My Completed (Almost) Mini

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by sandog, Dec 23, 2013.

1. sandog

sandog Member

Now I've got the Hogue stock on, and sprayed the Nikon EER scope. No, I didn't throw the scope in the oven, it has Brownell's Alumahyde II. Brownell's Coyote Brown Alumahyde is a pretty close match for Cerakote FDE, it's a bit more glossy now but will dull as it cures completely. All I want to do to finish my Mini is get another Tech rear sight, and install some GG&G Q.D. swivel sockets for a V-Tac Coyote sling. I will drill a hole for the GG&G sockets in the side of the butt stock and the side of the fore end. Then they will be epoxied and screwed in.
    http://www.gggaz.com/universal-quick-detach-sling-attachment.html
    The Accustrut helped the accuracy a lot, the Ultimak and the flash hider install helped some more. Will post some 100 yard targets with various loads as soon as I get out to the range.

Attached Files:

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Sandog,

I must admit, I am not at all a big Mini Fan! But I want to tell you! That is one of the finest looking Mini and packages that I have ever seen. You are to be commended for the fine work and the general overall of this weapon. I would not be in the least unwilling to own one like yours! Next we need a Range Report!
    GREAT JOB!:D

3. sandog

sandog Member

Thanks. I did go to a range today, drove an hour to where there was no snow, but the wind was pretty strong, so I didn't stay long. See my post: Mini Range Time.

4. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Now that DOES look like a Mini version of the M1.

5. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Very nice indeed. Well done..........

Jim.......

6. LocoTonyF

LocoTonyF New Member

I am new to minis. I have a mini 14 and 30 on layaway at my favorite LGS. What is the Accustrut and the Ultimak and what do they do?

7. LocoTonyF

LocoTonyF New Member

Yours is an awesome looking rifle, BTW.

8. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I like the color combination, well done

9. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

This[​IMG]

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The Ultimak rail replaces the upper hand guard and allows the mounting of an EER (scout) scope. It also adds some stiffness to the barrel for increased accuracy. Mine has the Ultimak rail and a Burris 2.75x EER scope in low quick release rings. It also keeps the action free for ease of field stripping or clearing a possible malfunction.
    The Accustrut is a barrel stiffener/heat sink that attaches forward of and to the gas block. They do work. I had one on an earlier mini and it did improve the accuracy. My current mini is the newer model with the heavier barrel and I have not needed to install one. It is accurate enough as it is.
    Mine is all black.

11. LocoTonyF

LocoTonyF New Member

Thanks both for your replies. Mine on layaway both have the black stocks too. I have extensive experience with the M16 and AR. I am really just bored with them and want to go to something else. I've always wanted a Mini but never gotten one. I have great respect for the Garand platform and probably should have gone this route on the beginning.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  12. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

the ultimak is an after market rail. many say it works much as a strut in that it stiffens the barrel and reduces heat build up. costs more than a strut, but you get the rail.

a strut is an aftermarket accurizing add on. it helps older thin barreled minis significantly (cuts groups in half or better). on the newer minis, the accuracy improvement is normally less as they barrel is already improved. the strut also acts as a good heat sink imo. on both new and old minis. costs less then the ultimak, but no rail included. always get 2 clamp models unless you are only getting it cause you like the looks.

13. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1409499301.053679.jpg

Here is my Mini with an Ultimak installed. Very easy do it yourself project. Replaces the crappy plastic handguard with a nice rail for forward mounted optics, lights or whatever you desire. Hope the crappy pictures help. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1409499422.095768.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1409499442.828913.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

14. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

nice set up!

15. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Thanks. I kept it pretty plain, but sent it off to John Baker at Great West Gunsmith for an accurizing project. It shoots great and flawlessly. Now I just need to get out and use it more.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

16. LocoTonyF

LocoTonyF New Member

Thanks for the pictures, Hawkguy. I believe I will set mine up similarly.

17. LocoTonyF

LocoTonyF New Member

I'll start a new thread...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014