My dog refuses to bark

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by nukinfuts29, Jun 2, 2012.

1. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

I have a 1.5 year old AKC Syberian Husky named "Felonious Assault", I call him Felon ;) Anyway most people are scared off by his appearence, he is not only a bi-eye but he weighs in at 116 pounds and looks like a wolf. Not those small wolves, I mean he looks like an actual massive wolf.

Anyway Felon refuses to bark. I think the only time I ever heard him growl or think of barking was when a huge pack of coyotes came into our yard during last deer season to try and get at a buck I had hanging way up. Even then he just mostly whined and paced around.

He also does not "sing" which may be related. Even if you try super hard to make him do it, he just does not care. He has howled maybe 3 times in his life.

Anyone have any training advice for getting him to bark at people he does not know?

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

116 lb Siberian Husky!? Good night! I've heard of Malamutes that big, but I've never heard of a Husky above 80.

Maybe he needs more time around other dogs.

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I know you see it as a problem. I wish my neighbor's dog had that problem. He's a 116lb Husky, maybe he knows just how bad a$$ he really is, and feels that barking is undignified for someone of his stature.

4. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Barking up the wrong tree.......

Seems your dog is smarter than most people..........lol......Have him watch the movie Call of the wild........You stop and think that maybe a trip to the vet and have his vocal cords checked out, he may have something that causes him pain when he barks or howls........He may be having hearing problems.......Silence is Golden..........Good luck......:)

5. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

Yea he was 35 pounds at 14 weeks. I went to pick him up and said NO WAY he is 14 weeks, but he was. See the comparison pics at the bottom of this post. 14 weeks, one year. He is even bigger now. The worst is when he runs from one end of the house to the other, my six year old step son has to leap out of the way.

I know, I'm supposed to enjoy it. I sleep fairly hard these days so it would be nice if he would do something if someone breaks in besides watch.

I actually did, they said some huskys just don't do it but physically he is fine. I have heard him howel maybe three times at coyotes at my moms, but as soon as i would run to the door to listen he would stop so I have no proof it was him lol.

Attached Files:

6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Hey consider yourself luck, the people across the lake from us have three of them, about the size of yours, and they NEVER quit barking. :(:confused::(:confused:

7. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Holly holly he's a big boy.

8. 94browninghunt

94browninghunt New Member

He's a big boy! My dog howls even though she's a German shep. But she barks at anything she feels threatening: skunks, yotes, snakes and stuff. You can try making him a little aggressive? He might get into the fact that it's ok to growl and bark for fun and when threatened

9. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I agree. He figures he has nothing to prove. :)

It doesn't always hold true, but seems the smaller they are, the louder they are. :)

10. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Maybe the breeder did something. I kinda trained my dog not to bark alot when he was around 5 to 6 weeks old.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

12. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I had a husky. She would never bark. If you are looking for a guard dog you might want to look into another breed.

13. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

Breeder was a consideration, but I know his brother and that dog never stops lol.

Yea I know but my last three weren't like that. I used to be a firm believer it is all in how you treat them.

Well I love the GS also, I'm big inter Ed Frawley's (Leerburg) home protection and police training but I don't want a puppy to take care of or a second big dog to deal with.

14. winds-of-change

how you treat them is only part of it. The instinct of the breed plays a big role. You're never going to be able to train a beagle out of putting his nose to the ground and following his nose. You're never going to be able to train a Pug to hunt. Huskies aren't known as guard dogs and I don't think you can teach him to be one. Enjoy the husky. I'm sure he's a great dog. But then get another dog whose instinct is to bark at strangers.

15. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

dammit this means i'm going to have to give in to the stupid pom thingy she wants

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Has he met a grown cat yet?

My mother's beagle is funny in that she barks at people and such but goes silent when she sees squirrels or rabbits; might be why her lot didn't end up huntin dogs.

17. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Great-looking dog! The looks alone would stop one in one's track.

18. winds-of-change

Poms are adorable and they will bark at most anything. :)

19. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

yea he chases my cat wobbles around all the time. Nothing gets him excited enough though. If you let the oven time go off long enough he whines to let you knw it's bothering him. maybe thats the trick

20. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

I have a red and white husky(akc) that sings quite a bit. Although she does not bark unless I provoke her. Very quiet otherwise. Great dogs. I'm curious about his size though. Mine is only 45 lbs which is large for females. I also have a german shepard (akc) and he wines more than he barks like your husky. The only time he barks is at the sound of the door bell. He is 120 and jet black. Scary looking and the biggest baby you have ever seen. Hopefully if someone breaks in they ring the door bell first lol