My first AR what should I get ???

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by RustyGrill, Jan 21, 2013.

1. RustyGrill

RustyGrill New Member

I can't find an AR for anything !!! But when I do come across one what should I get ?? Brand ? Caliber ? I have no clue

2. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Hard to get ammo if its a .223 right now. I'd sit on it awhile and wait this frenzy out. Lots of guys on here have it figured out on the good AR's from what I've read. You might read thru some of their post for some good direction Rustygrill. Just my 2 cents on it. ;)

3. RustyGrill

RustyGrill New Member

Yeah I will probably take your advice and hold off. But I think I do want a .223

Thank your KimberFan

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It's a great time to sell right now. But it's a horrible time to buy. I'd wait.

5. Quadzy

Quadzy New Member

Don't buy if you can help it. I wouldn't sell my two for less than 5k and neither are worth more than 1500 each right now. GL

6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Bushmaster is what I would do, due to low cost.

7. RustyGrill

RustyGrill New Member

Yeah your right I should probably let things cool down first

8. RustyGrill

RustyGrill New Member

Yeah I think your right, are you speaking of AR's only. I think hand guns are ok to buy still right ?

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Seeing that you posted this in the Concealed Carry section, I am more interested in how you plan to conceal the dern thing.

Normally, this type of question is posted in the AR section.

10. kyleytxrialover

kyleytxrialover New Member

Always get a .556 it will shoot .223 also but not the other way around

11. ScottA

I've bought 3 guns in the last month. (It's been a good month :) )

The two pistols I've purchased were pretty close to prices before the madness. The shotgun was probably $50 to $100 higher.

12. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Get a 5.56. They can shoot .223 also. But a .223 can not shoot 5.56.

13. RustyGrill

RustyGrill New Member

Really it shots both ??? With conversion or just stock

14. RustyGrill

RustyGrill New Member

What did you get ??? Pictures ?? Information ?? lol

15. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Not sure here, because I'm a pistol man, but it sounds like one of those 38sp/357mag things, where same gun, conversionless, can shoot both rounds because they're technically the same size/caliber just different performance levels. Or something like that. Do a Google search I'm sure it will turn up something on it. I'll try and do a little research on it as well...

So it seems as tho the 223 I'd slightly smaller in diameter but Chambers in ARs chambered for 5.56"... I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in rifles can help elucidate.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I thought the difference was weight of bullet and twist of barrel.

17. ScottA

5.56 is higher pressure than .223. They are effectively the same size, just different power.

18. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Yes it shoots both. No conversion needed. You can even use the same mags. Just load and shoot. The 5.56 is more of a military round. It is what our military uses. So most of the time it is hotter than a .223. There for you can use .223 in a 5.56. But you can not use 5.56 in a gun chambered for .223. The guns chambered in .223 are not rated for the higher presser generated by the 5.56.

Some people will argue this and say you can use the 5.56 in the .223. But I'm not going to take a chance. Just about all quality AR's are 5.56 anyway. Just look on the barrel. If it says 5.56, 5.56 NATO or 5.56/.223 you are good for both.

19. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

And yes there is a slight difference in the size. But not enuf to effect anything when using .223 in a 5.56. But it will have an effect if using a 5.56 in a .223.

20. RustyGrill

RustyGrill New Member

Ibwar15 thanks !!! Do you have any brand recommendations ? I don't wanna break the bank but I don't want a cheap one either