My first AR build.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by texaswoodworker, May 26, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Well, I was going to wait until I actually had the stripped receiver to start this thread, but I'm having a hard time finding one for the price I was wanting it to be at, so I'll just go ahead and announce my first build. :D

Here's the basic plan for the build.

BCM BFH 16" mid length upper receiver group.
    BCM bolt carrier group (auto)
    BCM Milspec height carry handle sight.
    BCM Gunfighter charging handle (large latch)

Magpul MOE stock, hand guard, and pistol grip. (dark earth)

Spike's Tactical, stripped lower
    RRA Single stage trigger and lower parts kit
    Magpul PMAG 30 rd magazine

Thanks to a very good friend, I already have some of this (the hand guard and the parts kit), and I'm slowly working on the rest. I just ordered a couple magazines, so the next thing I get will be the stripped lower.

Does anyone know where I could find a spikes stripped lower? ALL of the places that had them for about $80-$100 are completely out, and most of them do not know when they'll get more. All I can find them for is $120 plus shipping. I don't mind paying that for one, but I'd still like to get it as cheap as I can.

Also, if anyone is looking for a great deal on magazines right now, check out Botach Tactical. They have Magpul Pmags for $14.98 with no tax and FREE shipping. If you use the coupon code slickmag, you will also get an extra 20% off. :D

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Standard PSA lower is $79.95 plus shipping & FFL fee. They are really good lowers, I bought a pair when they were on sale for $49.95 last year.

I understand the fascination with roll marks though.

3. texaswoodworker

I may go with the PSA instead then. They were one of the choices I had looked at, but that was a while back. The roll mark is not whats important to me, it's the quality of the receiver itself. Plus, I kind of like the PSA roll mark too. :D

Thanks.

4. DavidB

DavidB New Member

I was at spikes in apopka on Tuesday. They had 10 stripped lowers on the shelf for $100. Might already be sold out but you should try calling them.

5. texaswoodworker

Thanks, I may have to look into those.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  6. texaswoodworker

WTH? I was looking on PSA's site, and it says you have to be 21 to buy a stripped lower? :confused: It said I can buy a rifle, but not a stripped lower.

quick question, is that just their policy, or an actual law? I can legally buy a rifle from anywhere, and I think I could go out an buy a stripped lower right now if there were any locally.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  7. texaswoodworker

Damn it, apparently, since an AR lower can either be made into rifle or a pistol, they decided to just call it a pistol and set the age at 21 :mad: The same argument could easily be made for any other receiver. I'm pretty sure you could take a Remington Model 700 receiver, put a 10" barrel on it, and have a special stock made for it so that it somewhat resembles a T/C Encore pistol.

Well, that just made it more difficult to get one legally.

8. havegunswilltravel

havegunswilltravel New Member

Hit a gun show. Maybe a vendor there won't consider it a pistol.

9. texaswoodworker

It doesn't matter if the vendor considers it to be a pistol, it's what the feds consider it to be. :(

I can get one if it is through a private sell though.

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I've bought five stripped lowers and the designation on the form each time was other, not pistol or rifle. I don't know if you have to be 21 for "other" or if you can find a vendor who'll enter rifle, but maybe so if you buy the upper from them at the same time. You might check with BCM and G&R tactical and see if you can get BCM that way.

11. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I believe it has to be entered as other...and you have to be 21:(

12. texaswoodworker

That's what the liberals decided. :(

Well, there are still two ways I can get one. I can either find one and get it through a private sell, or I can receive one as a gift.

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Yeah sorry then looks like ur gonna have to get a complete one.

It's not so bad man, srsly the selection you can choose from is pretty vast. I think you can buy co
    Complete lowers from some sources.

PSA has lots of choices to choose from, BCM DD Spikes also!

14. texaswoodworker

I already have some of the parts, so I really don't want to buy a complete one. They way I see it, I can do one of two things and still legally get it. I can either find one around here and buy it privately, or I can wait a few months until my B-day and get it as a gift (or before then if possible).
    I think a complete lower still falls under this law. If not, I could just buy one, swap out the parts, and sell the parts that came with it.

15. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Check out gunbroker.com

16. havegunswilltravel

I just bought 2 stripped lowers and they asked me what my intent was. I told em to build a rifle so they marked it as rifle and I walked out with em.

17. buffalolake

buffalolake New Member

I have run into this a few times. I live in Oklahoma, but I'm working in Texas. I've tried to buy stripped lowers out of state a couple of times. Even if the gun dealer agrees to sell it to you, the background check will kick it out. I've also ran into this trying to buy a pistol grip shotgun out of state.

18. havegunswilltravel

Bought my lowers in Ohio live in MN

19. buffalolake

buffalolake New Member

I've tried at two different dealers down here. The second time the background check guy told the gun dealer that he absolutely could not sell me a stripped or complete lower, only complete rifles. And at the San Antonio gun show it was clearly posted that lowers could be sold to Texas residents only. I have no problems buying a lower in Oklahoma, when you can find them.

20. texaswoodworker

Well, I finally got one. I ended up getting the PSA. :D I also picked up a couple of magazines, so I guess the stock's next.