My First(ish) Shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by victorzamora, Jun 6, 2011.

1. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Alright guys, I love these threads so I figured I'd go ahead and start one. I plan on buying the shotgun no later than a month from now. I plan on spending up to $500 on it (I know, not much...but I'm a college student only getting paid by research). The shotguns I've been looking at were a Remington Model 1100, Remington 870 here, a Mossberg 535, and an Investarm 12GA overunder. I've been looking at 12GA, but I wouldn't mind a 20GA (mostly because of my girlfriend). I want it as a mainly skeet/trap gun. It will sit by my nightstand, but the focus WILL be breaking little orange clay disks.

I say that this is my first-ish shotgun because although I've never owned a shotgun, I've shot a shotgun of every action so I can get used to anything...but I've never shot anything so often that I'm used to it. Anywho, let me know what you think.

2. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

3. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

The Benelli Nova is an awesome shotty as well.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

My first choice would be the Remington 870. Nothing is as durable.

5. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Honstly, a Mossy 500 is about all anyone would need unless going for the high dollar "Im rich and I shoot clay pigeons" type of thing. No offense intended, I understand the desire for a really nice shotty, I have the same desire, but as a start out "my first shotgun" type thing, you cant go wrong with a Mossy.

6. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

A Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 will certainly serve, but I would go with a Model 1100 if you want to kill clay pigeons. If you get an LT20, you can pick up a Youth stock that may fit your lady's stature a little better easily as well. I have been shooting one for 48 years so I am a bit prejudiced, but they are good guns and the light recoil is great for shooting targets.
    I would not get an inexpensive O/U just so I could say I have one. I don't like O/Us anyway, but if you do, I would wait until I could afford a good one. There is more to a good one than just going 'Bang!' when you pull the trigger.

7. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Man, I keep forgetting about the Nova!! I keep looking at it, then looking at something else slightly more expensive over and over until I'm looking at $2000 and then I start over and ignore Benellis all together.

I was looking at the Stoeger, but for the cost is it worth it? I mean, would you rather have a Stoeger O/U or a Benelli Nova?

This is a dumb question, but what's the benefit of an over/under?

8. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Hey, I would've said the EXACT same thing two weeks ago...but I walked into my LGS and they had a Mossy 500. I racked it a couple of times, and it felt okay. Then he pulled out a Benelli and asked what I thought of the feel, it really was an incredible difference. It was a brand new Mossberg 500 and a used Benelli, and the Benelli felt SOO much more solid. Of course, it WAS the $1300 model...but that's besides the point. I understand the allure of going up to and around $1000 for a shotgun, but all those Krieghoffs and Berettas fall into that buying it just to buy it regime.

9. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

The Bennelli Nova's run from $399-$499 by me. That is the pump model.

If I were buying a new shotgun and it was going to my only one as a do a little of everything gun, I would first look at the Bennelli, Rem 870 then the Mossy 500. I would exclude everyother action but the pump. Possibly, a single shot if my budget was only $200. With a budget of $500, the Bennelli would be what I would buy.

10. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

I've found the 28" version cheap online, under $400. I think I'm making a soft decision on it. If someone else can chime in with a better option, let me know!

11. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I just bought a 12 gauge 18" barrel Remington 870 Express today from Bass Pro Shop for $379. Capacity is 6+1. Sling, stock sleeve (for carrying extra ammo), buckshot and tax all came out to $440 total.

All black synthetic stock plus all black accessories all looks badarse. I think this will be the new "go to" for my home defense. The old 357 revolver would do the job, but the impact pattern of the shotgun raises chance of a hit I think.

[​IMG]

12. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

starter

rem 870 or mossburg 500 is the way to go im a beretta shooter and you can always move up in my experance stoger do not hold up for high volume shooting to start work your right arm save some money and then buy a b gun (browning beretta blaser)sorry benillie

13. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

I'm pretty much completely set on the Benelli Nova, but I do have a couple of questions. Do y'all think that upgrading to the SuperNova is a worthy choice? Also, 24",26", or 28" long barrel? Will it really matter??

14. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Also, what about 12GA vs 20GA?

15. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

gun

benelli with 28 barrels if your set on the nova

16. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

I LOVE MY 20S but start wit 12

17. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

^^this^^
    you'll love it forever.

18. Smurfette

Smurfette New Member

I'm new to shooting, and I weight around 90. Should I get the Benelli Nova, Remington 870 or Mossberg 500?

Last week I tried my friend's pump action one from Big 5 and a Benelli Super Sport and I love the Benelli @.@ but It's too expensive for a beginner... I'm also looking at the Benelli M1.. but I guess I don't need a semi-auto for now?? I'm not sure..

Thanks!

19. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

Smurfette, to you I would also suggest the 870 (although I'd probably suggest it to any and everyone as well). Recoil to me using target loads is almost nil (I'm sure the supercell pad they put on the stock helps), yet I am twice your weight. Either way, it's a great thing to have. You can even go 20ga if you're more comfortable with that.

20. Smurfette

Smurfette New Member

Thanks :) I think I will get the 870 for now.. but the Benelli M1 is pretty tempting cuz my friend is selling it at $600.. is that a good price?