My first 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by murraywc, Nov 2, 2011.

1. murraywc

murraywc New Member

My dad bought this gun about 15 years ago off of a tenant who was behind on his rent for around 200 which was a great deal. A couple of months ago he asked me while he was redoing his will if there was any of his guns that I wanted but I told him my brother and I could work out most of them but I would like to have the 45 so today he brought it to work and gave it to me.
    It is a Colt gold cup national match 70 series. Most of the bluing is worn off but the rest of the gun is in excellent shape. My question is what is the value of the gun and should I try to have it professionally refinished or should I just leave as is. I have no plans for selling it I just plan on using it just for range shooting and just to keep around.
    Thanks for any input.

Attached Files:

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

She's seen better days, but she's a Colt none the less ;). Cane should have more input than me on this matter.

3. murraywc

murraywc New Member

The slide and barrel has very little ware it looks more like someone has tried to clean it or rubbed it off

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

in that condition have it refinished by a really good gun finish business type and you will have a damn good shooter.

as it sits it isnt worth much as a collectable so revamping it wont hurt the value as it currently doesnt have much.

i would love a colt in that condition to go nuts on!! the national matches were very fine shooting guns. restore it and you will have a real prize im jealous

5. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Send it to Colt to get the Royal Blue finish.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+1 for both suggestions!

The gun does not have a high intrinsic value but even so, it's probably worth more now than what it cost new.

What you have is what I call a Heirloom Shooter. It's value is personal, not financial.

I'd return it to Colt for refinishing, and Royal Blue is a "off the hook" finish!

While at Colt, have them go through the gun for repair or replacement of anything needed. They can do custom work should you want. (Like a beavertail grip safety or a mag guide arched mainspring housing.)

Keep us in the loop.

7. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

I concur with this suggestion as well as Cane's to have it refurbished while at the factory.

*heirloom shooter* = yes, enjoy it!

8. murraywc

murraywc New Member

Thanks for the input guys. I found the same gun with a good finish on gunbroker at $1150 with 7 days to go, it started at .99.

Colt Series 70 Gold Cup National Match 1911 NR. : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Colt says it will cost $325. so I will have it done but I may have to wait a little while I just started installing a pool and redoing my deck so i'll have to see what i have left but it is a go. I have an herloom also in a colt frontier scout with some corosion on the mag cylinder which is another $95 but it will be will worth it.

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

By all means, send that back to Colt when you get a chance. I'd have them redo all the rollmarks and then do the Royal Blue finish. There's a chance that they could polish out some of the rollmarks when they're doing the prep work. In my opinion, it would be a waste of money to pay for a refinish and have spots in the rollmarks that have been polished away. If you're going to spend the money on the refinish, spend just a little more to have the rollmarks redone and you'll be guaranteed to have a gun that looks like it just rolled off the show room floor!

10. Aperez

Aperez New Member

Just putting my 2cents the colt 1911 is very popular handgun, the value of an original colt is always going to be high yes the firearm does show wear but its still a colt. In my opinion that firearm after rebluing is done to it should be above 1500. your not going to hurt the value be refinishing it. and there is really no reason to send it back to colt you can always find your local gunsmith and have him re-blue it for you and if you want get some work done to it maybe a trigger job and lowering that ejection port. over all i think that firearm is really cool. and its a very neat piece of american history.