My first 9mm

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Chicken, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Chicken

Chicken New Member

Hey guys. My husband got me a ruger lcr .38 for a personal protection gun last month, and after a few visits to the range, I have discovered I really enjoy target shooting. Now I'm considering a full size 9mm for a good range gun. A couple friends have been talking up the Glock 17, and I held one today, and it felt pretty good so I plan on renting one to try next week. I have also looked at the Taurus PT92, just because I liked the look and the reviews I have read on it have been great. I held a SR9 and didn't really like the feel. Any advice or input?? Thanks so much!!

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Buy them all. But seriously you can't go wrong with a glock.

3. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Congrats on the new pistol! Stop by the intro area and give us an ideal about who we are talking to.

I'm not much of a Glock fan, I really like the way my XDm9 holds and shoots. Good luck finding one you like.

4. flyspooky

flyspooky New Member

I got my wife a Springfield XD 9mm which she's really enjoyed. Neither of us are the biggest fans of Glocks and liked the ergonomics of the XD better. YMMV.

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I don't get the fixation everyone has with Glock. Trigger like a staple gun, grip like a 2x4. Perfect range gun:rolleyes:
    Go to a range /w rentals and try a number of different guns. I ended up with a CZ 75BD in my 9 mm quest. Good value, accurate, & 100% reliable. Taurus PT92...hmm, they can be controversial, I'll leave it at that. Dig a bit deeper on your research.
    Check out the Stoeger Cougar. Basically the older Beretta design built in Turkey by a Beretta owned company on Beretta's equipment. I had been thinking of getting one in .40S&W, but something else came up. If you like 1911s, Rock Island makes 9 mm 1911s for fire sale prices. I keep hearing more & more good things about them. Heck, don't forget to check Ruger, they make solid pistols. I'll admit that I've never found them particularly attractive, but they are certainly worth a look.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  6. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

Another for xd over glock. I love my xdm .45

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

$13 fixes the GLOCK trigger. Can't have an xd in my state.

8. Chicken

Chicken New Member

I really appreciate the input. I must say I have held an XDM 9mm which I liked alot. And the Glock seemed to be the simplest ones to take apart to clean. I did hear the Taurus was more difficult. It seemed like I could rack the slide pretty easily on the XDM and the Glock as well. Hmmmm... Decisions decisions.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Agreed on shopping around and the value of the cz75b's. The grip on my CZ75b is soooooo comfortable. A shooting buddy has the XD9 and has been very happy with it (as i have with my xd45).

As far as the Rugers, the P95 is a serious case of lots of bang for your buck and has been for some time now.

10. Chicken

Chicken New Member

I just checked out the p95 online. Definitely a better price point. I'll have to check that one out too. I wasn't wild about the SR9 for some reason. Maybe because it wasn't as heavy as the Glock and XD models I held.

11. Chicken

Chicken New Member

Or at least it didn't seem to be as balanced :-/

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Before you buy a range lizard be sure to try a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm.

It's a tad heavy for carry but if you want to run Mozambique drills, [​IMG]

there is no better than the "King of 9's"!

[​IMG]

I share your taste in pocket revolvers,

[​IMG]

...but you owe it to yourself to checkout my choice of pure range fun/pleasure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Chicken

Chicken New Member

Wow. Beautiful gun! Gotta find one to shoot now! Lol!

14. historydoc

historydoc New Member

I also highly recommend the cz 75. I like the full size one so much that I'm thinking of getting the compact version-- for no good reason other than I want it.

15. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

If you like the Taurus check out the Beretta 92, the Taurus is basically a clone of the Beretta. I have a Beretta in 40 cal and I like it, they do have a chunky grip though that some don't care for, but I like it, and it's easy to take apart too. The military uses the M9, the 92 is pretty much the same gun.

16. Chicken

Chicken New Member

I LOVE the looks of the Beretta and have read awesome things about it, however, it's hard to find someone that will rent/loan me one to shoot. Hard to want to buy something I haven't tried. It is sure one of the prettiest ones I've seen though.

17. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

How much do you have to spend ? No budget - Sig & HK are excellent. Mid range: I own an XDM 9 but if I had to do it again, the SW M&P line is worth a 2nd look. Police trade ins can be a good value as many police don't fire beyond mandatory qualification. Walther just reworked their trigger and overhauled their pistol trying to make inroads in American markets - worth a look.

I'm not a Glock fan and I w stay away from Taurus.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

For plinktastic fun, you can get a 32 round extended mag for the p95. Believe me when I tell you it is a hoot.

19. Pariah

Pariah New Member

I have recently purchased a Walther PPQ 9mm and I love that weapon. The trigger is very short but extremely smooth. Not to mention one of the best damn looking sidearms I have ever seen!

Attached Files:

20. Chicken

Chicken New Member

Very nice Walther' my husband was actually looking at that one for himself.

Gonzilla: I'm trying to stay in the $500-$600 range.