Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find an AR for anything !!! But when I do come across one what should I get ?? Brand ? Caliber ? I have no clue
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Hard to get ammo if its a .223 right now. I'd sit on it awhile and wait this frenzy out. Lots of guys on here have it figured out on the good AR's from what I've read. You might read thru some of their post for some good direction Rustygrill. Just my 2 cents on it. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I will probably take your advice and hold off. But I think I do want a .223

Thank your KimberFan
 

·
FAA licensed bugsmasher
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
It's a great time to sell right now. But it's a horrible time to buy. I'd wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Don't buy if you can help it. I wouldn't sell my two for less than 5k and neither are worth more than 1500 each right now. GL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KimberFan said:
Hard to get ammo if its a .223 right now. I'd sit on it awhile and wait this frenzy out. Lots of guys on here have it figured out on the good AR's from what I've read. You might read thru some of their post for some good direction Rustygrill. Just my 2 cents on it. ;)
Yeah your right I should probably let things cool down first
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ScottA said:
It's a great time to sell right now. But it's a horrible time to buy. I'd wait.
Yeah I think your right, are you speaking of AR's only. I think hand guns are ok to buy still right ?
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
13,590 Posts
Seeing that you posted this in the Concealed Carry section, I am more interested in how you plan to conceal the dern thing.

Normally, this type of question is posted in the AR section.
 

·
FAA licensed bugsmasher
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
Yeah I think your right, are you speaking of AR's only. I think hand guns are ok to buy still right ?
I've bought 3 guns in the last month. (It's been a good month :) )

The two pistols I've purchased were pretty close to prices before the madness. The shotgun was probably $50 to $100 higher.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
RustyGrill said:
Yeah I will probably take your advice and hold off. But I think I do want a .223

Thank your KimberFan
Get a 5.56. They can shoot .223 also. But a .223 can not shoot 5.56.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ScottA said:
I've bought 3 guns in the last month. (It's been a good month :) )

The two pistols I've purchased were pretty close to prices before the madness. The shotgun was probably $50 to $100 higher.
What did you get ??? Pictures ?? Information ?? lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,627 Posts
Really it shots both ??? With conversion or just stock
Not sure here, because I'm a pistol man, but it sounds like one of those 38sp/357mag things, where same gun, conversionless, can shoot both rounds because they're technically the same size/caliber just different performance levels. Or something like that. Do a Google search I'm sure it will turn up something on it. I'll try and do a little research on it as well...

So it seems as tho the 223 I'd slightly smaller in diameter but Chambers in ARs chambered for 5.56"... I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in rifles can help elucidate.
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
13,590 Posts
I thought the difference was weight of bullet and twist of barrel.
 

·
FAA licensed bugsmasher
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
Really it shots both ??? With conversion or just stock
5.56 is higher pressure than .223. They are effectively the same size, just different power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
RustyGrill said:
Really it shots both ??? With conversion or just stock
Yes it shoots both. No conversion needed. You can even use the same mags. Just load and shoot. The 5.56 is more of a military round. It is what our military uses. So most of the time it is hotter than a .223. There for you can use .223 in a 5.56. But you can not use 5.56 in a gun chambered for .223. The guns chambered in .223 are not rated for the higher presser generated by the 5.56.

Some people will argue this and say you can use the 5.56 in the .223. But I'm not going to take a chance. Just about all quality AR's are 5.56 anyway. Just look on the barrel. If it says 5.56, 5.56 NATO or 5.56/.223 you are good for both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
BeyondTheBox said:
Not sure here, because I'm a pistol man, but it sounds like one of those 38sp/357mag things, where same gun, conversionless, can shoot both rounds because they're technically the same size/caliber just different performance levels. Or something like that. Do a Google search I'm sure it will turn up something on it. I'll try and do a little research on it as well...

So it seems as tho the 223 I'd slightly smaller in diameter but Chambers in ARs chambered for 5.56"... I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in rifles can help elucidate.
And yes there is a slight difference in the size. But not enuf to effect anything when using .223 in a 5.56. But it will have an effect if using a 5.56 in a .223.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lbwar15 said:
Yes it shoots both. No conversion needed. You can even use the same mags. Just load and shoot. The 5.56 is more of a military round. It is what our military uses. So most of the time it is hotter than a .223. There for you can use .223 in a 5.56. But you can not use 5.56 in a gun chambered for .223. The guns chambered in .223 are not rated for the higher presser generated by the 5.56.

Some people will argue this and say you can use the 5.56 in the .223. But I'm not going to take a chance. Just about all quality AR's are 5.56 anyway. Just look on the barrel. If it says 5.56, 5.56 NATO or 5.56/.223 you are good for both.
Ibwar15 thanks !!! Do you have any brand recommendations ? I don't wanna break the bank but I don't want a cheap one either
 
1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Top