Firearms Talk banner

My DPMS

4K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  nell2glocks 
#1 ·
I've had this rifle for a while now but have just now got it to where I'm gona leave it , I think!
I purchased the aimpoint reflex that is cowittnessed with my iron sights at academy sports.. I picked up the redfield scope at my local gun store . I orderd the billet aluminum foregrip from UTF and a pistol grip from magpull .The handguards are two piece Blackhawk from YhM. The laser is a walther pressure switch red laser. The flashlight is a sure fire. This is a pretty accurate gun even in my hands now I'm telling myself that I'm done with it , but you now how that goes.

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Tenderribbs said:
I've had this rifle for a while now but have just now got it to where I'm gona leave it , I think!
I purchased the aimpoint reflex that is cowittnessed with my iron sights at academy sports.. I picked up the redfield scope at my local gun store . I orderd the billet aluminum foregrip from UTF and a pistol grip from magpull .The handguards are two piece Blackhawk from YhM. The laser is a walther pressure switch red laser. The flashlight is a sure fire. This is a pretty accurate gun even in my hands now I'm telling myself that I'm done with it , but you now how that goes.
Can you even see the reflex in order to put it to use?. Seems like a ton of S in the way of it. But congrats overall.

#6 ·

View attachment 50993
Can you even see the reflex in order to put it to use?. Seems like a ton of S in the way of it. But congrats overall.
The answer to your question would be, yes ;)

Congrats on the SUR Tender, please follow up with a range report, the good, the bad and the ugly (no, not a picture of you, your targets ;) :p )

#8 ·
Yep I bought her whole and then set het up the way I liked and yes you can see the reflex sight . The dot or one of the other options sits perfectly on top of my front site . If you haven't tried this try, it I think it really helps finding my front site, there's not alot of room under my scope to sse your iron sight so it males the front sight stand out. I'm going to shoot her this afternoon I'll post a range report.

#9 ·
Im running a scoped DPMS A-15 flat top, and I couldnt be more pleased with it. It rides beside the passenger seat of my field truck, clean on the inside, and filthy dirty on the outside, it has not failed to function. Periodically, it gets a bath and returned to its nest next to the console.

#10 ·
Nice rifle. Yet another satistfied DPMS customer. My handguards are similar, but are from Midwest Industries.
Bill tell me about the oracle ? I found a new one for sale local and was interested because it comes with 4 mags and 400 rds of federal brass ammo for $700 that all I know I havent seen it yet . I was thinking about buying to keep the ammo and unloading the rest of it ?

#11 ·
That sounds like a good deal. I bought mine from a local cop that had run about 100 rounds through it. I got the rifle, mags, 400 rounds of Federal ammo, and a Bushnell scope with Rock River Arms mount for $700. He had mounted the scope backwards and thought that it was defective. He had the scope hanging out about 3 inches behind the receiver, and couldnt get his head down to see through it, and when he did, he couldnt see anything. Funny how 5 minutes and an allen wrench changed all that.

#12 ·
I kept mine simple. It has never malfunctioned.

Attachments

#13 ·
Bill tell me about the oracle ? I found a new one for sale local and was interested because it comes with 4 mags and 400 rds of federal brass ammo for $700 that all I know I havent seen it yet . I was thinking about buying to keep the ammo and unloading the rest of it ?
Havoc, that is a smokin' deal! I would not hesatate to jump on it! The Oracle is one of DPMS's most popular models. They function well and have most all of the features desired in an AR-15 rifle. Here are some specs on it.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/556-ORACLE_ep_135-1.html

The barrel is 4140 Chrome Moly with a 1 in 9" twist, which is ideal for most .223 / 5.56 MM ammunition. I was talking to one of the guys at Cabela's the other day, and he told me they sell more DPMS Oracle models than any other AR-15. They've yet to get one back for any reason or problem. Considering the amount of firearms they sell, that is saying something. I'm considering one of their Varmint heavy barrel models as my next AR. From what I see and hear, the most bashing of these rifles comes from people who don't own them. The ones who do seem to be very satisfied with them.

#14 ·
Man that sounds like a deal 4 mags and 400 rds for 700 I paid almost seven for mine striped of course , yea you could make some $ on that deal as far as dependability I have has 0 FTF or FTE it it has a dust guard and forward assist . I think that's a heck of a deal

#15 ·
Nice deal, you could break even selling all but the ammo. Early this year I got a like new G27 with night sights, three mags, holster and 300 rounds for $500 cash. Kinda the same reasoning as you but now all the ammo's shot up and I'm keeping the Glock! :p

#18 ·
Hmmm , for some reason I thought I had read they took a commercial buffer tube any one know what it really takes ?
New Oracle, yeah I would expect commercial diameter.

#19 ·
my wife's dpms came with a commercial tube its got a vltor milspec now. receivers with commercial tubes can swap tubes for a milspec with no difficulties. the thread size is the same. the only difference is the size of the tube itself

#20 ·
Hmmm , for some reason I thought I had read they took a commercial buffer tube any one know what it really takes ?
The DPMS Oracle, as well as their other models all take a Commercial buffer tube. Most any stock option worth having comes in both Commercial and Mil-Spec buffer tube sizes. You can check to make absolutely sure before ordering any stock. Commercial tubes are sized 1.170" in diameter, while the Mil-Spec buffer tubes are smaller at 1.140" in diameter.

Another way to check is the Commercial buffer tubes have the back surface cut at an angle, while the Mil-Spec buffer tubes are cut at a square 90 degree angle to the tube itself. When I replaced my rear stocks my Colts took Mil-Spec, while most everything else took Commercial sized rear stock sets.

#22 ·
DPMS's basic stuff is pretty light. Their Sportical/Oracle type rifles check in right around 6.5lbs.

I bought a Sportical a few years back when AR's were going nuts (early '09). Got is barely used, with a Millet Red Dot, a tac rifle case, couple extra mags, and about 900rds of PMC for $900. It's been a great rifle. A couple hickups with Silver Bear, zero issues with any brass ammo through a few thousand rounds. Subtract the ammo value, and I'm only into the gun and accessories for $600 or so. No complaints.

I've upgraded the Glacier guards to MOE for a tighter fit and BCG just for the heck of it. Those two upgrades mount to all of about $125. The stock BCG became a spare, and I'll have a cheap and light extra AR that has yet to ever fail me with brass ammo...and it runs about 95% on the Russian stuff. Maybe it won't be my go-to when zombies or aliens invade, but it'll be a competent backup at the very least. And a heckuva fun range toy.

#23 · (Edited)
Is the Aimpoint Reflex and Magpul grip on order? How many rounds do you have through it? Any classes yet? I wonder how much ammunition could have been purchased instead of that other stuff?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.