My first custom 1911 by myself!

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by 45touch, Jul 14, 2013.

1. 45touch

45touch New Member

I enjoyed every minute. And the final package is better than I envisioned. I wanted a dark 1911 pistol.

Base:
    Springfield 1911-A1

Mods:
    Meprolight night sights
    John Harris hammer, disconnect and sear
    Kimber magazines
    Ed Brown trigger
    Wilson Combat back safety, main spring housing (complete), hammer pin
    Strike grip panels and screws
    Wolf sear spring

Attached Files:

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Very Nice.
    How's the function? Good reliable build?

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Looks good. How's she shoot now?

4. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Nice build list and great looking gun!!
    Even as a Kimber owner I'm not a fan of their mags! If problems should arise, give Wilson Combat mags a go. They've run flawless for me, Kimber mag(brand new) has not!!

Either way, great build!!! Can't wait to hear how she runs!!!' :cool:

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Good looking piece!

6. BUCSFAN99

BUCSFAN99 New Member

The plain Kimber stock magazines aren't the best for sure. But not all Kimber mags suck. the Kimber TacPro mags are pretty nice and that's what I use in mine every day. I personally haven't used the Wilson 47D mags but most folks sat they are the best mags hands down. I'm going to order a couple to see what all the craze is about.

Very nice build and congrats!

7. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Nice looking gun. I went all black with mine also, but ended up adding some fancy grips.

IMG_0202_resized.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  8. 45touch

45touch New Member

Still getting used to the new sights, but the operation is definitely much smoother than before!

9. 45touch

45touch New Member

Very smooth. Sights are higher so still getting used.

10. 45touch

45touch New Member

Yes, the Kimber mags that come with the pistols are different than what you can buy spare, which are better. That is why I chose those. I will certainly get some Wilson and some Sig.

11. 45touch

45touch New Member

Thanks. I got TacPro and they are nice, but Sigs are better finished. I will get some Wilson. I am impressed so far with everything I got from them.

12. 45touch

45touch New Member

Really nice piece! I decided to get Strike at the end due to lack of funds :) but they are very decent.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

Nice gun. You forgot to make the trigger black! It kinda sticks out like a sore thumb!

14. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

I own a few 1911's and ALL the triggers are silver. I can see why he did away with the black trigger. They are ugly!!

15. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I think the one I have is a TacPro.. I'll have to dig out the packaging.. Hmm

Either way, your pistol looks great!!!

16. dlh2689

dlh2689 New Member

Your 1911 came out looking good. I like the silver trigger a lot better than I would a black one. Personally I've never had an issue with the Kimber mags that I own.

17. Max-Q

Max-Q New Member

I've got a Wilson mag that's never worked in any of my 1911's. Not sure if I got a bad one or not but it won't work in 4 different Kimbers and an Ed Brown.

My hands down favorite mags are from Ed Brown. I'd like to get my hands on a few more of them.

18. 45touch

45touch New Member

I honesty could not find any black triggers that were really nice. I wish Ed brown had black anodized aluminum triggers. But the barrel is still stainless, so when the gun is shooting or open, there is a nice visual impact.

19. 45touch

45touch New Member

Yes, that WAS the main reason! The black triggers are ugly and looked wimpy. The original was black and sucked big time.

20. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

Looks like a great build, I went with an od green duracoat on the slide, trigger, etc

ForumRunner_20130727_143306.jpg