My FFL found an AR10 lower he will sell in CA

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by DarinCraft, Jul 26, 2011.

1. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

OK after a "healthy discussion" on the merits of PC 12276.1 and the Kasler list with my FFL regarding BigCat's Aero lower, he said he did some research and DOJ agreed the Aero lower is illegal based on the "Armalite" component in the description.

He felt so bad that he looked around and found a lower that is legal to import to CA and he said he would order it for me. It is a CMMG G3 7.62mm lower. Other than knowing it is not REALLY an AR10 lower I don't know anything about this lower or any of the other 7.62 AR style lowers. According to him it uses G3 mags and DPMS uppers.

He told me I would be better off with this anyway, because the G3 mags are easier to find, cheaper and are available in the PRK 10 round limit. Also he believed the DPMS LR-308 uppers were cheaper than the AR10 and more reliable.

Can someone give me some advice on this on whether or not I'd be wasting my money.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Wow, you really got me thinking with this one. I am in Texas and unaffected by Kali stupidity, but an AR-10 platform that takes HK mags is very appealing to me. I have been considering the purchase of an AR-10 and had pretty much settled on the Rock River. Since I already have an HK-91 and a CETME, I have bou coup mags already. An AR that does not require any new magazine purchase intrigues me.

I checked the CMMG site and found their lowers work with "modified" DPMS uppers. A small amount of material must be removed from the upper to allow for the wider HK mags. A small investment in a little machine work is more than offset by the savings in mags.

They say complete firearms will be ready in 2011. We are over half way through 2011. I do not like being a firearm guinea pig.

3. Car54

Car54 New Member

Darin, why don't you look at the 300 AAC Blackout? It's an AR with a .30 cal barrel. You can get a pistol length or carbine length gas system and fire supersonic or subsonic ammo. In test, it's shown to be more powerful than a 7.62x39.

The ammo is a necked down .223 cartridge so it fits an AR mag with no modification, the BCG is the same, again you change nothing but a barrel. Advanced Armament, Noveske, Delta Company, CMMG, are on the market with uppers or complete rifles.

4. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Robo, so you agree that G3 mags are cheaper and easier to come across?

Car54, I am looking at the AR10 platform which is built on the .308. But definitely, if I were in the market for 7.62x39 that 300 is much better.

Thanks guys.

5. chevyforlife1972nova

chevyforlife1972nova New Member

there defintly cheaper

AR-10 can get pricey
    The g3 mags are all over there was a guy at the last gun show selling 20 used g3 mags for 65 bucks they were 20 rounds tho so idk about 10 round ones

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You can find the aluminum G-3 mags for about $2-3 each. Buy 30 of em and never have a worry in case a couple get damaged or wear out. I have a bunch of the alloy ones and 10-15 of the steel ones. I have never had a mag go bad.

7. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Good deal. Provided nothing drastic comes up, I'll deliver some cash next week.

Thanks guys

8. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Hi Darin
    I'm new here, but decided to start my first post with some suggestions for you. If you want a .308, the FAL can be made California legal. I bought one in 2010 that has a shroud screwed in place that covers the mag release button. It functions like the AR-15's "bullet button" that requires a tool (bullet tip) to remove the magazine.

I discovered that the shroud can be removed for maintainance purposes and I could also remove it if I left the state of California.

This year's purchase was a stripped AR lower receiver from a local gun shop for which I built a long-range target rifle in 6.5mm Grendel. I also purchased the required "bullet button" that needed to be sold with the receiver. I bought a 6.5mm kit from J&T Distributing to build the rifle. It's a better deer/hog cartridge than the .223 is, and if I leave the state of California I can swap out the "bullet button" with the stock magazine release that came with the build kit.

A final AR-15 option for you is an Olympic arms upper in either .25 WSSM or .30 OSSM. The .25 is ballisticly the same as the .25-06, and the .30 to the .30-06. Only problem is that because of the size of the cartridges, magazine capacity is only 4-5 rounds. Since you're limited to a hunting rifle with a 5 shoot magazine in California, that shouldn't be a big problem for us.
    Good day,
    Michael