My first AR need a little help

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jonwulf, Jun 19, 2013.

1. jonwulf

jonwulf New Member

hello I'm a first time AR buyer and not really sure which to consider. I have a price range at around $1000 and I plan on hunting coyote with it. it would be nice to reach out at max 250 yards with a high power scope and maybe laser genetics to hunt at night. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

2. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I would consider the S&W M&P 15, a Rock River Arms, and Doublestar. They are all within your price range, and are solid performers. There was a sticky somewhere on this forum a while back that rated the more well known names. Not sure where it is, or the author.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Hi a standard 16" or 14.5" will easily get you to 300 yards and more. 250 is nothing for a good AR. I would rethink your scope choice as finding your sight picture is difficult with high powered optics. A lower power with generous field of view will get you on target faster. Maybe a 1-4, 1-6, 2-7, or 3-9 at the most.

I would start by figuring out what kind of ammo I will be using primarily and then building around that.

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I say build your own lower , and purchase a complete upper .its not hard to build the lower , the upper just pins to it with 2 pins . Pretty simple rifle really and you can save yourself about $200 and you will know how it all the parts works that way . Go to PSA and take a look I will build you a list of the basic AR

Parts list , some of this is out of stock " The stripped Lower everything else was in stock at this time " but their stuff comes in stock daily so keep your eyes peeled

Lower $99 http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...to-state-armory-blemished-lower-receiver.html

Lower build kit $199 w/ BCG 158 C bolt http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...wer-build-kit-m16-and-bolt-carrier-group.html

Hammer forged upper $449 daily deal only so act fast :D http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...tripped-railed-blem-upper-ready-for-duty.html

Charging Handle $20 http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ng-handles/ar15-m16-charging-handle-6578.html

Less than $800 to your door and you will have one hell of a nice rifle right there . That will save you some money for optics and ammo . It has the MI hand guard which is a quality piece that usually costs $189 by its self . Have fun !!!!!!!! Everything was in stock except the lower and they come and go daily .

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  5. jonwulf

jonwulf New Member

Thank you for the posts and help I'm not sure if I trust myself building a lower but I was looking at stag arms. How do you guys feels about those?

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Hey its very simple to do , you cant put the wrong piece in the wrong hole , its really self explanatory. :) Im 100% sure I could walk you thru it in about 20 minutes

7. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Stags an awsome company. Ive had a 16in upper for 2years now and its run with no problems. There 18in upper is also a really nice buy. Thats if you can find it. Stick with a mid lenght gas system. I have a car and a mid and the mid shoots alittle nicer. No over gasing or problems.

8. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

I just built a 300 Blackout off of a Stag stripped lower. Everything fit together nice and tight, just how you want it. I highly recommend Stag parts.

image-3949491596.jpg

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I built one using a Stag stripped lower and its a damn tight fit with the PSA upper , it has no gap and does not fit loose like some the lowers I have used in the past ,

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

11. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Holly hell to bad i live in ct. Damn cheap

12. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Jon, the above Palemetto is a very good deal. The aimpoint pro is 350. on the average. Although Stags make great rifles also. Personally I feel the Aimpoint is better suited for closer range than the 250 yards you are wanting. Get what you want and don't be hasty.
    I use this for Varmint hunting with friends in the winter.
    [​IMG]

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Very true on the close range of the aimpoint but I have not seen one sell under $389 ever without some big discount , anyway sell the red dot and put on a decent scope , where else are you going to get a mil spec quality rifle for $600 right now ?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  14. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Then you dont want to hear what I paid for an Eotech 517 then! :eek: ;)

And you could keep tyhe aimpoint pro, and get a QD mount that holds its zero, and use an optic scope for hunting, and the red dot for d-dhtf scenarios and home protection:
    [​IMG]

15. jonwulf

jonwulf New Member

You guys are really helping me out and im looking in to building my own, because I fell that if I did build my own I would have a better knowing of the in and outs of the weapon.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  16. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

S&W MP 5.56/223 sport. around $800 in this market.
    Very accurate and dependable. comes with magpul 30rd mag. I added the light and scope. I changed out the forward hand grip from AB Arms

IMG_0256_resized.jpg