My first 1911

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by oscargabriel911, May 2, 2014.

1. oscargabriel911

oscargabriel911 New Member

Im looking to get my first classic 1911 in 45 acp....the brands im thinking of buying are colt,sig,kimber and springfield armory...maybe para ordinance......there all good names just diff prices and models....i was at my local gun shop and found more than afew,everything exept a kimber....but the piece that caught my i was this awsome colt combat elite two tone....i just wanted to ask yall before i got serious if this gun has a good record thanks...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Those 1911 manufacturers who did not have a decent 1911 are gone.
    Look at warranties of each before you buy. Kimber has a 1 year limited.
    Colt must be doing something right for the number of years they have been in the 1911 business (they would have killed the 1911 line if their product was not good.)

3. oscargabriel911

Very true thank you

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

You will not regret buying a Colt, especially a Combat Elite.

5. oscargabriel911

Yeah colts been around along time i don't think some people take the seriously....

6. oscargabriel911

I've had a lot of people tell me that I'm just paying for the name but colt has a great reputation and quality.... The only thing that I've ever bought that was me paying for the name was nike Jordan's lol

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

With Colt, if you're "paying for the name," you're still paying for a very high-quality pistol at a fair price. The others you mentioned are great too, but a Colt will always be a Colt.

8. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Colt makes good guns, but they are certainly not the end-all be-all of 1911s. Aside from the name and reputation, I haven't seen anything about them that is more impressive than other guns in the same tier. They still use plastic mainspring housing and I had a stainless Defender that would freckle with rust if not generously coated in oil. That's just lower grade stainless steel.

Your best advice would be to provide us with a budget you have in mind as well as what your intended purpose will be for the gun. We can recommend more specific makes and models that way.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

10. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I have a few 1911's and one is a Colt and it is my favorite! Other brands are fine but a Colt is special in its own way. So much history, so many stories that are important to our nation can be related to a few firearms and a Colt 1911 is one of them. :)

Whatever you choose just be safe and have fun and really appreciate the history and the value it holds.

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

When I was Shooting 1911's In comp. (mid 80's until My Back really got bad again in 2000) That's all you COULD buy was a Colt. I was much younger then of course, and not married(made one mistake in my life, but that ended quickly) so i spent my money on Guns & Bullets..
    Colt 1911's are like an Abrams Tank or the UH-1 Helicopter. They are just Sturdy as heck and take a beating,..which is Why the Marines went back to it, and Why Spec. Ops. Personnel keep them in their armories...they RUN & RUN & RUN..

12. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I know I sound like a broken record but check out the Remington R1 Enhanced 1911. My favorite 1911 and it's the best shooting one I've fired yet.

13. oscargabriel911

Thank you all for all the input I appreciate it.... I intend to use my 1911 mainly for the range and home defense.... And I can spend about $1400 so im still looking and that colt combat elite is still available at my local gun dealer

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

18 posts since October 2013?

May I suggest that you post a little more?
    A forum is only as good as the input from its members.

15. DrFootball

Some folks prefer reading to posting...

16. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

I read this forum 10x more than I post.

17. Olympus

Olympus New Member

At $1400, I think you can do better than a Colt. That price range puts you very close to a Dan Wesson. They will put any Colt to shame.

18. indy36

indy36 New Member

I like the Sig Scorpion. It's a great 1911. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1399249781.158138.jpg

19. DrFootball

Never had a DW 1911 but I have DW in 41Mag. With 4 barrels, and two Grips. Tubes are 5,6,8 & 12, and the 12 is scoped. And the other two long ones are tapped. They are all Mag- Na-Ported. DW makes a good product.

20. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Yes, beautiful gun. Great manufacturer too.

But still only a single action pistol though.

You'd be infinitely better off with a double action.