My colt 1911 gov, Any info???

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by HighPlainsDrifter, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone can tell me anything about my colt. I have had it for about 3 years now. It was given to me by a close friend as a birthday gift. Its all original except the grips and possibly the sights. The mags are colt brand 8rd and 7rd. the serial # from what i can tell places it at about 68 or 69 date. That is all i can tell and find about it. I had a Cabelas appraiser tell me it is a nice one put not worth to much he said about 600. Is this true? I don't know if i believe that but i could be wrong. Any way here are the pics if you guys need anymore let me know. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Your appraiser probably is not all that far off. From a user standpoint the Colt mags can be a drawback being many 191 owners will put stock mags up and get better ones from any one of a few makers. It does look like the sights look like theywhereput on later but I'm really not enough of a Colt guy to say that with 100% confidence.
    As a collector piece it does not look to have been refinished and that is a good thing. Aftermarket finishes can bring value down.

Bottom line is the weapon is not that old so unless one was to find a collector with a hole that only that weapon could fill it would get what used Colts bring these days. Colts run a litle higher than some others mainly because they where the guys to bring us this wonderful design that has taken the world by storm and it does not look like any pistol will remove it from it's throne any time soon. Most Colts I've shot and/or owned have been very nice pistols. Reliable, accurate, and just plain good looking. With your post worded as it is I'm guessing you are looking to sell it and are fishing for a price. I would look to sell it to a person and not to a shop.
    You will come out much better 95% of the time. You might try looking at gunbroker and see what ones in similar shape are selling for. Check to see if any are in your area as geography can have a lot to do with what a firearm will bring.

You have a real nice pistol there. It was me and I didn't have to I'd surely not be looking to get rid of it. It sure wont get any less valuable over time as long as it's being taken care of. :)

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

It looks like there are a couple of dings / scratches. He gave a fair price and I would sell that for around the same (based on what I see). My concern would be (as buyer), what else has been worked on? Aftermarket grips and different sights are signs that other things may have been attempted. Looking closer and shooting it would give me more of an idea.

4. thanks for your input on this guys. Im not looking to sell it, i just wanted to get more of an idea about it. I cant believe it is only worth about 600. You can get a para for that. Oh well. On its originality im pretty sure other then the sights and grips everything thing is still original even the springs.

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I got my Para LTC new for a little over 600. It's scary accurate at 25 yards.I've hit golf balls at 50 yds. with it. I wouldn't be too quick to downplay a Para Ord

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Nice Pre-70 Series Commercial Gov't models bring more than $600. The problem with yours is that some moron put Millet sights on it. Look inside the slide where the front sight mounts. Are there two round holes? If so, it is a "dual crimp" front sight. Yech. The holes can be welded shut and a good front sight done . The rear is easy to change. Those sights were VERY popular in the mid '70's.

Good news? Since it has been gorked already, just mount some Heinie low mount "slant pros" on it. Then use the snot out of it.

Lose those silly stocks, too. Jeez. :)

7. Yeah it is a dual crimp. thanks for the info

8. Oh i have some beckelhymers wood grips that came with it to. I dont know anything about them.

9. Are these better?

Attached Files:

10. tmoore912

tmoore912 New Member

So much better! Now we're getting somewhere.

:cool:

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Dramatically.

12. HAHAHAHA.:D. Have you ever heard of beckelhymers grips before? Not trying to get off topic but i did a thread on the topic but no response. You have great info on the 1911 so i figured there is know one better to ask.

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Beckelhymers was a place in Texas (or Oklahoma?) that sold competition supplies (The Midway of it's day). Been gone for a LONG time. Maybe they had their own brand of grips and stuff.

14. oldgrunt

oldgrunt New Member

Beckelhymer's was a gun store in Laredo, Texas until Edward Beckelhymer Jr was convicted in 1973 of violating the 1968 gun control act.
    Kim

15. CaptCraig

CaptCraig New Member

About Beckelhymer's

Beckelhymer's was a gunshop in the 1950's and 1960's era that was located at 513 Salinas Ave in Laredo Texas. During that time they were a popular gunshop that produced pistol boxes and gear for Bull's Eye shooters. I was digging through a box the other day and came across 2 .38 Super barrels from Colt and 2 .38 compensators from Beckelhymers. My dad bought these parts new back around 1960.

- Capt Craig

16. crown1947

crown1947 New Member

I have a colt 1911 Mark IV gold cup ntl match series 70 in original box .valued from $900to $1100. like everything else its only worth what someone will pay for it LOL.

17. Drifter, you must remember

A dealer will offer you a price below market value so he can make a profit on it when he sells it.

Okay, the sights have been changed. From a 'pure, unused' collector standpoint it's not so perfect. From a shooter standpoint, not a big deal. Unless the perspective shooter wants some other special sort of sights on it.

It's a good basic pistol. I prefer the pre Series 70 guns myself. The Series 70 guns aren't bad either, but I prefer the older ones.

Concurrent with some of the other posters, I find basic flat grips work best for me. Pretty wood and proper checkering is a plus, but no point in having ledges, ribs and grooves for me.