My first AK

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by jord1985, Jan 5, 2014.

1. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

Hey guys I was looking to add an AK to my collection. I was looking at either a saiga 762 vs traditional AK I know there's some differences as far as trigger and feed ramps with that aside are there any advantages/disadvantages to either one? Budget is around $500 I don't want anything tacticool or fancy just plain ol AK, I'd even prefer wood.

2. Mercator

Mercator New Member

The Saiga is 100% Kalashnikov factory, therefore pretty consistent. Like going to a McDonalds. The mil surp reassembles range widely in quality, like going to a family restaurant. Even within the same "brand" like WASR. Wood is not native to the Saiga but can be retrofitted. The Russian army is no longer supplied with plywood stocked AKs.

3. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

Thanks! I was looking for the clarification. I haven't seen any wood saigas I was wondering if there was a kit for them. I like the traditional look of an AK, besides I already have all the tacticool crap for my ARs. Do you have any idea how difficult or for that matter how easy it is to modify the feed ramps to accept regular AK mags? That would be my only other reservation

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  5. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

The MK accepts AK mags, but not sure if this weapon is available in USA. Or, even legal. :confused:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  6. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Not difficult. A kit would cost around roughly $100. There's a cottage industry now doing Saiga conversions.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I got an AK. BORING.

Safe Queen.

After you empty a few mags downrange,

the thrill is gone.

If all you are looking for is a meat and potatoes

7.62X39 AKM, hold out till you can get a good

price.

8. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

What would you consider a good price? And since you're bored with yours would you wanna part with it at a "good price"

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I wind up with the occasional shooter who just "has to"

try an AKM.

Price? There's about 30 million of them floating around today.

Prices fluctuate, and you never know what kind of deal you

are going to find, if you wait long enough, but if you

have all the answers you need, and are in a flying rush,

550$, given going market values at the moment.

If you are more patient, considerably less.

10. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

This isn't just buying one to "try out" i finished a couple of AR builds (until PSA runs another sale, they get me every time) and I'd like to diversify my collection. I also like the idea of having a semi rifle with more oomph than 5.56 without the novelty or price of 300blk or other AR platforms. WPA7.62x39 is going for about half of what xm855 is for 1000 rounds. $550inc tax was what I was quoted, I'm not in a rush though id like to get one before some jackwagon does something crazy and our politicians make another run to ban them which will either drive the price up or actually succeed the next time.

11. tlech29

tlech29 New Member

I boight my first saiga 4 years ago and I LOVE THIS GUN. mine is in 556 and eats ANYTHING... keep in mind what you are basically buying is the receiver , bolt , and barrel. The stock that comes with it is complete crap, almost toy like. You will need to buy new stocks and foregrips probably. I think this is how they are so cheap.... however used ones are going for 800 here in Ky at the gun stores.

12. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Get a Saiga. Russian made and reliable as all get out

13. dyslexic_llama

dyslexic_llama New Member

Right now the only things in your price range I can think of are Saiga's and Yugoslavian O-PAP's, but the O-PAP's are going away to make time for the N-PAP's to sell, the N-PAP's will probably hover around $500.

N-PAP's are good, but they are an underfolder style.

If you want to turn a Saiga into a fixed wood stock you can with Ironwood Designs, they make a set specifically for the Saiga rifles.
    IWD doesn't ship with hardware like a buttplate though, and the set comes unfinished so you'll have to stain it yourself.

There is a Timbersmith set out too that is nice.

I forget which company does, but one makes an SVD type set that will give your Saiga a PSL/SVD look, if you're into that.
    My friend did that with his and it looks really nice, but he bought one of the .308 Saiga's.

14. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Saiga in .308 with wooden stock

Attached Files:

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Be ready for a major difference in accuracy. You seem to be a serious

shooter. Hopefully, after shooting ARs and other accurate stuff, you

won't be too disappointed in the AK platform.

Where it shines is out in the bush, day after day, in firefights at

100 yards or less. Most of us don't get a lot of that, here, on a

regular basis...

16. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Kyboy's setup is about the best one can do with a Saiga. Not the mil surp plywood that even the Russians have dropped. Made himself a Vepr for less and with a lighter buttstock. With a correct scope. Nice.

17. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Mercator I wish that was mine....I just found this picture as an example. They had kne with that exact setup at my gun shio 2 mos ago for 1200 dolllars. Same everything and the scooe was Russian as well.