My constant little buddy

Discussion in 'Beretta Forum' started by Rancid, Oct 23, 2020.

1. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

"
    Written by: Greg Ellifritz

By now, you’ve likely seen the news article from a couple weeks ago. An armed robber shot a compliant victim in the face. The bullet ricocheted off the victim’s skull and hit the second robber, killing him. Read about it HERE.

It may seem strange, but it happens all the time. Bullets sometimes do weird things when they hit the skull. Most of the time they penetrate, but sometimes they bounce off or get deflected. A quick Google search found these recent incidents:

Stray Bullet Rips Through Home, Bounces Off Man’s Head

Bullet hits Florida man in the head, bounces off

Police shoot man, end hostage crisis in Lakemore

Girl shot in the head in drive-by is saved after bullet bounces off her GLASSES

Besides merely being an interesting phenomenon, why is this information useful?

It is critical that you understand that head shots may not be your best bet, especially when you are within contact distance of your attacker. If you shoot your attacker in the head, there is a possibility that you might get hit by your own ricocheting bullet. The robber in the first story obviously didn’t recognize this fact. I hope you will be smarter than he is.

I often see my students shooting head shots on silhouette targets and feeling good when their shots hit anywhere within the outline of the head. That’s not good enough. Bullets to the cheek or jaw will often not stop the attacker. Bullets to the forehead sometimes ricochet. If you are going for a head shot, you should place your bullet into the inverted triangle formed by your opponent’s brow ridge and ending at the tip of his nose. This location will stop him the fastest and has the least potential for ricochet.

upload_2020-10-23_19-28-48.png
    [​IMG]
    The occular-nasal triangle where you should be placing your bullets

If you are within arms reach of your opponent, you should consider another target instead. If the head is available, the neck should be available as well. Putting a bullet in the neck will likely stop your attacker just as quickly as a head shot (the neck contains the trachea, spine, and major blood vessels), but without the ricochet danger.

Something to think about…"

sheepdawg, Ghost1958 and AgedWarrior like this.
  2. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

You are just being totally obtuse and arguing just for the sake of argument. I have no use for your kind. Since I don't give a rip what you think I am hitting your "ignore" button. Bye bye.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    CMAB2SA likes this.

3. BillDeShivs

The "kind"that presents facts instead of myth?
    Ignore is what I would expect you to do.

4. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Rambo I mean Rancid doesn't like advice Bill no matter how sound or well intended.

How are things in Collierville? I got out of Shelby in July.

BillDeShivs likes this.
  5. BillDeShivs

Things are fine here. Looking for a house/land in the country. Just missed a deal with a 40 X 100 shop in Slayden. Ms.

ellis36 and sheepdawg like this.
  6. sheepdawg

Consider being on his ignore list a badge of honor, I was number 1.:)

I got out of Memphis and bought an acre here in Demorest GA. Some pretty good hills, different as heck than Shelby.

7. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

At least he wasnt demanded to " READ THE BOOK" before he got the ignore button .

manta, AgedWarrior and sheepdawg like this.
  8. sheepdawg

I'm avoiding that book and braggards are usually lightweights and the first to run.

AgedWarrior and Ghost1958 like this.
  9. BillDeShivs

What book would that be?

10. sheepdawg

His New Testament.
    images.jpeg-1.jpg

11. BillDeShivs

Doesn't look very impressive. Is he a disciple of the book, or did he write it?

Ghost1958 and locutus like this.
  12. Oaktree45

Oaktree45 Well-Known Member

For many years my constant buddy was a Junior Colt in .25 caliber. I finally retired it in favor of my now good buddy a Colt Pocketlite in .380. The weight difference between the two is negligible and the Pocketlite is only slightly larger. The sights on the Pocketlite are so much better than the Junior which equates to better accuracy at longer distances.

IMG_4743.JPG

CMAB2SA and AgedWarrior like this.
  13. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

I deleted my remarks...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Ghost1958 and manta like this.
  14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Hi folks! C3 here. It's Saturday morning, and I got to go put on my Admin cap already- usually it's about 9PM on Saturdays, but cooler weather does that.

Rules of the house- you are free to disagree with another poster. Not to disrespect them, call them names, kick their dog. Your feeling good is NOT to be contingent on making someone else feel bad.

This is the internet (notice the pretty machine with the lights in front of you?) We are not in a bar where some oaf is trying to shove in behind where you are sitting, and just spilled half a beer down your neck. WALK AWAY.

Please note that you are not required to announce that you are going to walk away, nor to announce that someone else is walking away.

Anyone that is determined that they just GOTTA go pee on a fire hydrant to mark their territory- fire hydrants are out there. Now lighten up.

15. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

I humbly apologize...

16. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

I routinely carry a 357 snubby or a 16-round 380 ... and often both. My little Beretta 21A lives in my blue jeans pocket and is always there ... if I have pants on it is there. It is there for those extremely rare occasions when am not carrying anything on my belt, and for a last-ditch back-up in other conceivable situations.

Whether or not a .22 is regarded as viable for self defense is irrelevant ... I do what I do and I am going to continue doing it ... it is far preferable to a sharp stick. Some people will go on and on about a 380 being "under powered". They can go on and on forever and I will still continue to do what I am doing. Some have gone on and on about a 357 being "over powered". They too can go on and on forever and I will still continue to do what I am doing. Other people's opinions are fine. They can state them and let it be. But when they deliberately instigate an argument venturing into absolutely ridiculous references to make their point just to continue an argument, they are going to get ignored ... permanently ... whether or not I let them know it. I will follow the advice above from now on and not let them know it. But ignored they will be.

17. sheepdawg

It's like the preacher on TV Sunday waving the Bible around. I'd wager the words "grassy knoll" are in it.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Bill, If you read the post I said it was suggested to put a round into the pelvis as the gun came up. Any shot in the pelvic area will hurt and there is a good chance of getting the femoral artery. A dead center hit in the groin will probably make a bad guy reach down and start crying. There was a 2nd part of the suggestion I did not enter. If you are facing possible body armor the groin/pelvic area is a good shot and it is not moving around as much as a head.

Ghost1958 and Rancid like this.
  19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I've read comic books that made more sense than "the book.":p

But I guess we all gotta have out own scripture.:rolleyes:

manta and sheepdawg like this.
  20. sheepdawg

I just found two boxes of 38 148 gr. wadcutters in my stash. Might be a good winter round for my model 12 snubby. If they bounce off a skull it's still going to give someone a hell of a headache. boink.gif

AgedWarrior and locutus like this.