Firearms Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
@Tjt welcome to the site. When you get a chance please head over to intros and tell us a little abt yourself. What do you like? Reload? Compete? Hobbies, background, etc.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would settle for a reproduction ...

Nice Revolver !
Tell us the story behind it ... a interesting revolver should have a story !

I thought my Grandfather had a 1851 Colt Navy ... but it turned out to be a Manhatten 36 cal. looks similar but not near as collectible as the Colt .
Gary

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would settle for a reproduction ...

Nice Revolver !
Tell us the story behind it ... a interesting revolver should have a story !

I thought my Grandfather had a 1851 Colt Navy ... but it turned out to be a Manhatten 36 cal. looks similar but not near as collectible as the Colt .
Gary
I inherited this revolver and an 1860 from my father when he passed waaaaay back in '79. My bro got the '51 Navy. The back story to the '49 and '51 goes back to "Buffalo Bill" Cody.
I have the provenance from my father but I can't get either "lettered" by Colt because of the factory fire back in 1863 which burned it to the ground and all the records were lost. I don't doubt the provenance--my dad wasn't a story-teller. I just can't prove it, unfortunately.

·
Supporting Member
14,395 Posts
Tjt
Here is confirmation on your Hammer!
The 1849 began production in 1850 and ceased production in 1873.
And by the way, there were some slight variations regarding the Hammers used during their production.

Air gun Wood Everyday carry Gun accessory Revolver

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
One of the most popular pistols Colt ever made (and with good reason). The serial number will provide a production date from various sources. Even the Dixie Gunworks catalog has a list from 1847-1875. Nice pistol, BTW.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hell yeah man, that thing's awesome. They don't make 'em that beautiful anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts