My first gun

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Levush, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Levush

Levush New Member

Hey everyone, im a newbie when it comes to guns, im interested in buying my first one, so the real question is?? Would a walther ppq be a good starter, the reviews on this gun are all good, soooo????

2. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

If that's what you want, go get it. Have any experience with firearms?

3. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I feel the best course of action is to start with a .22LR. Easy to shoot and inexpensive ammo. Get good with the .22LR and then make your centerfire choices(s). I guarantee you will always love your .22LR and shoot it more often than the others.

With that said... here are some good choices in auto loaders;

pistol - Browning Buck Mark, Ruger Mark III
    rifle - Marlin 60/795, Ruger 10/22

4. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

Those mark III's are pretty sweet. I plan on getting two, one for the wife and one for me.

5. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

If you have handled the PPQ and still like the way it feels, then go for it. There are some people that are not fans of any Walthers, but I have had no qualms with them. Your best bet would be to find a range or a friend with one and shoot it before you take the plunge.

6. Levush

Levush New Member

Yes I have shot a sig 250 40cal, rugar 9mm, and couple of others, and held the ppq but never shot it.. But thanks for the info everyone

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Levush, why don't you jump over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself?

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Not a 1911 but its a good gun as guns go :rolleyes:

9. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Walther has always made high quality pistols. I can think of worse choices ;)

10. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I agree that trying it out if you can would be ideal. It all depends on if the gun feels right for you.

Also, what are you going to use it for? Target shooting, carry, home defense? I know another member recommended starting with a .22, but if I needed to defend myself, I would not reach for my .22, but a larger caliber that I shoot well. That is just my opinion.

11. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

I personally wouldn't ever buy a walther. But if your just starting out in the gun world, I'm not so sure jumping into a pistol is the best choice. There are so many factors with handguns, ammunition size, which action, material like metal or polymer, I mean I could go on forever. Honestly maybe a .22lr rifle would be the best place to start. Shoot some targets and maybe a few squirrels and then step up. My guess is that's how most of us remember getting into the firearms world is by shooting their dads or uncles .22, that's how I learned back when I was 9.

But if you think I'm short-changing you, and you want a full blow handgun and no .380 or .22 garbage, I'd say stick with either 9 mill or .40 cal. Decide whether you are a compact or full size guy (judge this by the way it fits in your hands mostly), find out what materials you like, and then most importantly, try it out. Not shooting a gun before you buy it is like not test driving a car. Hope this helps. :D