Firearms Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I had an S&W 29 8 3/8" Nichol Plated .44 magnum. It was the best shooting hand cannon I ever owned. I used to hand load 220gr. Sierra FULL METAL JACKET SEMI WAD CUTTERS with HERCO 2400 POWDER and a Magnum primer. I was eclipsing 1450 fps with approx. 950 ft. lbs. of knock down power.
A Police Officer at the Range where I was shooting. came up to me and said" man I have never seen anyone handle a .44 like that". You need to come out to one of our Police target match shoot offs. I agreed and on the day of the shoot, I cleared 5 bowling pins in 12 seconds. However the winner took home the prize with a best of 5 pins in 4 1/2 seconds with a Detonics .45 ACP. I wasn't asked to come back as the pins I shot...literally evaporated, when the bad bullet hit the mark. When my sons became curious I sold it and just hung on to my long guns and my memories. Now that they are grown and buying Automatics, I am looking to buy a another 8 3/8" Nichol again. Only problem is, they are hard to find used, and I don't want to shell out a grand to relive the experience!

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
WELCOME aboard John.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Years ago I had an S&W 29 8 3/8" Nichol Plated .44 magnum. It was the best shooting hand cannon I ever owned. I used to hand load 220gr. Sierra FULL METAL JACKET SEMI WAD CUTTERS with HERCO 2400 POWDER and a Magnum primer. I was eclipsing 1450 fps with approx. 950 ft. lbs. of knock down power.
A Police Officer at the Range where I was shooting. came up to me and said" man I have never seen anyone handle a .44 like that". You need to come out to one of our Police target match shoot offs. I agreed and on the day of the shoot, I cleared 5 bowling pins in 12 seconds. However the winner took home the prize with a best of 5 pins in 4 1/2 seconds with a Detonics .45 ACP. I wasn't asked to come back as the pins I shot...literally evaporated, when the bad bullet hit the mark. When my sons became curious I sold it and just hung on to my long guns and my memories. Now that they are grown and buying Automatics, I am looking to buy a another 8 3/8" Nichol again. Only problem is, they are hard to find used, and I don't want to shell out a grand to relive the experience!
I was just thinkin' a few of us here may be able to 'one-up' you on the .44 (Don't call me Dirty) Rem MAG 'home hot load' pistol thinigie.

How about a factory load, 185 Grain Nosler JHP @ 1600 + fps w/ ½ ton of energy?

Or maybe the slightly slower factory load, 230 Grain JHP @ 1350 feet fps w/941 pound feet of energy?

Both/either (and factory .45 ACP) shot from a Colt Gub-mint full-sized 1911 auto loader?

The "Canebrake, FENRIR .460 Rowland"

Let me put it in these’s terms;

Your “hand cannon”: KABoom, ouch! KABoom, F**k! KABoom, S**t! KABoom, Chr**t! KABoom, screw this! KABoom, finally! Damn!

The .460 Rowland: KAFreakin’ Boom, KAFreakin’ Boom, KAFreakin’ Boom, KAFreakin’ Boom, KAFreakin’ Boom, KAFreakin’ Boom, KAFreakin’ Boom, KAFreakin’ Boom, OMG, WOW!!

Oh yea, welcome again to the FTF. The Canester

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
29 vs SuperRedHawk

Welcome John. Check out the :D91/2" Ruger Super RedHawk on GunBroker-less$+will take Hot Loads longer. Buy Hogue MonoGrip with it, or say good=bye to your middle finger of shooting hand-HA!! Welcome aboard+Good Luck on a .44 MAG.:D:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts