My first 1911!!

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by JustinM, Jul 17, 2012.

1. JustinM

JustinM New Member

After a trade today for a watch I am now the proud new owner of a 1911. I can't wait to start customizing!!

image-1369079143.jpg

2. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

You can't go wrong with them enjoy

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Congrats, let us know how she shoots.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Cool

What brand is it?

5. cuba

cuba New Member

Doesn't look quite like a 1911 to me, but more like a Spanish Llama, if I'm correct, I don't know how much customizing you'll be able to do, with a very limited after market parts available, if any.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  6. JustinM

JustinM New Member

It is a llama. Is that bad? I mostly just plan on doing cosmetic work. Cerkote the frame OD green and the slide black. Probably keep trading up

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Llama was built similar to the 1911 Colts, but parts will not interchange. some people like them, some don't. i have shot a few in the past and they are alright, but nothing great IMO. as said before by another member, not a lot of parts and accessories for them.

8. cuba

cuba New Member

I wouldn't invest any money on it, if my plan was to trade up in the future (diminished return), unless I was planning to keep it, then I would invest and customize it just the way I want it.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

9. scottybaccus

scottybaccus New Member

It's a good one to cut your teeth on.

If DIY gunsmithing is your intention, you can do sights, throat the barrel, polish the internals, trigger job, lower & flare the ejection port, all kinds of stuff.

10. JustinM

JustinM New Member

Awesome! Yeah I'm just breaking into the handgun world all together. I've shot them several times in the military and growing up redneck but just starting buying them this month. I'll probably try to trade it for a plinker or two.

11. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Congrats! Hope it shoots well for you.

12. JustinM

JustinM New Member

I've got three options.. Trade the llama for a glock 33, a mossberg tactical .22 with all the attachments, or a .357 snubby and basic .22.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

As for as those trades i'd keep the llama - The last TWO i've had were scary accurate & depenable. Only thing i have against them is every llama i've shot gave me hammer bite bad. Thats easily solved tho-

14. SSTX39

SSTX39 New Member

U will never go wrong with a Glock. Mossie tac .22 is a very fun gun but a pain in the but to take out 13 screws just to clean it. That's just to get to the receiver let alone taking it down. Yeah, sold mine. U also can't go wrong with a revolver. Only thing about snubs is the barrels are to short to maximum performance out of the round ur shooting. Well, capacity is a factor with some people. Personally, I'd go with the Glock or just keep what ya got.

15. JustinM

JustinM New Member

I like the idea of having the 1911 but the more research I do the more I realize it will be hard to gets parts and stuff if needed. I am trying to get two guns out of the deal.

16. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

What brand .357 and .22 are you talking about? There are $200 .357's and $1,500 .357's as well as $50 (used) .22's and $600 .22's out there.

17. JustinM

JustinM New Member

It's a marlin tube load .22. I have one already and I'm pretty sure it's a S&W .357.

18. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

The Marlin is probably only worth $100 or so assuming it's used but you'll never go wrong with a S&W .357 Magnum. A snubby S&W is a great little carry gun.

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

The Marlin is only worth anything if you want to use it-
    The S&W now is something well worth concideration- How much depends on age, mdl & condition :)
    MOST of the Smith 6 shooters are worth 1 1/2 llamas every day of the week!

20. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Get rid of he Llama and get a real gun. That is not a real 1911 and won't let you PLAY with it as far as 1911s go. By play I mean lot's of custom parts that will let you know the 1911 platform.