My first build is complete... but...

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JeffCooper, Oct 13, 2011.

1. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

...I jacked something up.

In the butt stock there is the buffer and spring. It's held in there with a little spring and a doohickey on-top that keeps that big spring from flying out when I take her down. However, every time I play with it (cocking, "locking", etc...) I pull the take down pin and that buffer is loose and the spring and "cap" are rattling around inside. Something isn't right.

What did I miss? Isn't that supposed to stay put?

Is there some kind of keeper I missed? Help!
    jc

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Sounds like you don't have the receiver extension threaded in far enough allowing the spring and retainer to work their way out.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

^ what he said. The buffer retainer detent should sit under the leading edge of the extension tube when screwed into the lower receiver. Remove the stock and tighten the tube while depressing the detent down into the lower, a credit card or other flat, sturdy object is helpful here. Reinsert the buffer and spring, the detent should hold it in place and should now be "trapped" under the extension tube.

Be sure to keep track of the take down pin detent and spring when you loosen the stock, those suckers have a habit of disappearing when you're not watching...Assemble an AR15 lower | AR15 How To

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah MJ and Jplyle are right, it sounds like the receiver extension needs tightened one more turn to capture the retainer.

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Way to come through w/ some awesome pictures. Those should definately help.

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Thanks...wish I could claim them as my own but the real credit goes to the author of the site I linked to. A very well illustrated, user-friendly how-to.

7. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

I owe ya all a beer. Took me about 30 seconds to land "Stitch" on my vice-block and crank down the buffer tube exactly one more turn. Everything it perfect now and I'm ready to send some lead down-range!

Thanks guys!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  8. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

By the way - I googled "Karen "Bullseye" Smith"

Great video clip. I wish there was some audio, but I bet that hurt like nobody's business!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011