my first 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by dylanpowell, Apr 10, 2010.

1. dylanpowell

dylanpowell New Member

i got my first 1911 about 3 weeks ago and love it. its the Springfield GI 1911. i know its not the most expensive but i figured it be a good starter. ive been keeping the magazines loaded for protection. is there any thing wrong with this? i read somewhere that you should do this so i thought id ask yall. im so pleased with my 1911 im already looking at building one soif there is anyone here that has done that and would be willing to answer some questions in the future please tell me.

thanks dylan

2. dylanpowell

dylanpowell New Member

also what are some good hollow tips that will feed good in the 1911?

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Dylan - Not sure if I have seen you before, so Welcome to the FTF Community and Welcome to the wonderful world of the 1911.

As for building a 1911, from the ground up, there is quite a bit to it that would include some special jigs and tools. It's not a real "snap together" type of kit. A good 1911 has a lot of handfit parts.

As for the ammo question, this is one the most common, and impossible to answer, questions every new gun owner asks.

You will need to shoot a lot of different types and see what your weapon shoots well, is reliable, and makes you feel comfortable shooting.

Normally, with a 1911 in .45ACP, the standard response is a 230gr hollowpoint - and there are a ton of them out there. However, there are other rounds that feature a "lighter" round that will be every bit as damaging but with reduced recoil.

The best advice I can offer is to do a lot of shooting and keep a log of your results.

I personally carry Ranger Hollowpoints pictured below. They are not commonly available to the civilian community, but if you shop around, you can probably find some. :cool:

Good luck!

JD

Attached Files:

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations Dylan! You own a rock solid 1911. :cool:

5. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Congrats!
    The 1911 is a great pistol with a lot of history behind it.
    I too own a GI Springfield, they're great:cool:

6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Good choice.
    I'm sure you'll love it.
    Post up some photos and a range report when you can.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great choice Dylan!

The 1911 pattern pistol is tough to beat. (and you have a great one!)

JD put it best, when selecting PD ammo you will have little to do with the selection, your gun will tell you what it likes!

But don't start to listen until you have about 500 rounds of ball ammo down range. Let the gun break-in, keep it clean and lubed. It will serve you well for a lifetime.

You will own many guns in your lifetime and probably several 1911s but this springer will always be your first! Enjoy the ride.

8. Al1195

Al1195 New Member

Congradulations on your first 1911, I bought my first 1911 just about the same time, Being a lot older I went for a Springfield 1911 EMP, 9mm. Got to the range last week and I love the trigger action on the single action. I havn't shot a 1911 since the corp day back in 1958.
    Hope you enjoy your pistol as much as I love mine!:)

9. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

About how much of this ammo do you need to shoot to know it is reliable, and how often should you practice with this specific bullet. $40 per box is a little high to spit hundreds of rounds down range. Outside the range, looks like a round I would keep loaded up while carrying.

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

This will vary from person to person...some will say 50 others say 200 rounds down range without a single problem. If you put 100 rounds thru it without a problem, odds are you won't have one.
    I know what you mean when you say $40/box is a bit pricey but remember, you may be better your life on that $40 and spending $80 to put 100 rounds thru it is a small price. There are many good options out there, Gold Dots, Hydra Shoks, I carry Federal HSTs. Winchester DPX is getting more popular too.

11. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

I can see every couple months shooting a couple boxes, but using ball ammo to keep the practice numbers up.

12. superc

superc Member

There is no question owning a 45 can be expensive. It isn't the cost of the gun, but the ammo you have to expend before, a) breaking it in and b) becoming any good with it. Once you have done 200 rounds or so and are clear of the break in bobbles, then you start to play with different types of ammo. Initially your .45 will probably like some, but dislike others. Only way to tell is to fire another 50 rounds. $$$ Remember to try the bullet type in each magazine as some of them are finicky too. $$$ A bullet that feeds okay in 2 magazines, but not in the third is possibly not the one you want. Then again sometimes replacing that magazine is the best option. $$$ Most of us wind up going at least 250 rounds of break-in/practice ammo and maybe another 200 rounds before finding the perfect bullet. $$$ Sadly these costs are often not put up front by those urging others to buy a .45.

13. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

Congrats! That's a great base gun to build upon.

14. hiredhelp

hiredhelp New Member

:) I know it is kind of late but congrats on getting the 1911. I have never fired a hollow point in any of our 1911 (A1's). We use standard 230 grain and that really seems to do what ever is needed. I am fortunate enough to have an in with a smith that loads for several PD's and we get the 45 acp for a very reasonable price. As we all have seen, one good shot with the 45 acp will do more than several of anything else. Good shooting and enjoy the best designed pistol ever.

1911....enough said!

15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Congrats on welcome to both FTF and the 1911 culture.

Don't worry about your GI not being too expensive. Best shooter in my safe is a plain jane Colt Series 80 I picked up for 400.00

Thing will rattle if I shake it but it still knocks the 10 ring out at 10 yards.

16. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Welcome to the forum. I remember when I purchased my first 1911. It was a Colt 1991A1. Even after all these years I have never upgraded the pistol. Never really wanted to. I have Kimber's and Springfield's with all the bells and whisle's, but just could never bring myself to change my Colt.

Any way, it is great to a have new person here hope to see you around more.

17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Do after market "Colt" emblemed Cocobollo grips count as "upgraded"?:confused:

Naw, it's still stock, just prettier, and still the most accurate shooter in my safe!:)

Attached Files: