My first AR build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by 2hot2handle, Sep 18, 2009.

1. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Hey y'all, every one else posts about their new babys on here and I felt left out. This was my first AR-15 build, I had a set budget and needed to stay under it. These days I don't think many can afford to splurge. My goal was a good solid AR that goes bang and gets "minute of bad guy". I don't have any pics yet but I wanted to list what parts I put on there and see what you guys thought, I really respect the opinions of the men and women on here. In the future I plan on adding better parts as I come by the money until I get her as good as I can. If you feel like mentioning some parts that you feel should be the on the top of the list as far as upgrades let me know.

lower half
    Stag Arms stripped lower reciever
    DPMS lpk
    tapco six position stock

my upper is a 16in, 1/9 twist, chrome lined barrel, A3, with an A2 flash on the end. I got it with a standard BCG and handle. This portion of the upper was from Del-ton inc. I researched them and they seemed to have a fine reputation, I am still waiting on this upper half to arrive, hopefully by the end of the month.

I got a detachable carry handle build by UTG? from cheaper than dirt. Had a higher majority of good ratings than bad and the budget was about out :p

all told this whole thing has cost me about $830 after tax and shipping. Let me know what you think, I don't mind you telling me what I did wrong or what I should have bought but just be nice about it folks thanks for any input in advance:D

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

2Hot,It looks like you did your homework and will have a fine rifle when your upper arrives. I think you will be happy with your setup,just lube the BCG,and check the bolts on it and make sure they have been staked proper before firing. Also,don't get upset if you have a few FTF,FTE,FTL,or other problems when you fire it while breaking things in. Sometimes it just takes a little range time for everything to start working without a few problems when you mate different components together.

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Got any pics of said build? Like Tx said, sounds like you did your homework.

Congratulations, now go lose that thing in a boating accident. :p

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

2Hot - You have a nice assembly there. A couple of thoughts for you to consider. That Tapco stock is going to need to be staked in place. I have one on one of my rifles and the nut just didn't want to stay put, even when tightened with a carbine wrench good and solid.

Nothing wrong with Del-Ton. In this day and age, with the advances in CNC and other processes, most of the receivers are pretty much the same. The only real difference is when you buy a completely milled upper and lower from one block of solid stock. Some of the custom houses do that.

The key in the fit is when you slap the upper and lower together. The lines should match and there shouldn't be any lit seen between the upper and lower when backlit and you are looking at the profile.

Having a slight gap is rare these days, but it does happen. That doesn't mean the gun won't shoot.

IF YOU HAVE A GAP: Using an Accu-Wedge ( and you watch, some part time Mall Ninja is going to stop by and tell you that the Accu-Wedge will get you killed ) will suck the upper down tight to the lower receiver and help compensate. They also take any play and rattle out of the upper, which is nice. :)

1:9 is good for the 55 grain and higher weight bullets, which is most of the battlefield stuff you would pick up, so that is a great choice.

One of the things I always recommend is that you consider changing that clamshell forend with a Free Float Tube from someone like YHM or other companies. It's pretty easy to change yourself, and adding a free float tube will improve accuracy, especially when the weapon is on a sling and you are really tied into it, shooting from a standing or cross-legged position.

I look forward to seeing some pictures and your first Range Report.

I have to warn you though, once you see how easy these things are to build and modify, they seem to multiply on you kind of quick. :eek:

JD

5. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Txhillbilly- I will be sure to try and keep my chin up if, more likely when, I get those FTF, FTE and FTL. I had to look up what staking the bolt meant but I understand now. Hopefully I won't have to, however it doesn't look too difficult.

dog2000tj- I will try and get some good pics up here soon. I am a little embarrased though cause like the total newb that I am I scratched my lower recieve in a couple places.:mad: Arghhhh. People kept wanting to know what the problem was when I let out a curse every time I scratched my new baby. I can't believe I didn't have to buy a parts replacement kit for my detents and springs, I probably spent half an hour all told looking on the floor for those things.:rolleyes: And my final failure was letting the hammer drop in my bolt release probably four times.ARHHHHHHHHHHHH:mad: oh well live and learn.

Dillinger- I saw how to stake the bolt screws but I can't comprehend how you would stake the stock. :confused: If you could tell me how or send me a link that would be amazing. I will have to wait for my upper to get in to see if I need an Accu-wedge or not. On the free float tube, how hard is it to install? I deffinently want one (thanks for showing me YHM, loved the prices) but it was one of the things I was waiting to buy. Christmas isn't too far away now is it...... I also wanted to ask you guys what type of sling you recommend, there seem like a plethera of choices and I am slightly confused. I am still rather new to shooting so any advice is welcome. Thanks for the replys keep em coming, I will try and post pics soon.

6. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Keep the advice coming if you have it guys. I accept all comments. execpt mean ones lol :p;):)

7. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

My EBR is now complete

Hey every one just got my upper from Del-ton inc.

Attached Files:

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Good looking stick. What is the goal for this unit? What is your end use scenario?

For me, I would dump that carry handle, mill that front ramp sight smooth, getting a new fore end that is free floated and a nice heads up sight like an Eotech. :D

You have a Range Report yet??

JD

9. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Right now it is just a plinker. But I figured that since the AR is so versitile I can change it to fill whatever roll I choose for it in the future and change it easily. I got the detachable handle so that when I get the $$ I can put an EOtech, AimPoint or what ever I please on there I just got that detachable handle so I would have SOMETHING so I could put some lead down range. I am looking at a YHM free float quad rail, have people had good experiences with them? No range report as of yet. However I hope to change that soon. I will post some pics when I do go.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  10. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Lol just read back over the thread and saw that you were the one that put me onto YHM in the first place. What about staking the BCG? I put a pic on there so if you could let me know if it need it I'd preciate it. Thanks

11. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

2hot,

Good looking piece you have there. it's kind of hard to tell by the pic of the BCG how well it is staked. a couple of the hits look to be decent, but looking at the pic, the one in the top right is hard to make out. it doesn't take too much of a hit to stake them. some folks like to really give them a whack, others will use a MOACKS tool to "stake them properly".

[​IMG]
    that's a pic of a BCG that has been staked using MOACKS

from what I can see, your's doesn't look too bad. like i said, the only one that catches my eye is the one in the top right. also, for a 4-railed handguard that won't break the bank, is pretty simple to install, and stays pretty solid, you might also look at Midwest Industries MI-20 rail. the one i bought ran $163 regular, but i found it on sale at $159. they come with all the hardware and a tube of lock-tite. you can go to the Midwest Industries site for how-to instructions, or...you could also go with their new one the T-10 superlightweight one-piece free float. Yankeehill machine also puts out some very nice handguards, too. only problem i've ever had with them...trying to find some in stock :p

YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. – Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors | Forearms

Midwest Industries Rail install and pictorial review - Weapon Evolution: Emerging AR15 & Small Arms Technologies

Slo

12. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Thanks slowryde. I really liked the instructions you sent. I will have to take a look at MI and see what they have to offer. I appreciate it.

13. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

no problem 2hot,

Keep in mind, if you go with the MI-20 from midwest, you will end up cutting off your delta nut, the spring, and the snap ring. so if you decide to go back to a stock setup, you'll have to replace those. not sure why anyone would want to, after putting on a free-float system, but you never know. you can find their products on a few different sites, a little cheaper than what they show on the midwest industries site.

i bought mine from these guys:
    Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | MI - 2 Piece Free Float and have done alot of business with them and highly recommend them.

another great site to buy from is:
    Bravo-co Free Floating Tactical Handguards they have the midwest and yankeehill handguards in stock and on sale right now

they also carry a wide assortment, up to some pretty top of the line stuff, too

Good luck.
    Slo ;)

14. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Hey slo, I know this is really noobish but I am still learning. I want the 7in carbine length quad rail right? Since I have a standard front sight? Thanks for the sources again. This is why I love this forum :D

15. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Well, that all depends on what you want it to look like. You could go with a longer forearm rail, but you'd have to change out your A2 front sight, and go with a low profile gas block, to fit under the rail. then you'd have to buy a bolt on front sight, usually will flip down to clear your optics. or...you could just go with the carbine length (7 inch quad rail) and leave everything the way it is. it's all up to how you want your gun to look and perform for you. ;)

Slo

16. outlawcustoms

outlawcustoms New Member

Nice work. you did your homework

17. peabody

peabody New Member

hey JD, not to argue::D

but i have an older AR, that is loose as a goose !!

can see a little daylight. :eek:......... but ? she shoots like gangbusters,
    the ''wiggle'' and play between uppers/lowers realy dont matter much'

its an older USGI A1 upper on a bushy lower' with a bill springfield trigger.
    its a frankengun, but i just love the bloody thing !!

just thoughts i'ed throw that out there, some guys are really picky about the play inbetween the upper n' lower halves, but i've found it really dont make much differance.

i kinda like em' loose. and im a retro kinda guy. reminds me of my old one back in 77'
    lol.

peabody