My experiences with Lyme disease & related Dementia

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Ploofy, May 26, 2011.

1. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

While I have no experience with Lyme disease, the title is a quote from Orangello and was too poetically perfect to not use word for word. I have, however, had debilitating dementia while in survival situations. Namely, sleep deprivation and iodine poising. And Lyme disease and other things like it are very real threats in wilderness situations. Does anybody have any experience with these things or methods for avoiding/curing them?

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

My father contracted Lyme disease back in the 90's, before it was widely recognized. Well, even today Dr's often don't pick up on it right away. :eek: I remember him being sluggish and grouchy, most likely due to him being constantly sick, for quite a while. After he was diagnosed he mentioned to me that he was always sore, tired and thirsty. He was put on some antibiotics, sorry I don't know which, for a few months as I recall. Lucky for him he made a full recover but it was something like a year long process for him.

As for avoiding it the best way I can figure is scrape your body clean after being in the brush/woods every time. Even if it means a dip in the nearest stream or pond. ;)

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

sorry- career Infantryman. Dementia was our NORMAL state.........

4. opaww

opaww New Member

Career Scout here-and nothing survives when it bites us, Heaven won't take us and Hell closed its door and won't let us in.

5. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

I'm a cadet who just got through OCS. I put myself in 6 days of sleep deprivation for fun in my free time (hiking). I want to know how to deal with the hallucinations or dizziness or tunnel vision. Any tips for those problems or others?

6. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

If you get bit by a tick and start aching and have joint soreness within a few days a simple trip to the doc and some very cheap antibiotics will cure you. Any tick bite that doesn't heal normally needs to be addressed. You can get all types of diseases from a tick. The key is just to be aware of the bite and mention it.