My first build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jordan89, Apr 21, 2012.

1. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Well I have been wanting to build an AR for awhile now but something always comes up that stops me from doing so. So I've decided that im going to buy and build little by little.

Here is what I got so far
    A PSA stripped lower.

ForumRunner_20120421_124752.jpg

I'm excited to get this started...even though it might be awhile.

I'm going to post updates/questions here. I am going to try my best to utilize the search feature but please forgive me if I ask questions that's already been answered.

I have read thru a few threads on building an AR but I am open to advice and suggestions....after all I haven't decided on a upper or a parts kit to complete my lower yet.

2. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

You'll find a lot of good information in the stickies up top. They can help you actually build an entire lower. We also have a ton of threads on builds on this section, which go into great detail and debate on good and bad parts to order, as well as company reputations. You'll learn soon enough who the guru's are, and the wannabe guru's. Biggest thing is to take your time and do it right.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Cool...you're off to a good start. Have fun!

4. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

Nice lower, same one as me :D Good luck, and yeah definitely read the stickies

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Hey you get those mags yet ?

6. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Lots of great info in the stickies! I'm shopping around for LPKs and stuff. Sooo much to choose from!

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Wow its really hard to believe they have moved 12000 lowers since december , one of mine is in the 10,000 series and the other in the 11,000 series , your in the 22,000 series , no wonder its taking forever to get stuff . LOL :D

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Nice looking lower! And a good start.

Assuming they're in stock you might as well stick with PSA for the LPK and RE/stock kit. Hard to beat prices. I recently got their milspec RE kit with everything but the sliding stock for $40 and it was good quality for a great price. Their LPKs are a bargain as well. Of course we don't know what direction you want to go so just a suggestion for a common path that won't break the bank. Anyway, something to do now until you figure out the upper.

9. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I was looking at the PSA LPKs...I also looked at RRA, daniel defense, and I saw a MOE kit that also came with the buffer tube and stock. Just still trying to learn what companies are good quality and what to stay away from. I might just go ahead and order the PSA kit if you think that's my best option.

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

RRA, DD and PSA all good choices, would be hard to go wrong with any of those. DD does have a reputation for a smooth Mil-Spec trigger...YMMV.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well there are lots of options so be sure. For plain jane milspec in the trigger and RE it's hard to beat PSA for the money. The MOE kit wouldn't be a bad way to go either, good price.

I should make it clear I haven't tried a PSA LPK but lots of guys here have and I've heard no complaints. The PSA RE, buffer, spring, end plate, castle nut in the kit I recently got were very good, almost as good as a couple BCM kits I have.

Of the LPKs I have bought, the two Daniel Defense kits were the best with Stag very close. Good triggers in each.

12. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I bought the PSA LPK for $139.99 with the stock, buffer tube and all all the rest needed to finish the lower, and am quite happy with it. Crisp trigger and never hiccups.

13. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

14. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

That is it. And, like everything else, it, too, has gone up in price.

15. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Best of luck with your build! I also would like to build my own AR one day. I'll definitely will be following this thread with interest

16. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Are the PSA uppers made with the same quality as their lowers?

Sorry if this is redundant. I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Still reading and looking around. Just wanted to ask.

17. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

The only negative things I've heard about the PSA uppers, and I don't own one, so this is second hand information, is simply that their taper pins in the front sight gas block are brutal to get out, which is what I hear about the ones for BCM as well, so that's about even, but I've heard they over-torque to 90 lbs instead of the recommended 75, which means you better let a pro deal with that, or you can crack it and screw your upper up.

18. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Gotcha, i'll make sure I remember to be careful with that if I choose a PSA upper.

19. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Truthfully, I'd just order it with a low profile gas block and add a set of iron sights to it. That way you can put pretty much any rail set up you want on it.

20. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Along side the PSA upper I've also been eye balling this.
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=259

I like the one pictured. I'd upgrade to the low profile sight for the extra $15.

I've also been trying to find a nice upper with a flat top...to compare.

I need to go around and try to see some different things in person so I can get a better idea what I actually want.

So far I only know what I don't like and that would be the higher profile carry handle ...
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=280

Just rambling here...