My custom 188 Mini 14

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by Brewin's Bullets, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Brewin's Bullets

Brewin's Bullets New Member

So I have an old Mini 14 serial number 188. Grew up shooting it on the farm. (It is a ranch rifle isn't it) I love the gun, its reliable, tough and durable.
    From shooting prairie dogs to keeping coyotes away from the cattle. It works well in the snow and rain. Never had an issue.

Well just one issue. And that is accuracy! Shooting 4-5 inch groups at 100yd well that's just not gonna cut it. So I set out to make my mini the best rifle I could.

So first things first the stock. I wanted it lighter and to be a better fit to me. So well what's light. And strong?
    Carbon fiber! No not a wrap. I'm talking legit carbon fiber.
    To start I got a 36"x3"x3" piece of balsa wood. For around 80$ canadian.

I started by cutting the balsa wood to a rough shape using a band saw. Then cleared out some room for the housing. Using my rotor. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I made room for my slide assembly
    [​IMG]

Once I was done carving out the inside of my wood it was time for a fit test to make sure everything was gonna line up perfectly. [​IMG]

After a few hours with some sand paper and wood chisels I got everything to fit loosly in place . Now I was on to shaping the outside. This is where the time consuming work really began. Many hours of sanding to get perfect shape. Without taking to much off.

[​IMG]

I had a lot more photos of the sanding process but where lost on my other phone.

Once I had a almost final shape done it was time to bed the rifle. Not glass bed. Carbon bed it or atleast my take on it.

I brushed on a coat of epoxy and placed a piece of carbon fiber roughly in place and locked in my action.

[​IMG]

Let this sit overnight then removed.
    Then I layed a layer of epoxy over the slide assembly shroud.

[​IMG]

Once this was done I put on my first coat of epoxy followed by my first layer of carbon fiber. Then sanded down to a smooth shape.

[​IMG]

I put the rifle back together to see how it all fit. Sanded down the inside of the foregrip to free float my barrel/gas block to make sure there there was zero spring in my barrel.

Once I was happy with how everything fit together I was on to my second and final wrap of carbon fiber. So I layed down another base coat and applied my fiber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let it dry over night then sanded down. And made sure everything still fit good and was how I wanted it to look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I was happy with it's fit it was on to sanding and polishing it down to a nice smooth finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This will be part one for the day. I'll try and get the rest of the project upload to day or in the next couple days. Along with all the other mods I did and the accuracy improvements after each. With photos.

Dallas53 likes this.
  2. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Dang!

Just Dang!

Just REALLY Dang!

Thank you for sharing!

Brewin's Bullets and Dallas53 like this.

3. Brewin's Bullets

Other mods I have done.

Roll pin into gas bushing

[​IMG]

Polished trigger. Factory was a rough 7-8 pound pull. Polished down to a crisp Smith pull breaking at 3.5 pounds.

Polished and sanded every moving part and friction spot with 1500 sand paper.

Added a longer spring for slider
    Back buffer pad mad from leather. ( don't tell my girlfriend I cut up one of her horse straps)
    Front buffer pad with 2 inch spring to stop the forward slamming motion.

[​IMG]

Handload ammo

My own little stabilizer system for barrel harmonics. ( 3 5/8 shaft collars ) trust me it works. Making version 2.0 as we speak. Give a little sneak peak at end

[​IMG]

Added spray roof sealant to make grips on rifle.

Tightened gas block screws evenly

And now what I'm currently working on
    A barrel sleeve first layer copper followed my 7/8 aluminum tube. Has yet to be tested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The copper will spread the heat evenly threw the bareel and the aluminum sleeve will keep the barrel sturdy while also acting like as a heat sink. Just need to square up the crown for Evan gas distribution. Next post will have pictures of targets at 100yd

formerCav, Dallas53 and RJF22553 like this.
  4. Brewin's Bullets

Targets are all shot at 100yd with hand loads. 58gr v max cfe 223 and it 4064

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And that famous flyer from the 5 shot groups. Think I have a solution for that just have to test it out.

But to go from 4-5 " group at 100yd to .75 to 1.5 moa average with a 3x scope I think is pretty good. And I still have untested mods I wanna try

SRK97 and Dallas53 like this.
  5. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

very impressive! nice work.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Brewin's Bullets likes this.
  6. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Nice work. BTW, what software are you using for target analysis?

