My first 1911 w/ photos

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by jamesb, Jun 27, 2010.

1. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Yep...I did it. I have always loved the 1911 pistols and wanted one. Very hard to decide what I wanted in a 1911 as im a newb to owning pistols. Plus i've only shot .22 and 9mm so was a bit worried about what the .45 would be like. Kept seeing visions of the pistol slamming me in the face from its sheer power.

I went to a shop that rented pistols for $10 for 10 shots.(I got 12 rounds though). I just wanted to make sure I could handle the .45 ok. After the first round lets just say I had a huge grin on my face. No where near as bad as I thought and was totally controlable. This is sure fun!

I tested out a Kimber Pro Carry II and felt it was pretty nice. Not to heavy, fit my larger hands well, and recoil didn't feel much worse than my 9mm.

I knew I wanted a 4" 1911 in 45 ACP that I could carry for under $900. I found that the Pro Carry II and a Springfield GI were the two I came back to, plus they were 2 of the 3 in the store that met those requirements. Springfield felt a lot heavier and the trigger didn't feel as smooth.

Ended up getting the Kimber, spare Kimber 8 rd magazine, DeSantis holster, and a box of Winchester 230gr FMJ for the range....bit more expensive to shoot than a 9mm.

The only thing I find odd is the manual states that the recoil spring should be replaced every 800 rounds...that seems quick. Is this just the Kimbers? I read something about it being bushingless (need to see what that is) so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm a lefty so it will take some practice releasing the slide. It seems very hard to do so right now, but I figure after break in it will be easier.

This is my second pistol and first 1911. Hope it treats me well. Plan to break it down and clean it before going to the range in a few days.

Anything to know about Kimbers in general?

Don't plan to change much of anything. Just take it to the range. I wouldn't mind some nice ivory or wood grips to give it some color. From what I was told it is a full size frame so any full size grips will work.

And now a few photos I took for your viewing pleasure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Couple more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And compared to my HK P30 9mm

[​IMG]

3. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Nice!
    Congrats on buying the best pistol design, ever!:cool:

4. cmhill

cmhill New Member

You will enjoy it greatly. I have a kimber pro crimson carry II cant get enough of it. you can also purchase a .22 kit to change for just plinking

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations! You picked an excellent 1911 for your first one. However, you will soon want others. ;)

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Great choice!! Here's mine. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put the hogue wrap arounds on them and ditched the crappy mags that came with it.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I've found the wilson mags work better in mine. I also had some feeding issues for the first few hundred rounds with hollowpoints. I oiled up the slide and racked it a few hundred times, ran a few hundred rounds through it, and now it will eat anything.

8. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Nice pistol. I like those grips, but want to keep it as slim as possible which is why I want to run the standard style grips.

The spare Kimber mag was $20, but I'll give the Wilsons a try as well. Only going to run WWB 230 gr through it for the first few hundred shots. Then will toss some JHPs through it as well.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

John Moses Browning is up there smiling.

Your right on any government 5" stocks fitting your Commander size 1911.

Kimber is a great company but I'm a Colt fan boy.

The bushing-less barrel simply means its a "Bull Barrel" that locks up directly to the slide and not the bushing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Thanks for the clarification! :) Will post up a range report after I go later this week.

11. jamesb

jamesb New Member

So, since I can't leave well enough alone, I ordered grips! I know, I know, but after photoshoping them on the pistol they looked to awesome to not do. Not cheap, but from what I hear the quality is awesome!

Here is a photochop of them on my Kimber. Sort of a tribute to my girlfriend who is Irish. I think they are going to look awesome.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  12. cmhill

cmhill New Member

pretty nice grips there, mind sharing where they are from?

13. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Yep, just ordered from Esmeralda.

http://www.esmeralda.cc/

She has a lot of really nice designs. Hard finding just the right ones.

14. Orlandorealtor

Orlandorealtor New Member

Nice gun and grips! The grips look well on the dark frame..

15. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Thanks, I tried some of her lighter wood grips, but something looked odd about them on that frame. On a SS 1911 the lighter grips would be beautiful.

16. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Awesome pics!

17. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Thank you sir. I am a semi-pro photog (as in I make some money shooting photos). So I try and put my gear to use as much as I can.

18. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

The nice thing about her grips is that the pair you see in the photos are the pair you get if you order them. A few hours after you order them, you will see "SOLD" go up under the photo. So if you like the grain in a particular pair of Cocobolos, those are what you get.

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

That's a pretty nice 1911. As to your question about the recoil spring some last longer than others. I've always kept extras around because they are not real expensive and I like being able to change it as soon as possible when needed. When it starts getting some rounds through it I'll check the spring length against a new spring and when it gets to about three coils short I change it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 1911's This usually is a progressive ailment that will help spend your money but on the plus side you will have other 1911's to marvel at and enjoy.

20. jamesb

jamesb New Member

I see that. Although they say they were sold in the last two hours even though I bought them last night. That is very cool that they are the exact grips I'll get. I'm glad cause I really liked those exact ones and was hoping mine would look as good.

I found that the springs are a 3 pack for around $16 so that isn't near what I thought it was going to cost. I'll pick up a pack after a range day or two just to have them around.