My first gun/glock

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Dustin860, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Dustin860

Dustin860 New Member

Purchased the Glock 19 for CC last week. So far I couldn't be happier with my decision. Ordered a crossbreed holster and now I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Right now the Glock is still factory with some night sights (it was a police trade in). What mods if any do you recommend? Thanks for all the help!

2. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

Congrats on your 19. Since you already have night sights IMO I would not add anything. Why mess with perfection?:D

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Other than the sights, which you already have, I recommend getting an extended magazine release if you have to change your grip dramatically to use it like I do.

4. HeroesTactical

HeroesTactical New Member

Dustin,
    Congratulations on your new purchase! The 19 will serve you very well I’m sure.
    First off I would definitely recommend an extended slide stop. As I can imagine you have already noticed how difficult it is to release the factory stop. The extension is very easy to install and does not impead on concealment.
    Another important upgrade is the extended magazine release. Make transitioning to a new mag very smooth.
    I use these upgrades on every Glock I own and love them!
    Let me know if you have any more questions and I’ll be more than happy to help you out!
    Heroes Tactical Gear and Apparel - Make It Fit for Yourself in the Field - Proverbs 24:27
    Mike

5. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

^^This

^^I got the extended mag release for my 26, which is my carry gun, and didn't like it. As soon as I would put it in my holster, which is a CrossBreed Supertuck, the mag would release. The extended release is much too long as I didn't feel like filing it down so I took it out. So unless you wanna file it, don't order it as it won't work in a Supertuck.

The only other "mod" I would recommend is as much ammo as you can afford so you can go out and practice and get proficient with it.

-Fred

6. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

SS guide spring&rod and maybe a "butt" plug and thats it for me:)

7. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

I had this problem in my fobus paddle holster. I now carry my 26 in a crossbreed supertuck. I reinstalled the extended mag release yesterday, and I didn't have any problems with the mag release. It is probably more person to person dilemma. If you have a few bucks to waste, it may be good purchase.

8. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

I had the same problem mentioned above I did however file it down. I'd say depending on your size/shape it will affect the mag release on a holster. But if this is primarily a ccw gun, a mag release is not needed. How many of us carry an extra magazine anyway? I know I don't in my person however, i do keep two in my car. You never know....as far as anything to "upgrade" your glock,
    Maybe a ghost trigger connector and a steel guide rod. The connector will make your trigger pull about 4.5 lbs and give you a shorter reset and a steel guide rod will help with the muzzle flip. Cheers!

9. RecklessRegard

I would always carry an extra mag. Many issues associated with semi auto handguns lie in the mag. Yes, Glocks are beyond reliable, but just in case.

I ordered a package from Glockmeister. It came with sights, steel guide rod, extended mag release, extended slide stop, a 3.5 pound trigger and a grip plug. Not a bad deal, and I installed everything myself in about 20 min.

10. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Must be a good feeling about now. Use it in good health :)

11. Dustin860

Dustin860 New Member

Got a link if it's still available? Thanks!

12. GlockStar

GlockStar New Member

My advice is to the shoot it first because you might find you like it as is. Personally I pull the slide back to release it so slide catch isn't an issue. Don't find the mag release to be awkward at all. I'd consider the 3.5 trigger connector and steel guide rod if you don't trust polymers (then again you bought a glock:p). If it ain't broke...

13. RecklessRegard

Dustin

Sent you a PM. I also would shoot a bit before you start to switch stuff out. In the PM I gave you the link to the Tactical Kit for the G26, sorry. I also gave to the main page link, so sift through the site and find the one for the G19. I forgot what gun the post started with :confused: .

14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have had a glock for 10 years, i have found out tht it really doesnt matter wat internals u switch out on a glock its still gonna b the same glock.. I have a 31 tht ive switched out alot of things and About the only thing tht u can tell a difference with after u switch it out is a different trigger and thts only because u can adjust the slack in the the trigger pull.. But all in all a glock is just better left how it is cause its still gonna shoot the same

15. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

16. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Glock 19 is the best Glock model in my opinion. It's the perfect size.

17. ATC2

ATC2 New Member

OK here's the deal, don't get the square mag release for reasons already mentioned it will also poke you on the side with an IWB holster. Good advise to shoot it for a while then you start to realize what you really need if anything at all. Upgrading sites might be one of the first things to consider, you want to be able to hit what you intend to shoot, so a light may be another consideration especially if it's your home defense weapon. I consider these the necessities then later get the niceties. Holsters are like a pair of shoes you'll end up with more than what you need but you can only use one at a time.
    Congrats on your new gun, you made a great choice.

18. utf59

utf59 New Member

Congrats on the Glock!

As others have said, shoot it first. Then, with all these suggestions in mind, if there's some way you think it could be improved, you'll know what to do.

A couple of thoughts on the trigger. Some police departments are required to use extra-heavy trigger connectors. Sometimes referred to as "New York triggers," the pull on these is around 8 lbs. I don't know which departments require it, so check it out on your own. If you have one of these, then you might like the stock trigger connector, which I believe is 5 – 5.5 lbs. Or you might, as someone suggested earlier, like the 3.5. Or, since they're inexpensive, you can collect 'em all!

If you do want to use it for self-defense/home defense, keep in mind that some courts might consider a lighter-than-stock trigger to be the kind of modification that would make a gun more dangerous and you more liable. Check laws in your area.