My first 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by mudslinger79, Feb 17, 2011.

1. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

I purchased last Monday night a Taurus PT 1911 AR. Finally got to the range. I have to say. IT'S AWSOME!!!! Shoots smooth. Feels good in my hands. Groups about 3 inches at 15 yards. Purchased a DVD on take down and re-assembley. Its SO easy to work on! I'm now a 1911 fan for life! :cool:

2. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Sweet! Congrats on your new purchase.
    How about some pics?

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

That was my first 1911, too. Enjoy your new pistol, but be aware that 1911s are very addicting!

4. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

I'm learning that addiction is inevitable. I now want to start looking for a 1911 in a stainless finish.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Has anyone told you about the infamous slide stop "idiot scratch?"

6. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Just Google "1911 Idiot Mark" and you'll find plenty of information. Trust me, PLEASE look it up before you disassemble your pistol.

If your next 1911 is going to be stainless, I would recommend the Taurus again if you're looking for a low-cost stainless 1911. I have one of the early stainless 1911s and I've pretty much put it through hell. I treat it pretty rough and use it as a truck gun. I've got over 4000 rounds through it without any malfunctions, even using the factory mags. They're great little guns for the money, especially in stainless.

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

It's what you see here directly below and it front of the slide stop.
    [​IMG]
    It's easy to get frustrated when replacing the slide stop after breaking down your 1911. It takes practice.

The round scratch you see can never be buffed out and is evidence that the owner would have tried ANYTHING to get that little booger back in place.

Don't make the same mistake, you will be sad for the entire time you own the gun. Take it SLOW AND EASY when replacing the slide stop, no matter how frustrated you get.

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

That's not even as bad as it could be! I'd consider that one a pretty lucky break.

10. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Congrats on the gun! The pt 1911 was my first 1911 also, still have it and have put thousands down the tube without any malfunction! Love the pistol! Its my go to 1911, the colt is a safe queen. Needless to say the pt 1911 is a fantastic gun and you should enjoy it tons! A range report and pictures would be very nice ;)

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's called the "Crescent of Shame". (Idiot Mark, Noob Scratch.....)

It will get you!

Attached Files:

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

And here's how to prevent it!

Attached Files:

13. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

I've gotta figure out how to post pics using my phone. The only complaint I have is that it whips brass all over the place! 12-15 feet to be exact! Its a monster. Fortunately no one was at the range when I was shooting. Im sure it would have popped a few people in the head LOL!!!!!:D

14. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

Fortunately I was patient and extremely careful when I tore it down and re-assembled it. No Crescent of Shame for me!!

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Sounds like the recoil spring could stand to be a tad heavier. The factory standard is 16# for a 5" gun. In general, I run the heaviest spring that provides 100% functionality with the ammo of choice. If you're going to shoot +P ammo, you'll also want to up the spring...

16. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

All y'all with them 1911 "idiot scratches" to your guns, PM me with what ya got, I could take that "mark of shame" off your hands....for the right price! :D

Makes for a good distraction and they don't even interfere with the operation of the gun! ;)

17. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

From what I've read, an 18 or 20 spring is what it calls for. Any suggestions on a manufacturer of springs?

18. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You're right, but they sure interfere with the function of my brain!

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

There is only one 1911 current technology recoil spring manufacture.

Integrated Systems Management International

ISMI Gunsprings, Made in the U.S.A.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p54MRupHrY]YouTube - 1911 Spring Info[/ame]

20. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I think it adds character.:D