My dad is considering moving here

Discussion in 'California Gun Forum' started by beastmode986, May 31, 2013.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Well, we are in Kalifornia right now and my dad thinks he might want to move here. He wanted to move to arizona but nobody has gotten back to him on job offers. So hes considering moving here despite the bad gun laws.
    Can you guys tell me all the good and bad about this place? Laws on magazines and ''assault'' weapons? Thanks

2. peopleofthesun

peopleofthesun New Member

3. ShotgunBritt

ShotgunBritt New Member

Don't move to Cali it sucks here, it's a hippie state and everyone is scared of fire arms and in general weapons go to Texas much cheaper too.
    -Brittany
    OC, CA

4. Fungi

Fungi New Member

Don't move here is my advise. If you guns already, they may not be legal to have or sell Cali. Don't be an accidental felon due to ignorance. Do your homework!

5. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

Dont forget that when you move here you have 10 days to register your handguns. And they had better be Calif. compliant.And NO so called assault rifles .
    As soon as it is possible Im out of here and Ive been here since 1964.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have gotten to the point where I am no longer going to make an effort to comply with the confusing and Draconian California gun laws. It has become impossible to do so. i don't intentionally do anything illegal, and I am not the sort of person who makes himself a target to law enforcement so it is unlikely I will become a victim of the new laws. I am at the same time entertaining a move out of state. I was born here and have lived my whole life here. But the oppression is too much.

Other than the politics and the cost of living California is the next best thing to paradise. It can get hot, but not so hot as AZ, NM or TX for the most part. If you locate outside of the Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay areas you will find that people are much less liberal and easier to get along with. I live in one of the areas known for the worst kind of liberalism and it is not bad at all. I spent a good part of today at a party with a bunch of artists outside of Santa Cruz and we were talking about how screwed up the government is, guns and art. pretty good company and these are the people I choose to associate with. There are a lot of us here. really.

What sort of job is your dad looking for?

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Humm? Too bad sounds like the Stockholm Syndrome.:confused:

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Is that directed at me?

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

If he can avoid it, I definitely recommend against moving here. Everyone has pretty much covered it all. Even the NRA can't do a whole lot here. They try, but the hippies have a super majority in the state legislature. What can you really do against that?

10. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Unfortunately, I have to move to California whether I want to or not. None of my guns will comply with CA laws (as I understand them, or as new ones are being entertained in the legislature). I am in a conundrum whether to comply or just go under the radar as best as I can. Unless something unforeseen happens I should never have a problem that would require a search of my property or anything like that. Any suggestions (outside of don't move)?

11. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Move to oklahoma instead

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

You could probably get away with 'sneaking them into' Cali but you'd never be able to take them out and shoot them at any range. I would retire the non-compliant guns in the safe and buy a whole new set of guns that you can shoot in Cali. LOL

13. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I would say comply. What are the penalties for not complying if you get caught. ?

14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I was born & raised in SoCal. I moved away when I was 15 (1981). CA still has much going for it in a lot of ways. However there is no way in hell I would consider moving there the way it is. High taxes. High cost of living. Seems to me that everyone with the means is moving out, to places like NV, OR & UT. CA is a sinking ship, this isn't the time to climb aboard.

http://townhall.com/columnists/vict.../12/one-california--or-two-n1697362/page/full

Are you in the armed forces?
    Yes? Leave your guns with a family member in a free state.
    No? Then you probably have some say in the matter.
    Under the RADAR? Don't do it. No one here is going to tell you to do anything illegal where firearms are concerned. The stakes are too high.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  15. britishbulldog

britishbulldog New Member

I'll look after them for you....just a short hop over the state line to OR...come shoot them anytime you want

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

As mentioned nobody is going to advise you to do anything illegal.

Many Californians are faced with the same questions you are asking here with pending legislation that is currently being discussed. Many of us are considering moving out of state, some are considering moving the outlawed items out of state but remaining here themselves and some are just locking up the illegal stuff and "throwing away the key" so to speak.

If I were in your position I would consider buying a gun safe and locking up all of my CA-illegal stuff in AZ and visiting there as often as I could. It could be kept at a friend's house or in a storage facility. I am sure that there are such available.

In response to what Winds said, I frequently see many people who shoot illegal weapons or have illegal items (standard-cal magazines FE) with impunity at public ranges and not get in trouble. A good friend of mine has a "highly illegal" Colt AR15 with 30-round mags that he was shooting at a public range when several members of a local SWAT team came in and were using the benches next to him. he was sh!tting bricks about it when one of them commented on it, they ended up trying out each other's guns and having a great old time. Nothing was said as to the legality of his rifle and there is no question that it is what I describe. Happens all the time. Same thing with competitions, we get out-of-state competitors here who bring their gear and use it without repercussions, ****ting with LE competitors and all.

In other words, there is a great deal of peaceful non-compliance going on here. I am not advocating you take that route, but I will say that if you get caught up in a situation where your guns are an issue, you will be a n some very, very serious trouble. That does happen too.

17. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

On some guns I believe if you bring them with you you can keep them for instance you can have a Gen 4 but you can't buy a gen 4 in California gen 4 Glock f.y.i.
    Other guns you might just have to alter to make them California legal.

Best suggestion I can tell you is Google California gun laws do a search on moving to California with your existing guns what is legal what isn't

Don't take anything you read on a forum: to be accurate investigate it yourself.

Cal guns might be a good place to search

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Calguns is an excellent resource. Not as friendly as here, but a great resource nevertheless.