Firearms Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My father passed away early this year from covid-19 he was a small gun collector with a few older guns as well as modern. My mother would like them out of the house as she does not feel safe around guns and unfortunately I am taking a job in a state where I just don’t feel like dealing with gun laws. So I am selling his collection, as of now my girlfriends father plans to purchase them, and in trying to find out what a fair price is. He has plenty of money and wants to give fair market price, but he is also my girlfriends father and I want him to get a deal as he has already helped me out plenty. I have taken pictures of the guns as shown shown, there are many more but I couldn’t not upload them all. I would love to pick someone’s brain as to what I should be requesting fairly. Any help would be amazing. The guns are located in Las Vegas Nevada have been kept in a gun safe since 1980s all of the new rifles have never even been fired as my father was buying during covid and never had time to get out and put round through them. If any guns do not sell to potential buyers any helpers would have first dibs. Thank you.

Musical instrument accessory Tool Red Musical instrument Material property

Wood Gun accessory Machine Metal Tool

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Gas

Trigger Gas Machine Gun accessory Nickel

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gas

Trigger Air gun Musical instrument Shotgun Wind instrument

Attachments

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Very sorry for your loss, sir.
First things first, I would take them to a local high quality gun shop to have them appraised. Also, they might be able to sell them for you on commission. Some of those look quite interesting - what is the level action rifle? Make and model of that beautiful Smith revolver, (located on inside the crane, stamped on the frame), would help as well.
Do you have other relatives who are not prohibited possessors that might want something from your father to remember him by? Do remember, firearms sold'gifted to anyone out of state HAVE to be sent to a Federal Firearms Licensee in that state - your local good quality gun shop can help. I mean, avoid the ghetto shops full of Hi Points and Jennings pistols. The magazines should be parceled out with guns sold to enhance the value of the sale, or sold in bulk, but you might not get much.
You have a teaser photo of the front of a Colt wheelgun with some damage on the crane/frame, any more info about that?
If I had money, which I don't, I'd take the Smith and the Colt revolvers if I could, (plus that lever action rifle if I knew more about it), but I have some big bills to pay.
Sorry I cannot help more.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It's tough to give an accurate assessment of the collection without a lot of good pictures, plus you say there's more. The ones not shown could be the more valuable units. Any C&R or milsurp, Garands, 03s, 1911s, SSA? Sounds like you're pressed for time. You might consider a list of the weapons and ammo for starters. If you trust your girl friend's pops, ask him what he's willing to pay per piece or the whole she bang. I think a single sale of all the long guns, to a state resident is the simplest, cash and carry, no paper. Even though they may be unfired, they're still used. The pistols might need FFL involvement. Ask around. Good luck, PAX

·
Registered
171 Posts
my opinion is that you're spinning your wheels requesting this info on any forum - suggest you contact gun shops in Vegas and get a consensus of opinions as to where to physically take the firearms for appraisal/sale

·
Registered
VIGILANT CURMUDGEON
110 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Don’t let the LGS LOWBALL the good guns’ values.
( Notoriously Overly Frugal)
Good Luck !

·
Registered
386 Posts
In general, a professional appraisal of a firearm collection is going cost money and time. You're going to have to do some foot work yourself to avoid those fee$, and that is going to take some time. It kinda sounds like you're not a savvy gun guy, and that's a sticky wicket. Again, make a list and inventory what's there, then compare what the item SOLD for on an auction site like Gun Broker. You say you want to give the girlfriend's dad a "fair" deal. Pretty vague. Fair by how much, $25 bucks each, $100 each? $20 grand for $25 grand's worth of iron's pretty fair. I see where Nevada requires background checks as of January 2020 (fee$), so there's that to consider for EACH sale. But a sale can be 50 guns.for one transaction. I believe they can be gifted to you from you mom without any paper case (could be wrong), and if you're moving to a free state, like Idaho, they're yours. PAX

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
There is a "Blue Book" of gun values.
If you want to get rid of them, buy the book and do your own research.
Sit down with your girlfriends father and go over every weapon with him and the book.
Agree on pricing and move on to the next.
If there are any you can't determine a price on then call a few gun shops and ask around for advice.
I'm sure you will have success with the Blue Book. It seems like your buyer has good intentions and both of you want a fair deal.
Of course if there are any he doesn't want let us know here.
Someone always wants something they haven't got.
Sorry for your loss and best of luck to you.

This link also has an online search.....start there.

·
Registered
386 Posts
There is a "Blue Book" of gun values.
If you want to get rid of them, buy the book and do your own research.
Sit down with your girlfriends father and go over every weapon with him and the book.
Agree on pricing and move on to the next.
If there are any you can't determine a price on then call a few gun shops and ask around for advice.
I'm sure you will have success with the Blue Book. It seems like your buyer has good intentions and both of you want a fair deal.
Of course if there are any he doesn't want let us know here.
Someone always wants something they haven't got.
Sorry for your loss and best of luck to you.

This link also has an online search.....start there.
All of the print materials regarding value is only roughly accurate to what an item might ACTUALLY fetch, but still a good starting point of reference. The pricing can vary greatly by region, especially on the more modern type weapons, Glocks, ARs...etc.. Again, a single sale/transaction will expedite and simplify the FFL TRANSFER process.

ALSO:
If you don’t want to deal with a check, though, the field narrows a bit. Permanent transfers of firearms are only available to immediate family members, which, in this case, means children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews “whether by whole or half blood, adoption, or step-relation.” PAX

·
Supporting Member
13,314 Posts
Kyle
Another good thing to do if you have time is go on Gun Broker.Com and see what the models and guns you have are selling on their website for.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Haven't seen OP back yet, wonder if he found another venue?
He got some good scoop from the members here. If he's not a gun guy the task can be daunting. PAX

1 - 11 of 11 Posts