My first handgun. I need suggestions!

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Bigcountry74, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Bigcountry74

Bigcountry74 New Member

What's a good pistol thats bigger than the .22 but still somewhat cheap to shoot? Caliber, brand? Also semi auto.. This will be my first handgun.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
  2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

9mm of course. many, many different pistols chambered in this round. best suggestion. go to a gunstore or local range that has rentals and start trying some out. figure out what you can afford to spend and then narrow it down to what fits your hand the best and is the easiest to operate. if what fits the best is out of range of your budget, then either wait and save up until you can afford it, or look around for one like it used. then buy it and shoot the snot out of it.

3. Mason609

Mason609 New Member

I agree with Axxe. 9mm is currently one of, if not THE least expensive rounds you can get.

4. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

yep, if all you are concerned with is price of ammo, 9mm is gonna be your most common, not a bad starter pistol, I don't know what you want to pay, just don't make the mistake of jumping on the cheapest thing that comes along as there are soooo many good guns available and you will find it is worth waiting to save up for something decent as opposed to buying the bargain basement and wishing you had something nicer.

5. yamaharyder369

yamaharyder369 New Member

I completely agree with everyone, I just bought my first pistol in January and I went with a 9mm Smith & Wesson. They are very fun and cheap to put fmj's through. I just took mine out this weekend and put 300 rounds through it for about 75 dollars. And if you ever want to carry it, they will do just fine with a nice heavy hollow point. May not have the kinetic energy of the bigger rounds like 45 acp or .40 cal but mine still sinks hydra-shok 147 grains about 4 inches into a solid log. Hope the info helps buddy.

6. Bigcountry74

Bigcountry74 New Member

Thanks everyone! Im for sure goin to get the 9mm. Im thinkin about the ruger P95?? Or somethin in the 500$ range

7. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Now that you have the caliber decided, which gun is personal preference, what fits my hand and feels right might be the gun you hate. Fondle, I mean handle a lot of different guns and ask lots of questions about reliability, warranty, cleaning, parts availability. Let us know what you get, pics are nice too:D

8. Bigcountry74

Bigcountry74 New Member

I for sure will!! Im goin to a gun show on the 24th here in kansas city Mo. I gotta bring somethin home!

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If you enjoy the 9mm I would recommend the a Glock. If you are planning on reloading and you want stopping power get a .45. 9mm isn't very expensive but it's pointless to reload. .45 isn't much more but it can be worthwhile to reload.

10. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

For the price the Ruger P95 is a fine gun. It is accurate and reliable it will serve you well. My 2 cents would be to master the first pull on the trigger as it will be double action. Dry fire it in that mode till you can pull all the way through the action smoothly. Then your first shot will truly count for something.

11. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

The Ruger is a good gun and though I have not had to deal with them I have been told their customer service is good as well. If you think you may want to go with a glock, xp, m&p or other such striker fired pistol make sure you handle them and feel the trigger pull and become familiar with the safety systems before you purchase, I for one prefer a exposed hammer and a safety which the P95 has both, also research your pricing before buying at the gun show, the P95 has a msrp of $399-$429 on Ruger's website, so you should be able to get one new for that or less, don't get taken for a ride!

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You can get a vintage Browning Hi-Power in your price range.

If you're going to get a 9, get the "King of 9's"

Royal Tiger Imports
    Belgian Made, Israeli Issue Used Browning Hi-Power
    VGC - $399.95
    EC - $499.95
    LN - $549.95

FN Browning Hi Power 9x19. FFL REQUIRED

They go fast!

13. Bigcountry74

Bigcountry74 New Member

Thankyou everyone for the great advice!!