7. Brewin's Bullets

Hey thanks! It's called range buddy

formerCav and Dallas53 like this.
  8. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

awesome.
    I had a mini 14 that I bought about 1980 at Montgomery Wards and I picked it up at their loading dock (catalog sales). It was either 119 or 219 bucks back then.
    Like a moron, I traded it in on a bolt gun in 1993 to go shoot prairie dogs with. Worse yet, I didn't even check the prices on gun list so I really took it in the shorts.
    It was a real early model. It even had a ROLLER Bearing on the bolt where it rides in the operating rod. I've never seen another like it.
    Mine shot about 2 inches at 100 and I thought that was really bad back in the day.
    The 700 Remington that I bought on that trade in will group at 1/2 inch with Cascade Ammo 55 grain reloads.
    I still have that 700.

9. RJF22553

Dang Brewin! Mine can shoot MUCH better! I'll see your .75-1.5 MOA with my 4 MOA!!!!:D:D:D

4 is > than 1.5, isn't it???:D

Great shooting and great mod to a Mini! You showed us some new tricks.

Thanks!

10. sandog

sandog Active Member

Nice job Brewin !
    Some good innovations.
    I'll tell you though, the roll pin inside the bushing doesn't last near as long as a good smaller purpose made bushing.
    All of mine got pretty flame cut after just a few hundred rounds.
    One time, after only a few shots, the gun choked, I took it apart to find the roll pin had been blown partially out of the bushing.
    These days I just buy bushings from ASI or Hadaway, and they last a long, long time.

11. Brewin's Bullets

Hey that is sandog. Yea the roll pins are just temporary. And getting bushings here in Canada seem to be difficult. And no machine shops I talk to will make me one. But this is okay I have a little plan involving a ar 15 adjustable gas block.:) more on that later tho still have to test my previous mods once I get back from working on the road.

12. RJF22553

Brewin', I suspect Hadaway would be able to send them to you. They could serve several purposes - not just as a gun part. The fact that you might use them in your Mini can be merely coincidental. Perhaps for a wire welder...

13. youngridge

youngridge Well-Known Member

I can't say much except that looks great!!

14. sandog

sandog Active Member

That carbon fiber stock is nice, good work. How do you like the pistol grip ? I tried a Choate pistol grip stock last year and really liked how fast it was to swing around, and the pistol grip felt real natural to the wrist. It had some fitment problems though, the trigger group started falling out. Choate replaced it with one they had tested, but I had already moved on to an old style Ruger wood stock.
    Your optic looks rather high, but it looks like you took care of that by making the stock straighter with no drop.
    Good groups. What twist do you have ? Have you tried Match bullets in the 68-69 grain range ?

15. Brewin's Bullets

My mini is a 1in7 twist I have tried the hrndy 69gr bthp with 3 inch or more grouping with 3 different powders. But the lighter gr v max seems to hit the spot. Yeah when I made the stock I put a slight lean to the pistol grip to match my hands for how I like to shoot. And fit it to my hand perfectly. Kinda funny my neighbour cant shoot it cuz his hands are to small lol. My groups will be better once I test out my new mods. Hopefully this weekend. I'm hoping for less then a inch. Yes the scope does sit high. I am missing the price to lower it. Also it has a focal plain of 3 inches so I need to move it back more :( . But is nice because it is a bdc. 100-200 ,300 , 400 ,500 haven't tested it that much because of hand loads but I will leave some results on how true the bdc is

Dallas53 likes this.
  16. formerCav

try this load for your 1 in 7 twist barrel.
    77 grain sierra match king
    standard small rifle winchester brand primers
    LC brass or NEW winchester brass
    24.5 grains of Varget.
    Remember.... ALL disclaimers apply. Reduce loads 10 percent and work up from there. Your chamber, throat is different then mine!
    This is what a lot of guys used in NRA highpower rifle matches Across the Course (200, 300, and 600 yards)
    I used it and had great results
    HTH
    Bob

17. Brewin's Bullets

Hey thanks Bob I'll be sure to give that a shot! Lol shot... only thing for me is varget is a hard powder for me to get for some reason no one carries it any recommendations for a website in Canada? I'll let you know how that works!! Thanks a ton

Dallas53 likes this.
  18. formerCav

can't you buy it from a US source, like midsouth shooters supply dot com or is that illegal?

19. formerCav

how about Cabella's in Canada. I just looked it up.
    they have it for 44 bucks a pound. I didnt' look at the 8 pound price as you may want to "test it" first.