't looked back.

However, the 1911 is my absolute favorite pistol platform. They are accurate, reliable, point naturally, and are just plain sexy.
    I have two XDms and nine 1911s and always looking for more, nuff said...

Here's my range report of the XD(m): http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/range-report-45-acp-springfield-xdm-45-a-28825/

And here is a 1911 one: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/45-acp-kimber-stainless-tle-ii-range-report-39700/

Edited: Reason: changed eight 1911s to nine, I forgot one, HA

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Some would say that Colt's are true 1911's and all other are clones. Colt was the 1st manufacturer however, due to War Time production demands they were quickly augmented by other makers under contract w/the US Govt. Also, it was not designed by Colt, it's the brain child of legendary gun designer John Moses Browning and served the US Military from 1911 until 1985 making it the longest serving handgun ever issued.

Today, there are more companies building 1911's than any other gun ever designed so the list of choices is endless and ranges from Asian & S American imports starting under 500 to full blown custom shop guns costing several thousands.

Some of the favored manufacturers you'll read about here would include:
    Kimber & Springfield Armory because they both build quality guns w/good fit and finish but there are dozens of builders that fit this bill.

Check out the 1911 forum here for good info on this design. Those of us who love it, do so because we have a wide range of experience shooting just about every handgun ever built, and find the 1911 to be the BEST shooting gun available.

TACK

8. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Well said +1 !

9. lhitbombs

lhitbombs New Member

hey guys first i wanted to say thanks for all the great information and the search has begun, im not too sure of my price range but i know i dont wana be outragious aka over 800-100 dollars, those guns will be coming when im a bit older. That being said, a friend of mine recommended a p90 ruger .45 cal? ive never shot this gun before but figured someone here has, and also the s&w m&p 45? im definitely not trying to beat a dead horse here, and appreciate your advice and suggestions, im just coming across so much information im a bit overwhelmed it would seem. Also how hard is it to get find an FFL if i decide to order something online? Im reading what im writing as i go and i truly feel like a noob! but please be patient with me! Also i know this is the wrong thread/post to put it in but if any of you guys have anything laying around that you might be willing to part with im definitely interested, better to buy from people that know their stuff so that you dont get BSed.

10. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S&W M&P45, that is my suggestion. With your size, the interchangeable back strap will give you the flexibility to get the best grip fit for your hand. It is also one heck of a pistol.
    Just my opinion.

Attached Files:

11. jca1

jca1 New Member

I'd suggest a Sig P220 in stainless w/ a hogue wrap around grip for large hands.

12. Anch368

Anch368 New Member

I have fired my fair share of .45's. I have tried the P90, Glock, M&P, XDM, Colt Kimber Cutom, Kimber Pro Carry, and STI. I am a Glock lover but have to go with these guys on the 1911 frame. By far the best shooters were the Colt, Kimber and STI. For just starting off though, if you are going for reliability and learning purposes I would go with the Glock or the M&P. I have the Glock 21, and my dad has the M&P, and I love the M&P. By far the best polymer frame .45 you can find out there. For the price range you are looking for go for a polymer frame .45 and worry about getting a nicer 1911 frame later. May seem like a lot of information all at once but just keep narrowing it down. Right now stick to polymer, unless you find a 1911 frame of a good manufacturer at a steal of a price. Hope this helps

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If I'm buying a .45 as my first and only pistol...with the potential to carry...here's the direction I'd look, in order:

1) 1911. Both Government and Commander frames can make excellent carry guns depending on your preferences.

2) Sig P220. A great 45, with full or compact frames available.

3) Polymer: No need to point to one over another. Look into XD, Glock, SW M&P, FNP and H&K. They're all high mileage, low maintenance, quality platforms. Just find the one that fits you best.

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Great advice here, especially about the poly guns. At the end of the day what matters is what fits you best and what you shoot well. The only real decisions are steel frame, alloy frame, or poly frame and what capacity you're looking for...

15. lhitbombs

lhitbombs New Member

hey whats up guys figured i would give you an update on the gun search. Im going to shoot the xd, the glock 21, and the sw mp45, i have found a few 1911 reps i was hoping to get your opinion on, first is the american classic 2 gi 1911, and the para 1911 gi expert. there are so many different 1911 lookalikes, and i was wondering if the 1911 replica is going to do better for me than the glock or xd or sw etc. guess my only real answer is to shoot them. but always looking for opinions as i am a bit indecisive.

16. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Check this one out

You might look at sexy Italian .45 the Beretta PX4 Storm :cool:
    Check it out
    [​IMG]

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Pay attention to the tangs on the 1911's you are looking at (that piece between the webbing of your hand and the hammer). It's easy to ignore its importance when you are just shooting a few rounds at the range, but you'll want a nice beavertail on the gun after a hundred rounds or so. A good beavertail makes the gun more comfortable to shoot and improves recoil management.

Para's are good guns, but the tang on the GI is the original straight style. That can wind up cutting into your hand and make shooting it far less enjoyable.

Any of the polys are good choices. All depends on what you find comfortable. For myself, I love Springfield XDm's but I find Glocks feel like a brick. Your mileage will definitely vary.

18. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I have a GI Expert, here's mine:
    [​IMG]

Here's the Grip Safety:
    [​IMG]

ScottA is right about the tang. Don't get me wrong. Its a good gun but after a little while, chop meat starts looking more like a hand then your hand does. However, Para now makes a GI Expert with a true beavertail grip safety, the GI Expert LTC:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  19. remington7mm

remington7mm New Member

i shoot all the 3 your looking at before buying my xd45 4 inch. i really wanted the m&p but the 1911 s&w felt awsome in my hand. the xd blew my mind for the price and capacity it holds. i ended up buying the xd because it holds 13+1 comed with ss mags, hamerless and has a load inicator aswell. good luck on you purchase as i am trying to find i nicely used m&p because i love them still.

20. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

There are just a lot of good pistols to choose from. I would suggest you go somewhere so you can compare them with each other regarding feel and comfort for you. And certainly what appeals to you. I would suggest the following 45s.

SIG 220
    1911 Models (Full Size) *There are many fine Manufacturers of the 1911 Pistol
    Springfield XD
    Glock