My first design thru build

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by dystopian-gunsmith, Dec 26, 2011.

1. dystopian-gunsmith

dystopian-gunsmith New Member

This is my first post, so be kind. I'm 19 years old and have been aspiring to be a gunsmith since I was 8 years old. I was blessed with acess to a machine shop over the last 2 years, and I would say that I am a skilled machinist.
    Well here it is, it's a closed bolt hammer fired SMG, semi only of
    course. The bolt is the rear of a CZ handgun slide I hacked off. It took eight months from idea to finish, and since no-one has ever made this particular gun before there were problems every step of the way. I live in nevada so it's toatally legal. If any one is interested in this ill post schematics and more pics.

Attached Files:

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Bwahahaha, that's beautiful! Good job, good job indeed! Its real nice to see such fine work!

2 questions
    1. Why no sights or trigger guard?
    2. If building one like this, from a blank slate, why such a heavy Thompson influence?

These aren't criticisms, I ask because I'm curious.

Lets get a range report too!

3. Hesher420

Hesher420 New Member

Looks amazing! I love making my stuff "mine" by customizing it, but thats a whole new level of custom!

4. dystopian-gunsmith

Thanks!
    No trigger guard or sights because it's not finished yet. Haha I also need to blue it as well. I bought some blue wonder home blueing it hasn't come In yet. But I'll put pics up after its blued.
    I choose a Thompson design honestly because I love the old Americana look but my pocketbook hates it! Haha this is the closest thing I'll have to a Thompson for a long time haha. Not including man hours (about 20,000) I only spent 90$ on this project. The barrel was a 9mm blank in the scrap bin at green mountain barrels for 20$. Chambered it myself with a boring bar : ( (not recommended!!) the barrel was originally a foot long, and now it's 9" just to give you an idea of the trouble I had. I documented every step of the way and I have machinists drawings for every part.
    As for a range report it's very heavy because I used very thick gauge steel for the upper and lower reciever for safety reasons. And since it shoots the 9mm round with a 9 inch barrel it feels like your shooting a 22. It's much more accurate than I though with groups the size of a fist at 50 yards. here's some more pics

image-1288386582.jpg this is the blank barrel

image-3634353355.jpg

Here's the bolt with charging lever

image-710877754.jpg

Here's the rail that the bolt rides on

image-568131123.jpg

Milling the front grip holder

image-2592626295.jpg

Plan

image-3390253330.jpg

First cuts on barrel

image-3587906675.jpg

Rear view without cover you can see the mainspring rod

Attached Files:

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

You should check into the legalities of making a home built gun fully auto. I'll bet that thing would be awesome on full rock and roll.

Overall, very nice job, I'm thoroughly impressed. Wish I had those skills.

6. dystopian-gunsmith

When I said 20,000 man hours I was joking I probably spent 100 hours designing, and 1000 building. For all you serious people lol : )

7. unclebear

unclebear New Member

looks pretty good, have you test fired it all? and will you post a video of the test firing?

8. Jim1611

Jim1611 New Member

Glad to see someone of the younger crowd interested in the metal trade. Nice work!

9. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Nice job. Now go back to work.

10. dystopian-gunsmith

It's not legal to make it rock n roll without a class 3, but I plan on gettin one some day. Next time I take it out to the desert to shoot ill take some videos. I made a fake suppressor for it as well

image-3328126358.jpg

Here's some practice engraving I did then reverse electro plated with silver. When I get better I plan on doing the whole gun

Attached Files:

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah I thought about that right after I posted. All you need to make your own non nfa is the right tools right?

Your engraving is amazing. Maybe I'll be your first customer one day.

Your a hero.

12. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Hate to rain on your parade bro,but to my understanding its illegal to convert any gun to full auto class 3 license or not. The only legally transferable and ownable machine guns are ones that are registered in the machinegun registry,and since the machinegun registry is closed you can't manufacture a machingun and register it.The legal number of machineguns in the united states can only decline,not increase. This is why a plain Jane full auto AR or AK will fetch well over 10,000 dollars in most cases between dealers,because there's only a set number of full autos in the U.S.

I did a bunch of research on the subject and this is the information I came up with,and to my knowledge is the way it is. If somebody better versed on the subject than me finds me to be wrong then please speak up as I am always craving more firearms knowledge

13. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Hey good job. I would like one in 7.62x25. I can do better than the 90.00 for materials. I don't know what we can do about the 20,000 manhours though.

14. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Just hopped on the PC to look at the pics,awesome build. I aspired to be a gunsmith for the longest time as well,but without the resources that you have I tried to use the USMC (a second aspiration of mine) to get me in a position to become a gunsmith. Even though I was a near perfect poolee the guys at MEPS decided to screw me... so my gunsmithing plan got put on an indefinite hold. Good to see that someone with the same passion for firearms is making it happen. Gunsmithing seems to be a dying trade.

15. dystopian-gunsmith

I was joking about the 20,000. It only took about 1,100 hours but that's just because it's my first scratch build (I built an amd-65 from a parts kit and a bolt Action 50 from a manual), and didn't know the tricks I could make another one in any calibre in about 25- 75 hours because I learned from my mistakes : ) if anyone is serious about me building them one I have no problem with it at all, but this is a touchy thing and before i promise anything ill have to contact the ATF. I now have access to a CNC machine so I could do an even more proffesional job. Please contact me at wr250frider@gmail.com and I'll give you my phone #. I can make every part for you except the reciever as that's what the ATF considers the weapon, but I can sent you a 80% done reciever with all the hole center punched, and all you need to do is drill the holes.

image-306289784.jpg

The mags are 32 round Uzi mags

image-675055162.jpg

This was electro etched (salt water) then cleaned up with my graver. That's why u see all the pitting

image-1526263881.jpg

This is raised instead of sunk, I used a micro dremel to remove material.

image-310278630.jpg

Here's some more practice engraving inlaid with fake gold (a euphamism for spray painted then sanded : D)

Complete schematic hand drawn page one

image-937508147.jpg

Page 2

image-1168499243.jpg

Bottom view without rear grip those bolts attaché the lower reciever to the upper and holds the rail in place

image-1983990377.jpg

Without grips

image-3907141999.jpg

View of the trigger mec

image-3084385858.jpg

Mec

image-2978029630.jpg rear plate with my signature engraved

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  16. dystopian-gunsmith

Here's those drawings Trip

image-2015728105.jpg

The one on the right would wrap around the cylinder on the flat part before the fullets, or those grooves. The other one would be repeated between each fullet

Attached Files:

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

Dude, that is awesome. I just threw you an idea of a non fluted cylinder in a pm, but scratch that idea, I like yours better!

18. dystopian-gunsmith

Rear part of the gun

Attached Files:

19. Sarge22

Sarge22 New Member

Got promise, kid. Maybe you'll be the next Sam Colt.

20. dystopian-gunsmith

That, in my opinion, is the highest of compliments! Thanks man!