My first pistol will be a .45 but which one?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by macdiesel, Feb 9, 2010.

1. macdiesel

macdiesel New Member

I'm looking to get a .45 as a car/home gun. This will be my 1st pistol to own but not my first to shoot. I've shot a few .45's and didn't find the recoil to be impressive at all. I've also spent the last 12 years getting to know the Beretta 92 9mm and I really love that gun. If they made it in .45 I wouldn't be writing this! The only thing I don't love about it is the lack of lefty friendliness.

I'd like my new gun to be lefty friendly, full sized, hold 10 or more rounds, polymer framed and cost less than $600. I have pretty big hands so grip size ins't an issue.

I've had my eye on a few already, and held a couple at a local shop. I've shot the USP45 and a Ruger 45, P90 I think. Both were good shooters, but no lefty controls. The USP had right handed molded grip and I was still pulling off sub 4" groups at 15 yards. The XD45, 24/7, P250, HK45 and M&P45 are the ones that I've actually handled. I liked the M&P, but an excop friend of mine said his partner had 2 different models that kept jamming on him. I've also heard several cases on gundirectory about them jamming in various ways. That kind of makes me want to steer away from it. I've also heard a lot of positive feedback too, so I'm on the fence. The 24/7 felt nice, but the slide release was so stiff I nearly dislocated my thumb working it. (and its on the right handed side) Other than that, I liked it a lot. It's really light. The XD was nice in the same way. I was very impressed with the new modular P250. It felt great and had a great trigger, but is it like a leatherman multi-tool. Really handy, but no where near as good as actual pliers and screwdrivers....? The HK45 felt like a dream! But its $1200 so it's out.

I'm really interested in the FNP45 and the PX4 .45. No one around here has one so I haven't been able to hold one.

Please tell me what you think and why. If I'm misled somewhere let me know. I'm big boy, so I can take it.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Other than the Sig 250, I've owned every gun you have mentioned (my FNP is 9mm though). My only .45, other than 1911s, is an XD Compact if that says anything. Round capacity has never been a huge deal for me so I find a 1911 the "perfect" .45 as 8 rounds is sufficient in my book. Just a note, I do not recommend using 10 round mags in a 1911 as I've seen mucho troubles with them.

As far as lefty friendly, I can't help you there as it's not a factor for me. You're Army, so where are you going to be stationed stateside? We have members near lots of posts and I work on Ft Stewart...

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

XD45 is a good option.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

As far as 45s go, I've got and XD and a Kimber and I would highly recommend both. I carry my Kimber because it's thinner and easier for me to hide but I can shoot well with both. If the XD is in your price range I would give it a serious look. In my book it's the best polymer pistol available today in ergonomics, safety and function.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Not sure what you mean about not finding the .45 recoil to be impressive. Is that a good thing, a bad thing, or none of the above?

I have to agree with most of the other responders. The XD45 fits most of your criteria, including the capacity you want. Regarding the left-sidedness, you might go to the Springfield Armory website to see if they offer a kit for this for the XD? I know you can buy trigger kits, maybe they have something that can help you.

6. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

XD 45, I shoot lefty, very left hand friendly, ambi mag release, no anti lefty safety.

7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

If thats for the standard HK USP 45, *DELETED* They can be had for much less.

Even Buds has the Tacital Compact(threaded BBL) for $978 delivered to your FFL

Guns for Sale <--- BUDSGUNSHOP.COM

Kimber can be found for as low as 500 for a god used one.

BUT, Why a 45 when 9 is SOOOOOO much cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2010
  8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Because some of us like a caliber that makes a large hole...

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Why settle for a pipsqueak "trainer" caliber when you can have the real deal?

10. stalkingbear

Having shot most of the models being discussed, I'd go for a XD45 if I was in your place.

11. macdiesel

macdiesel New Member

By impressive, I just mean I didn't find it harsh at all.

12. macdiesel

macdiesel New Member

No this is a new model and completely different from the USP45. Go check out the new HK45. It's a really nice peice.

13. macdiesel

macdiesel New Member

Thanks for the replies everybody!

The XD seems to be the general concensus. That's even what my excop buddy carried. Not a bad price either.

Does anyone care to comment on the FNP45, PX4, or Taurus 24/7? The Taurus' striker is always ready to fire. Meaning you don't have to cock it after pulling the trigger. Anyone have thoughts on that?

14. stalkingbear

It's my opinion that repeat strike capability is really not an issue with modern loads-they have very few misfires.

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The only new Taurii I ever bought was a 24/7 Pro. The trigger reset failed after less than one week and about 100 rounds downrange. It took Taurus 10 or 12 weeks to repair and return the gun - which I immediately traded off.

I will not purchase Taurus again. There are just to many guns on the market in the same price range that do not have the QC issues. I believe they built in the "double-strike" capability because light primer strikes are a common problem for a lot of their guns. Taurus can make decent guns (metal mostly) as I've had a couple of their 1911s as well as a couple of their Beretta clones and they were solid...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  16. willfully armed

17. willfully armed

MY 24/7C 9mm was awesome. Super accurate and carried well.

My 24/7 9 service shot poorly brand new, sent it in, 6 weeks later I recieved it and they'd put a new barrel in it. Accuracy rivals my HK USP 9.

Just bought another 24/7 9 4" for 250, has a broken extractor, so it just shipped out tonight.

18. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Now is that any way to talk?

19. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

20. willfully armed

should I have spelled it out?