Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 55 and have mostly only shot shotguns, bolt action rifles, and pistols. I no longer hunt and have migrated away from rifles. I do skeet or clays and after 1 box of 12G I have had enough. I own 9mm and .22 pistols. I probably only shoot 4 times a year. It’s just a hobby more than a life style. With all that is happening I am getting my wife a pistol which I will discuss under pistol blogs.

I am wanting my first carbine. Want 9mm due to ammo price and standardization. I don’t care for all the gadgets but do want to add a light. I just want a decent rifle at lower cost point $400, that I can sell in future fir $250 if I want to upgrade later. It’s to be used for home self defense. I am not a weekend warrior, rather want a grab and shoot gun I can have some 30 round clips, etc.

I like to watch Honest Outlaw and he included the Highpoint 995 as a good gun for $300? Anyone have other input?

·
Proud to be an American
3,719 Posts
Extar EP 9 I have one of these and it's fun to shoot uses Glock magazines (33 rd. fun-stick).
Check out Honest Out law's review on it he bought one.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Look at the Ruger carbine; it is a bit over $400 but it is a quality gun for the money.

·
Premium Member
14,475 Posts
The braced 9mm pistols are in limbo right now so I would avoid them until things get settled. The Extar has had some great reviews but may need a $200 tax stamp if the ATF does not back down.
The Ruger PC9 is an excellent carbine but heavy and $600+.
The HiPoints are $300-400 but the mag is 10 rounds in 9mm. They do have a 20 round aftermarket available that looks fragile. They do have a good reputation.
I have a Keltec Sub 2000 gen 2 in 9mm that takes Glock mags. Glock style mags are fairly cheap. I paid $400 but now I have seen some for $500 and up. $500 or less would be a decent price new. You did not mention what your pistol is but they come in several different mag styles. The Sub 2k needs to be broken in with 200 rounds of heavy for caliber. I used 147 grain 9mm. After that it will shoot anything. Mine has not malfunctioned since the 2nd mag. Rail space top and bottom to mount a light and red dot. It weighs 4.25 lbs and folds in half.
AR style carbines are available but it will be more than $400.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
The braced 9mm pistols are in limbo right now so I would avoid them until things get settled. The Extar has had some great reviews but may need a $200 tax stamp if the ATF does not back down.
The Ruger PC9 is an excellent carbine but heavy and $600+.
The HiPoints are $300-400 but the mag is 10 rounds in 9mm. They do have a 20 round aftermarket available that looks fragile. They do have a good reputation.
I have a Keltec Sub 2000 gen 2 in 9mm that takes Glock mags. Glock style mags are fairly cheap. I paid $400 but now I have seen some for $500 and up. $500 or less would be a decent price new. You did not mention what your pistol is but they come in several different mag styles. The Sub 2k needs to be broken in with 200 rounds of heavy for caliber. I used 147 grain 9mm. After that it will shoot anything. Mine has not malfunctioned since the 2nd mag. Rail space top and bottom to mount a light and red dot. It weighs 4.25 lbs and folds in half.
AR style carbines are available but it will be more than $400.
I threw a couple hundred into my sub2000 from MCarbo. New trigger, springs, buffer, sights, etc. Was much more pleasant to shoot after that. I didn't experience any need for breakin.
Mine was a gen2.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
The Hi Point carbine is a great gun, just ugly as sin. But, They are very reliable.
I have a Kel-Tec Sub 2k and a Ruger PC carbine in 40 S&W.
The Sub 2k is a great gun, but IMO, you really need to do a bunch of upgrades to it for it to be a reliable gun. I probably have double the price of the gun in mine with all the upgrades that I did to it. If I ever tried to sell it, I'd lose a bunch of money.
The Ruger PC carbine is also a great gun, but the factory trigger sucks. I put a Volquartsen trigger assembly in mine, and now have a great trigger with a 2.5 lb pull. The Ruger is also a pretty heavy and long gun.

·
Premium Member
14,475 Posts
My Sub 2k has no mods and is reliable. Flashlight on the bottom is all it is carrying.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
I am 55 and have mostly only shot shotguns, bolt action rifles, and pistols. I no longer hunt and have migrated away from rifles. I do skeet or clays and after 1 box of 12G I have had enough. I own 9mm and .22 pistols. I probably only shoot 4 times a year. It’s just a hobby more than a life style. With all that is happening I am getting my wife a pistol which I will discuss under pistol blogs.

I am wanting my first carbine. Want 9mm due to ammo price and standardization. I don’t care for all the gadgets but do want to add a light. I just want a decent rifle at lower cost point $400, that I can sell in future fir $250 if I want to upgrade later. It’s to be used for home self defense. I am not a weekend warrior, rather want a grab and shoot gun I can have some 30 round clips, etc.

I like to watch Honest Outlaw and he included the Highpoint 995 as a good gun for $300? Anyone have other input?
Wife and I each have a HiPoint 995ts. Never even one problem with either. After a few thousand rounds.
Recommend highly!

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Hi Point 995 is what I have and recommend. Just run about 500 rounds through it to break it in, take it apart (which is a job) so you'll know how then just flush it out with GT85 now and then for cleaning. That's all that's required and when finished doing that, it's cleaned and lubed. The gun will eat any kind of ammo. If barrel cleaning is important to you, run a snake through it. A 9mm carbine is a short range gun with definite limitations. Because of that, if anyone wanted to buy mine I would sell it. It just has a very narrow niche in the gun world IMO. I definitely would not spend much money for one. Hi Points have gone up to ridiculous prices. I bought mine for $230 and I see them on GB with starting bids of $400. No 9mm carbine is worth that. Again, FWIW.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The 9mm Carbines are interesting.
I would put them in the PDW Class ( personal Defensive Weapon) rather than a true Carbine in the modern sense of the term (which is a short or shortish rifle).

A 9mm Carbine will be a superior tool for home defense compared to a handgun.
It also helps you Squeeze maximum performance out of any pre existing stash of 9mm Ammo.

Keep in mind though, when compared to a proper Carbine in the more strict modern meaning of the term (say an AR15 with a 14.5 inch or 16 barrel or equivalent AK) you will be greatly outclassed by opponents wielding such weapons in shootouts that involve ranges greater than 30 yards.

·
Premium Member
14,475 Posts
The AR style 9mm pistols are still pistols. A lot of them only have 4" barrels. No better performance than a Glock 17. Install a G17 or similar pistol in a Microroni for $200 and you have a braced pistol. They are easy to install and remove. With the current ATF attitude I would stay away from braces.
A carbine has a 16" or longer barrel or it is an SBR. Calling the braced pistols carbines is causing the current ATF problem. To many videos showing them being used as SBRs. Same with the Shockwave. Those will be next on the hit list.

Reactions: Oldoutlaw

·
Registered
42 Posts
The AR style 9mm pistols are still pistols. A lot of them only have 4" barrels. No better performance than a Glock 17. Install a G17 or similar pistol in a Microroni for $200 and you have a braced pistol….
I’ve seen reviews of accuracy issues because the sights or red dot sit on the Roni frame, instead of directly on the handgun slide.
In any case, one can find/build an AR9 with a 8”-10” barrel, which imho would be ideal.

·
Premium Member
14,475 Posts
The Extar is made in the town I live in and they wont sell direct. I watched their videos and I have a rant. Stop calling them carbines. They are braced pistols. Too many videos out there calling them carbines and using them as an SBR. Do you think the ATF is ignorant of these videos? The Shockwave shotguns will be next on the ban list. People are posting videos of them with braces and being used as an SBS. The ATF is watching.

Reactions: j102 and Oldoutlaw
1 - 20 of 42 Posts