My first gun for C&C

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by stratusthewise, Nov 10, 2012.

1. stratusthewise

stratusthewise New Member

Have been looking around and using as many handguns as I can.
    I feel that a 9mm is enough power for me.

Made a list with input from friends/comrades of what they like/dislike and why; most have good opinions and suggestions.

Still in limbo with relation of what to buy, however I really like the look and price of Sccy CPX-(1 and 2). Having read through a couple different forums and articles, I have heard both good and bad stories about Sccy. My question now is, if I bought a Sccy CPX-1(I prefer a safety) how do you distinguish a gen 1 from a gen 2 or greater?

I'll also appreciate suggestions/opinions-with-evidence for other guns

Thanks

2. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

I don't have any first hand knowledge of SCCY products, but I did a quick search and the Gen 1 grip should have horizontal lines while the Gen 2 is pebbled.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Take a look at the Star Model B, a great 9mm C&R.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. PeterLuger

PeterLuger New Member

Jules' Winfield gun of choice hahah

5. stratusthewise

I don't really care for the 1911 style. It is functional without a doubt, just not for everyone.
    also, that would be harder to conceal as I am fairly small framed.
    but yeah, looks good.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Is the 9mm enough (with your expertise in shooting) of putting down a 120# wild hog or a 200# BG?

Have you looked into how many holsters are available for the SCCY?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  7. cluznar

cluznar New Member

If you are on a low budget take a look at the Bersa Thunder .380 for about $270 also the Bersa BP9cc 9mm don't know how much experience you have in shooting. But for a 1st carry gun something from .32 acp on up to 9mm is a good choice.

You might also look at the Ruger SP101 .327 Mag which also shoots .32 ammo

8. stratusthewise

my limited experience includes practice with moving targets
    .45 "scares" me, so i've been told
    .22 easy enough
    9mm just right
    didn't like the .32 or .380

now then, played with some more guns at the local dealers
    very fond of ruger sr9
    feels great but its a lil big imo for C&C
    sr9c is the answer to the lil big problem but never played with one
    kahr K9 is another i'm fond of, just not real happy with clip size

9. stratusthewise

putting down a hog? i'll use a knife and some rope
    i don't exactly live in the boonies but i am a farm hand every now and again
    only ever encountered a hog once, he ran from us (3 at the time)

holsters are very important but i have not looked into one for the cpx-1

10. stratusthewise

for my budget, i would like to stay under $600

hope that answers all of this batch o' Q's

11. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Ruger SR9C
    Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 9mm

My top two. The thunder is better priced option.

If I had to do it all over again, these are the two I'd look at. Bersa being number 1. These two have superior trigger actions and both are high quality makers with high ratings.

Read up some on the SCCY, it seems as spotty a reputation as jimenez. While I love my SNS guns, I don't recommend them for personal protection.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  12. cluznar

cluznar New Member

For under $600 you can find some very nice guns, why would you want to go with a SCCY?

Look at Ruger, S&W, Bersa and any other manufacturers. Don't be hasty, try and shoot any you can. Also look at reviews on different guns online. There are some VERY nice guns for under $600

13. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have to agree and 2nd this. If your budget is $600 then I would suggest looking at some other pistols than an SCCY. You can get a better gun for that $$$. Try a Springfield XDM/XDS, Glock 19 or 36, S&W Shield, Ruger just to name a few. There are allot of great choices for $600 that you need to check out and try and shoot if they are available at a range near you. Especially if you plan to CC as a defense pistol. You defintely want to go with the best possible you can shoot good and afford if you plan on protecting yourself and your family. Good luck!!

14. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

I prefer to CC a full frame pistol, double stack, striker fired,at least 4" barrel(that's what I have the most experience with) .

I only had half those $$$$ to work with so I bought a S&W sigma SW9VE 9mm 16+1 for $280.

It had a very hard trigger pull. I did a 5 minute trigger modifacation I read about. Now this gun is sweet.
    It has a 3-4lbs trigger, feels better in my hand than other more expensive guns( I wish the grip was a little longer), I can hit a milk jug at 25 yards.... you can't really ask for more. Ohh and it breaks down in 5 seconds.... literally

If I had $600
    I would buy the sw9ve or .40 $280
    4 mags $100
    IWB & OWB holsters $50-$100
    Double & single mag pouch $30
    the rest on ammo

15. stratusthewise

I don't understand this universal disapproval of Sccy. I've held and tinkered with one and it felt good. It's also small enough to be easily concealed on my person.
    why wouldn't I go with a Sccy?

and yes, other guns are creeping up my list. Ruger sr9 felt great and now i'm interested in finding the sr9c to compare. I would carry a full size pistol if I felt that it would promote benefits other than greater accuracy at mid-short range.

I can hit a milk jug at 25 yards too :p
    practiced with watermelons

I believe that you shouldn't shoot a gun unless you mean it so a heavy trigger pull is more to my liking.

Come monday, I'm venturing out farther into neighboring cities and checking out other gun shops. Hopefully I will get to hold a Bersa thunder pro 9mm.

16. stratusthewise

they are a bit expensive, but anyone have yay's/nay's for Kahr 9mm?
    (specifically, Kahr K9)

17. H2oWerker

H2oWerker New Member

I'd give Kahr a resounding "yea". I recently added a CW 40 to my CCW collection to replace my H&K USPc 40 when I need something slimmer, and my wife will soon be carrying a CM-9.
    While I do prefer the SADA on the H&K so I can carry decocked. The DAO on the Kahr functions well (double taps not so much though) with its long trigger pull. It (mine) has a pronounced yet smooth trigger-break that I like.

I did pick up one of the PM-9's while at the store, and like the CM-9 I found it "too small for me", and haven't checked out any of their other offerings.

They all seem to be well made purpose driven machines, and are priced below what they could sell for IMHO.

18. TX45

TX45 New Member

The Ruger SR9c as suggested above is an excellent subcompact for cc. The Ruger SR40c is about the same size for those who love the 40SW round. Both can be had NIB for around $400.

19. willerfortheworld

willerfortheworld New Member

Cz p01. Done and done. Nothing beats it.

Accuracy, reliability, durability, low bore axes, fast,ergonomic, sexy, NATO approved, and proven design. What else do you need?

Czech or nothing!!

20. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

SCCY was founded from ex Kel Tech employes, unless I'm mistaken. Maybe that could be the reason behind other people's hesitancy to buy one?