My dad just gave me an SKS

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ccase39, May 22, 2013.

1. ccase39

ccase39 Member

Any tips? Are they as easily modified as the AR? Is there a forum here that discusses SKS and AKs?

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Enjoy it as a handy rifle in a good caliber for deer and smaller game and don't try to make it too "tacticool"; it wasn't really designed for that, IMO.

3. Bravo_Sixx

Bravo_Sixx New Member

Yea, major congrats on the gift! Sweet!

4. ccase39

ccase39 Member

Thanks for the link guys. Yea I am pretty stoked about it. He got it before the ban so I know it is at least that old. Its never been shot and he doesn't have much interest in guns anymore so he just gave it to me. I do think it is a Chinese as it has a shorter stock. I do want to do something about that, but other than that I will stick to my AR when it comes to tacing it out.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Modifying the mag generally creates jamming problems.

There is a cleaning kit in the buttstock.

You can get a recoil pad milsurp which will

increase LOP. My SKSs are favorites of mine.

Best of luck.

6. ccase39

ccase39 Member

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Everyone should have an SKS laying around. Used to be cheap, I got a Yugo years back when they were $129 or whatever. Decent rifle.

8. combateffective4

combateffective4 New Member

I have a tri rail for an sks new in box i'm trying to sell ... Its pretty cool ... I was gonna get a sks but the idea fell threw ... Stuck with one box of ammo and a rail ... No sks but I had to build 2 ars instead... Works for me

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

You say it's Chinese...Is it and M or D type? does it use the regular SKS mag or does it use a mag like an AK?

At any rate a SKS is a mus have in every shooters safe. Their are mods but they are just fine as is. Minbe is an M type and has a Tapco stock on it now. They are very fun to shoot. I hope you enjoy yours for years to come.:)