My EDC weapon choices

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Ramlatus, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Ramlatus

Ramlatus New Member

These are the weapons I'm looking at as possible Carry weapons. Thoughts? I have handle a few of them, but have not had the chance to fire any of them. Now for those Glock fans out there, I did look at several Glocks, but they just don't feel right in my hand. Kinda sucks because I understand that they are very reliable which is what I like.

Ruger SR9c
    Sig Sauer P250 Compact 9mm
    Sig Sauer P250 Subcompact 9mm
    Springfield XD(M) Compact 9mm (XDM9389CB or CS)
    Springfield XD Sub-Compact 9mm (XD9801 or XD9821)

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Can't tell about everyone else...
    I love the way a sig fits my hand. It has a high bore aaxis though, which tends to lead to more "flip"

My only thing against xd's, without ever having shot one...the trigger guard seems cramped to me.

Both are fine guns and would serve you very well.

3. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

I have the Sig P250c. Beware the long trigger pull.

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The Ruger and Springfields are fine choices if their size suits you. I'm a Sig fan, but haven't been the least bit impressed with the P250 line.

5. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

I can't say enough about the Smith & Wesson M&P.

It's my EDC and it runs through my 4 day courses shooting 600 rounds in 4 days without hiccup.

Mine has been through the course numerous times

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Out of the guns you listed, i would go with the XDM

7. Ramlatus

Ramlatus New Member

I'm a bit concerned that the Sig P250s modular design and ability to change size and such could reduce the overall performance of the weapon. Its attempt to do all jobs prevents it from doing any of them really well. Does anyone have any feedback on this?

8. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

I don't see why it can't, it is a good concept. You have three grip sizes, three frame and barrel sizes all in 9mm, 357 sig and 40sw. The 45 has certain things that works with it.

I have a P250c 40sw and I like it. I just have to work with a long trigger but they have a short trigger I can order for it.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I just don't like the muzzle-flip of shorter barrels.

Seems like a nice assortment though.

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Ramlatus, do you feel that double stack is the way you want to go? Do you already carry or is this your first carry gun? Some people EDC a double stack, but I just can't. I sense it too much. I only carry single-stacks, personally.

11. Ramlatus

Ramlatus New Member

It will be my first carry weapon. I owned a cheap firearm like 10 years ago, and this is my first quality firearm. The other firearm was a birthday gift which I played with occasionally.

I'm hoping for a double stack simply due to round count. I would prefer to have a minimum of 10+1. I hope to practice enough to never need that many rounds. I like to have extra in case of multiple agressers. I have had several of these in my hands and liked their feel. I unfortunately have not had the chance to fire any of them.

If I could find anyplace that had the weapons I would go see, and possible fire them, but for some reason the gun culture here is almost nonexistent. The nearest "gun store" is a pawn shop. If I had to guess I would say that not many people here qualify to own a firearm...If you know what I mean.

12. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

I hear you and where are you?

13. Ramlatus

Ramlatus New Member

Mississippi Gulf Coast

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Capacity is NOT necessarily the way to go. I've carried a revolver for years and never felt under gunned. I've only recently gone to a semi (springfield 1911 milspec) for exactly one more round. (I don't do the +1, it just don't feel right to me). Ask yourself this, as I did when choosing my first carry gun on a budget... How often do you hear of multiple thugs continuing an attack once an armed citizen brings a gun into play? Rarely if ever is the answer. Most criminals don't want a fight, they want an easy target. Once you play your ace, 9 times out of 10 they're going to fold their hand and get away from the poker table most Ricky tick.

That being said, higher capacity is NOT a bad thing, if that's what you want. I just don't feel the need for it myself.

By the way, I didn't bother with a reload for my revolver. The only reason I carry a reload now is because a single stack .45 1911 mag is just too convenient to say no to.

I've had to shoot people, in combat overseas. Yes, I had to reload under fire. The difference is, those people weren't your average criminal. They were IN it for the fight, not for a wallet carrying maybe 35 bucks.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  15. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Your exactly right, if a person is choosing high capacity to compensate for bad aim,that is worse than having a 6 shot handgun. If you cant make accurate shot placement then it doesnt really matter what you carry. I carry my 1911 8+1 most of the time and my G31 15+1 some of the time. Ive never felt outgunned either way.

16. DX1

DX1 New Member

I agree with the capacity comments and personally have migrated to smaller, lighter weapons that are easier to carry and conceal. So For EDC, I use either a 9mm Walther PPS or Ruger .38 LCR, both in Remora holsters that I can easily slip on. I got the LCR originally to load snakeshot here in Florida, but I found it was so easy to stick into a pocket I now carry it most frequently with regular HP rounds if snakes aren't likely to be a factor.

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife and I have Ruger SR9c's. Excellent pistol. Accurate, reliable, easy to get on target and keep there. Thumb safety. It gets hot here and we are already in shorts. I pocket carry a Sig P238 often.

18. jimmyp7162

jimmyp7162 New Member

Of course everyone has their own opinions, so here is mine. I am in love with my Ruger SR40c. The quality is superb and as you get to know the gun, you realize the design is very well thought out! For a .40 cal the recoil is no problem and it is darn near the same size of the 9. I carry a IWB holster most often and even with a t shirt it's no problem. In any case, there are some great pistols out there....this is what I prefer.

19. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Trip, although I do agree with you, I can name a few cases where the bg pressed the attack. I did/would carry a reload because its prudent to always be ready.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I have to respectfully disagree on many points of the discussion here.

I live in Florida.

FLO-RI-DA. As in, if you step out of your car, outside of town,

you're re-entering the food chain. Hell, people here IN town

regularly encounter gators under their cars. There's Wild Boar,

snakes, gators, coyotes, and that's before you even enter

any area where you're likely to encounter BGs.

So I use a full-sized EDC, spare mags, with an SKS ready to rock and roll

under the back seat. I believe the Bible refers to it as

"the quick and the dead"...